Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

I think it's better to get up to speed before the hill. That way, you're not bogging down the motor at low rpm. Seemed better for me when I attacked a 15% grade yesterday.

Has anyone used a bigger cassette in the rear instead of 11-32, maybe 11-36 in order to keep the RPMs high on the steep hills so the motor won't bog down? I have 25-30% grades in my area where I live. After reading some more in the thread it seems you can increase the assistance of the motor using App. That should help rpms, correct?

Last edited:

I had the cassette changed to a 28 tooth bottom when ordering. 32 would never use. Don't believe Ultegra will go run to 36?

I had the cassette changed to a 28 tooth bottom when ordering. 32 would never use. Don't believe Ultegra will go run to 36?

The Ultegra medium cage Shadow derailleur R8000 or Di2 R8050 will fit a 11-40tooth. I have it on mine for 30% grades.

Yeah I'm STILL trying to figure out how best to attack shorter hills. I actually wasn't getting consistent full power out of the motor at L3 with high rpms (and speed 13-15) so was trying out of the saddle with a big gear... I definitely feel the assistance but still think I'm going slower than I should be for the total watts being generated. (Most bike speed calculators suggest 500w should result in 18+mph on a 4% grade... I should be putting out at least that much with the motor but am going 15mph or less!)

Please continue to share your hill techniques and experiences everyone... its very helpful!

Good to know Ed on the Stages incombatibility with the Gain.
I still need to get a test ride in at Mike's Bikes on a Gain and I too would like to hear more hill techniques experiences, especially the 1 mile steep pitches.

Is it true that you can bump up the Level 3 assistance using app to help increase the pedaling cadence on steep hills like 19% pitches gradient so the motor does not bog down like I have heard? Or is it better to get a mountain bike cassette 11-36t? This is my goal: Basically I am hoping to do 75-85 or more RPM on a hill like this with 12% average gradient https://www.strava.com/segments/535165?filter=overall

Last edited:
FORTY!!! Cant imagine what that looks like? Must weigh a fair amount?
Lol! Yea it helps a lot on steep 1 mile hills, especially towards end of ride when legs are gassed. The Gain will replace that bike, but just wondering how the gearing choice on the cassette will be (or maybe just increase assistance of level 3 instead of changing cassette) to maintain 75-85 rpm (without bogging motor) on that same hill that I posted on previous thread.

Lol! Yea it helps a lot on steep 1 mile hills, especially towards end of ride when legs are gassed. The Gain will replace that bike, but just wondering how the gearing choice on the cassette will be (or maybe just increase assistance of level 3 instead of changing cassette) to maintain 75-85 rpm (without bogging motor) on that same hill that I posted on previous thread.

OK. For what it's worth? My experience of climbing hills on the Gain. It likes torque. Seems you get more assist response climbing in "n" out of saddle as opposed to spinning. This suits MY climbing style. The assist also allows you to climb using 1-2 gears higher again this seems to produce the torque it responds too. Something I haven't looked at yet? You can adjust the mapping of each assist level. In theory I guess, giving the ability to programme max assist along the output curve? Hope that makes sense?

OK. For what it's worth? My experience of climbing hills on the Gain. It likes torque. Seems you get more assist response climbing in "n" out of saddle as opposed to spinning. This suits MY climbing style. The assist also allows you to climb using 1-2 gears higher again this seems to produce the torque it responds too. Something I haven't looked at yet? You can adjust the mapping of each assist level. In theory I guess, giving the ability to programme max assist along the output curve? Hope that makes sense?

Thanks Jaxx! My climbing style is seated and spinning. What is "n" assistance? Is there just level 1, 2, 3?
For a spinner as myself, I hope there is an option where I or dealer could program it for my spinning preference of 75-85 rpm?

I rode up a mountain yesterday. 12 mile climb, 3800', average 5% grade but higher in places and 15% near the top. I was almost all in the L1 setting, L3 at the top and L0 for the first couple of miles near the bottom where the grade is slight, and for the 12 mile descent. I had 42% battery life remaining at the end of the ride. I wonder if I would have had enough battery to do the climb in L2? On the last 15% grade, I was a little disappointed that I didn't have more speed in L3. I guess that's to be expected as I was only doing 5 mph and the motor doesn't generate that much power at low rpm. I probably only averaged about 1 mph faster on the ride than I would have done on my road bike. It was easier though. The bike handled well on the downhill. I had a squeal from the front brake once. I think the brake pads got too hot, as the descent is twisty and required a lot of braking. Maybe I was dragging the brakes some.

