Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

I was hoping to hear better news on the Gain. I have the 2017 or 18 Giant Road-E (senior moment), and having ridden for decades, was initially self conscious by the obvious battery. I still ride my mountain bike (no e-power) and mtn uni (obviously no e-power) but just love the Giant. Sure, it weighs over 40 lbs, which is crazy...but if feels amazing to ride both up and downhill. Even the lowest mode - which is controlled on the bar btw, makes that weight disappear and the stability of the heavier bike is amazing, especially on descents. I often ride without any power for an extra workout and kind of get a kick when I pass riders on the flats who give me sh//t as they don't realize I just passed them on a much heavier bike, with no assist. Eco mode (1 out of 5 on the Giant) makes the bike feel the same as my 21 lb Look. The beauty is that when it's getting dark or windy or I just want to fly, the bike can maintain 28 mph. And battery life is fantastic. I've never come close to using up the battery on a single ride, even at 70 miles with lots of climbing. Could easily do 100. I hope Orbea gets it together, or others step in. I'm sure I'll need a new bike in a few years and can't wait to see what becomes available. But that 28mph is a thing of beauty and would be hard to give up now.

I was hoping to hear better news on the Gain. I have the 2017 or 18 Giant Road-E (senior moment), and having ridden for decades, was initially self conscious by the obvious battery. I still ride my mountain bike (no e-power) and mtn uni (obviously no e-power) but just love the Giant. Sure, it weighs over 40 lbs, which is crazy...but if feels amazing to ride both up and downhill. Even the lowest mode - which is controlled on the bar btw, makes that weight disappear and the stability of the heavier bike is amazing, especially on descents. I often ride without any power for an extra workout and kind of get a kick when I pass riders on the flats who give me sh//t as they don't realize I just passed them on a much heavier bike, with no assist. Eco mode (1 out of 5 on the Giant) makes the bike feel the same as my 21 lb Look. The beauty is that when it's getting dark or windy or I just want to fly, the bike can maintain 28 mph. And battery life is fantastic. I've never come close to using up the battery on a single ride, even at 70 miles with lots of climbing. Could easily do 100. I hope Orbea gets it together, or others step in. I'm sure I'll need a new bike in a few years and can't wait to see what becomes available. But that 28mph is a thing of beauty and would be hard to give up now.
What better news were you looking for on the Gain? Those of us that have Gain's love them. Perhaps you are not looking for a Class I E bike and you seem to prefer a Class III? Apples to oranges.

Last edited:
Read Zeek48's posting above. He has both bikes and prefers the Gain over the Giant.

Last edited:
Yes, comparing the Gain to other ebikes is apples to oranges. I love my Stromer because it's like having a 3rd car in the garage, and that's typically how I use it. I tried riding the Stromer on low assist levels for a workout. Didn't enjoy it. I'm fortunate I can have a few arrows in the quiver: a road bike, a Gain, and the Stromer. Of course there is overlap in functionality, but for the most part each has a distinct role. Hate to say it on this forum, but if I had to get rid of one, it would probably be the Gain, because it occupies the middle of the spectrum and so has the most overlap with the other two.

Read Zeek48's posting above. He has both bikes and prefers the Gain over the Giant.
Thx Mike, I love my Gain M20i. It gives me what I was looking for... an assist when I needed it. As the previous poster stated, the Giant has many advantages but is so much heavier. I ride my Gain in Arizona during the winter and couldn't believe the easy transition I've had from my Specialized Roubaix. I am now back in Canada for the summer and I think I may have mentioned that Orbea is not shipping the Gain to Canada this season. I was able to purchase a Bianchi Aria E. Transition has not been as smooth as the Gain is an Endurance geometry while the Aria is an Aero. Having to do a few more adjustments but starting to get it dialed in. Con of the Aria... no di2. Interesting too, the Bianchi draws a lot more attention and comments. Probably because it is in Bianchi's Celeste green while the Gain is flat black which I prefer. I will say again the best value and performance in a road e bike here in North America is the Gain. My LBS knocked $1000 of the Aria and it was still almost $1000 more than the Gain and no di2.

Another interesting tidbit. I gave the Giant to my son to sell/trade in on a commuter ebike. He traded it in at the Giant dealer and received only $300 less than I paid for the bike a year ago. So it seems ebike may be holding their value.

Hi folks. Since you all are Orbea owners I was thinking you could give me some advice. I live in Venice, Florida so it is flat as a board - no hills whatsoever. I currently use an eGlide Single Speed which has been great in that there is very little that can go wrong with it - it has given me no problems at all in over 2k miles, but I want a lighter bike (the eGlide is about 39 pounds so it's not too heavy) with better handling. I never go off road and normally just go on pavement or paved trails, but once in a blue moon I may ride on a bit of gravel for a few hundred yards. I'm thinking that the Orbea Gain may be a good choice (I'm not looking for a fast bike and I want the exercise so I'm not concerned about putting some work into it). My rides tend to be about 10-20 miles (once in a while 35 or so). I can't decide between the F30 or the D40 - does one of these make more sense than the other? Also I'm going to have to buy this by mail order, there aren't any LBS selling Orbea Gain anywhere near me, so hopefully these haven't been mechanically problematic for you all? Thanks in advance for any advice you may have - including if you think that a Gain is not a good choice and I should be looking elsewhere.