Thanks for the report Mike! That has me thinking. When you were in L3 on the 15% pitch and low rpm, is there a way to increase the assistance of level 3 on app to get you into a faster cadence like 75-85 rpm? Otherwise would a 11-36 or 11-40 cassette help? I am more of a seated spinner which is why I ask.

Thanks Jaxx! My climbing style is seated and spinning. What is "n" assistance? Is there just level 1, 2, 3?
For a spinner as myself, I hope there is an option where I or dealer could program it for my spinning preference of 75-85 rpm?

Sorry, meant to be read as "in and out" of saddle. Go onto emotion site. They have a couple of pdf's to download about the app. Explains how you can alter output mapping curve. With a warning? Not to be extreme with it. They also go on to say. In future with feedback, they will be updating areas of the application. I'm certain this will include, maximising motor and battery efficiency on a continuous programme. I also here for 2020 bikes the power control button is to be reconfigured.

I used the ebikemotion app for the first time on my bike yesterday. Anyone else notice that the power percentage reading jumps around so you don't get a consistent reading?
Is there an option to choose 3 or 5 second average on app. Garmin has that option/

Is there an option to choose 3 or 5 second average on app. Garmin has that option/

Anyone who uses power cranks, will know? - You Don't Get a Smooth Reading. No-one, including Chris Frome can pedal that efficiently or smoothly. And that's without even taking into consideration the jolting coming from the road surface.

Has anyone experimented with their bluetooth HR monitor to the app in order to have the motor assist to keep your HR below a certain threshold?

Thanks for the report Mike! That has me thinking. When you were in L3 on the 15% pitch and low rpm, is there a way to increase the assistance of level 3 on app to get you into a faster cadence like 75-85 rpm? Otherwise would a 11-36 or 11-40 cassette help? I am more of a seated spinner which is why I ask.
No, the assistance is already at 100% (the default value). If you need a faster cadence, lower gears will do it. I think the Shimano 105 derailleur can handle up to a 34 tooth cog.

No, the assistance is already at 100% (the default value). If you need a faster cadence, lower gears will do it. I think the Shimano 105 derailleur can handle up to a 34 tooth cog.

Good to know. Thanks! Shimano is on the conservative side when it specs it's derailleur limits. I have 36t on one and a 40t on another non-motor road bike and both are Shadow R8000 derailleurs like the 105. Not too concerned about weight as the Gain is already light and I weigh 143 pounds, but more concerned about cadence and getting up steep hills with assistance of the motor .

Thanks again Mike!

I think I have mentioned in an earlier post that I also own a Giant Road E that I purchased last summer because it was the only road ebike available in Canada at the time. While I was fairly happy with the Giant for the half season I rode it, I had not ridden it since the snow came last fall. That changed today as I had to make a quick trip home from Arizona and dusted off the Giant to do a short 50km ride. It must be a function of my age but I had remembered the bike to be more powerful and easier to ride than it seemed to be today after spending the past 6 weeks on my Gain but the difference is lite years. Even though the Gain is half the power l feel I can ride it faster and it has more maneuverability. The Giant is also twice the weight of the Gain. I have been totaly spoiled by my Gain expirience and because Orbea has decided not to offer the Gain to the Canadian market until 2020 I'm going to have to consider my options for when I return to Canada for the 2019 ride season. I have investigated bringing my existing bike back to Canada but that presents some logistical issues as we fly and the Gain can not fly not to speak of paying an additional 18% + CDN duty/taxes on the retail price of the bike bought in US $. Most likely option is the Bianchi Aria. Almost identical bike except it does not have endurance geometry. Anyway I just can't express how much I enjoy my Gain.
Can't you ground ship your bike via UPS from Arizona? I know people that have done tours in the US ship their bikes that way rather than check them as luggage on the plane, which was more expensive. I think ground shipping of Li-ion batteries by ground is Okay. Not sure if the rules have changed but you can check with UPS or FedEx. I don't think USPS allows It, not sure about that either.

Back