Hi folks. Since you all are Orbea owners I was thinking you could give me some advice. I live in Venice, Florida so it is flat as a board - no hills whatsoever. I currently use an eGlide Single Speed which has been great in that there is very little that can go wrong with it - it has given me no problems at all in over 2k miles, but I want a lighter bike (the eGlide is about 39 pounds so it's not too heavy) with better handling. I never go off road and normally just go on pavement or paved trails, but once in a blue moon I may ride on a bit of gravel for a few hundred yards. I'm thinking that the Orbea Gain may be a good choice (I'm not looking for a fast bike and I want the exercise so I'm not concerned about putting some work into it). My rides tend to be about 10-20 miles (once in a while 35 or so). I can't decide between the F30 or the D40 - does one of these make more sense than the other? Also I'm going to have to buy this by mail order, there aren't any LBS selling Orbea Gain anywhere near me, so hopefully these haven't been mechanically problematic for you all? Thanks in advance for any advice you may have - including if you think that a Gain is not a good choice and I should be looking elsewhere.

Firstly, do you wan't a flat-bar (F30) or a drop-bar (D40) bike? I would think that the D40 (Tiagra) would be fractionally lighter than the F30 (Claris). Secondly, how much lighter would it be than your eGlide? My Tiagra Gain (small size frame) weighs in at around 35.5 pounds fully equipped - with SPD pedals, mudguards, saddle pack with tubes and tools etc - and that's after I've saved weight by changing to lighter tyres, saddle, seatpost. Subtracting the weight of the guards and saddlepack it's almost 3 pounds lighter - 32.6 lbs. So you'd be saving in the region of 6.5 lbs on your eGlide. You would only save more weight by buying one of the top end builds - Ultegra, Carbon wheels etc. So you have to ask yourself whether it's worth it. There are other brands making bikes with the ebikemotion X35 setup - Wilier, Bianchi and Ribble, for example, and if possible it would be a good idea to try one before you buy. Ribble (UK) also sell a flat bar bike, but I don't know if they sell into the US, or what the cut off speed would be (in the UK/EU we have a legal assistance limit of 15.5 mph) and no throttle on these bikes.

I thought Orbeas are only available in bike shops.

Thanks guys. MikeDee, there are multiple places that will ship them on-line. Of course if something goes wrong I'll be hosed since there aren't any dealers anywhere near here. I actually rode one at a dealer when I was visiting someone in Atlanta, but they didn't really have the ability to ship it. Younggoldbloke, you're probably right. Since I'm in the US I don't think that he other brands are an option - it seems like most ebikes sold here tend to lean towards heavy, higher powered models which don't interest me. To be honest the model I test rode was a higher end model, I just liked the "feel" much better then the eGlide, but of course since it cost 3x as much it's hardly a fair comparison. Since there's a budget involved I was thinking that the cheaper models would maintain some of that feel and the fact that there's gearing as opposed to my single speed would allow me to find a sweet spot in terms of cadence. The problem with the eGlide for me is that the first level of assist is too low but the second and third levels are too high. But what you say makes sense. If the F30-D40 are only going to be fractionally lighter I'm probably better off just not bothering. I would be buying with the hope of eventually buying the water bottle battery if needed for longer rides - and I can't really count on that since they've been talking about it since 2018 with no product available yet.

Merci Franconvillois - knowing that there's a good chance that it will eventually be available in the US makes this a much more viable choice. Even if I never buy an extra battery it's good knowing that it is available.

Merci Franconvillois - knowing that there's a good chance that it will eventually be available in the US makes this a much more viable choice. Even if I never buy an extra battery it's good knowing that it is available.

I do regular rolling hill rides on my Gain of 50 miles, using about 33% of available battery charge. Is an extra battery necessary?

[QUOTE = "Jaxx, post: 199253, member: 22644"] Je fais des virages réguliers sur un gain de 50 milles, en utilisant environ 33% de la charge disponible de la batterie. Une pile supplémentaire est-elle nécessaire? [/ QUOTE]
Why not , sometime i use 90% of the battery

[QUOTE = "Jaxx, post: 199253, member: 22644"] Je fais des virages réguliers sur un gain de 50 milles, en utilisant environ 33% de la charge disponible de la batterie. Une pile supplémentaire est-elle nécessaire? [/ QUOTE]
Why not , sometime i use 90% of the battery
Ebikemotion recently notified me they were delivering to Orbea in early June and Bianchi in July. It's up to both of them when they ship to US.

I want one even though I have ridden over 120 km and had power to spare. I have also done a 48 km ride, 24 km climbing and used 75%. I want to be able to do centuries so will need the extra battery

You guys have been really helpful, thanks. No, it's not necessary, and I don't plan on getting one at first, but I have heart problems that won't get better, so I may need more assist in the future and it means I could use the bike longer...instead of sitting on the couch and getting fat. :)

You guys have been really helpful, thanks. No, it's not necessary, and I don't plan on getting one at first, but I have heart problems that won't get better, so I may need more assist in the future and it means I could use the bike longer...instead of sitting on the couch and getting fat. :)

Go for it Solom

I found a couple shops online in the U.K. to order from claiming end of June shipping. I’ll be over there then so I may just pick it up in person.

[QUOTE = "azlawyer, post: 199520, member: 24707"] J'ai trouvé quelques magasins en ligne au Royaume-Uni pour commander après avoir réclamé une livraison fin juin. Je serai là-bas alors je pourrais le prendre en personne. [/ QUOTE]
May i have the link , please

Back