Opinions on the best compromise?..(lightweight small manageable folding ebike)

What about this ? Maybe a little heavy though , but it's cheap and pretty well priced. It's 500 watts though , you maybe able to slip by with it. It's only $1200 US
I don't know how aggressive your police are there. You could slap a 250watt sticker on it. If anything you at least have an off-road fun toy.🤣

folding bike.jpg

GoCycle has a demo unit for sale at $2900 US. Brand new unopened unit with factory paint blemish , 1 yr warranty included.

My Huffy ebike folder, same as harrys's, was $310. My first folder, and I love it. Wouldn't want smaller than 20 inch wheels, and I wouldn't really want to go faster than 20mph. I love the small folders so much that I wouldn't blink spending 3 to 4 k on one, but thankfully I have been inoculated by the $300 Huffy.

I do not know if they sell a similar e bike in England, but I have a lightweight and cheap discovery x5. Good for short distances or urban riding. Folds easily. Has a twist throttle. Three Pas assist levels, no gears. I bought an extra battery on sale, new, for less than $200. Might fit your specs.

Reactions: woz
@harryS What did you need to do the the bought bike to make it useable/better
That was the Huffy Oslo. which did not have a throttle and a single PAS level, with very little control. The PAS required a few seconds of pedaling before it kicked in, and then slowly ramped up to about 16 mph.
I found it had an unused throttle input which worked, but i chose to drop in a 20A controller with a display capable of 5 PAS levels. That cost me about $75 USD. If I were to move to the UK, I would have have to remove the throttle. and limit the top speed to 16 mph? That could be done within the tuning options in the LCD.
When I first started converting ebikes, it was my goal to have lots of power, but after I converted a little 36V bafang SWXH 250W motor on a light 700cc bike, I found I agreed with the Euro pedelec model, although 15.5mph is a little slow, I can talk big like that because I've got some 750W bikes with tarps over them.

What about this ? Maybe a little heavy though , but it's cheap and pretty well priced. It's 500 watts though , you maybe able to slip by with it. It's only $1200 US
I don't know how aggressive your police are there. You could slap a 250watt sticker on it. If anything you at least have an off-road fun toy.🤣

View attachment 140251
noooooooooo!
I was going to say that I wouldn't be seen dead on that but it would be more accurate to say that I probably would...(subtle sorry)

I do not know if they sell a similar e bike in England, but I have a lightweight and cheap discovery x5. Good for short distances or urban riding. Folds easily. Has a twist throttle. Three Pas assist levels, no gears. I bought an extra battery on sale, new, for less than $200. Might fit your specs.
Thanks,
Looks interesting and good reviews (if they are to be believed), but it isn't UK compliant. I'll fire off an email and see what they have to say.

You could build with a TSDZ2 reliable easy access to parts and be completely compliant. $350 motor kit. See @PedalUma

Reactions: woz
You could build with a TSDZ2 reliable easy access to parts and be completely compliant. $350 motor kit. See @PedalUma
They were available in the USA last week for $290 shipped for China's 11-11 day sales. Might be a black friday sale next week that extends to Europe..

EMGX did one on a folder. The 36V version is 250@, but one could buy the 48V model and reprogram it to run on 36V, which allows a smaller battery. That reprogramming is a bitch though.

EMGX did one on a folder. The 36V version is 250@, but one could buy the 48V model and reprogram it to run on 36V, which allows a smaller battery. That reprogramming is a bitch though.

He’s under EU rules and the 36V 250W is compliant and could be programmed to be a bit faster than compliant speeds. For me 15MPH with what I thought was squirrelly steering dynamics was fast enough.

Thanks,
Looks interesting and good reviews (if they are to be believed), but it isn't UK compliant. I'll fire off an email and see what they have to say.
The discovery dx5 It has a smaller motor (250 or 350), 36v, top speed around 15 ? Twist throttle. Light weight, step thru.The dx7 has bigger 500 motor, bigger 20 inch wheels, heavier. The discovery dx5 is fine for short distances or to and from mass transit. Comfortable to me. No issue with hills near me I have a larger faster non folder for longer rides.

What's wrong with the Lectric Lite at $800 US?
Single speed. Tires are 2.4" or 2.6". Means the rims are probably too wide for 1.95" tires. Relatively heavy at 46 pounds. Good price though.
A 7 speed freewheel is surprisingly heavy. Add a derailleur, cable, and shifter. The Lite would be over 50 pounds.

Update, I have bought a s/h non-electric Brompton (technically second hand but it was unused), and in most* respects (*caveats later) I'm glad I did because it's taught me a worthwhile lesson. In my opinion my riding competence isn't yet good enough to handle a smaller wheeled electric bike; as it stands I'm sure I'd be dangerous. The initial only (I hope) lack of confidence/competence is a good thing for self preservation. Even after a few rides I'm definitely improving, but muscles and stamina have a long way to go so it was the right decision - for me at this time - a long time no rider. It folds and stores beautifully.
My plan is (or was) to eventually electrify but this comes with some comments.
Electrifying a Brompton to what would be an acceptable standard where it retains the fold and luggage convenience isn't that easy and is thus expensive.
The current 2022 Swytch kit is an attractive proposition at first glance, but not well thought out for Bromptons because the standard kit has to either have the battery holder facing the rider (it won't fold if it's on the outside of the handlebars, their advertising is/was misleading) OR (by paying extra£) it can use the luggage holder, but that prevents using a luggage bag on the front. Both of those are less than ideal.
The Nano and Onemotor (as alternative examples, there are others) are better in that respect BUT for what you pay for those conversions plus a decent second hand Brompton you may as well have bought a proper electric Brompton in the first place (that is if you could afford it). The Onemotor is (allegedly) very easy to move to different bikes if you have more than one bike it's a good option. (but that's not relevant in my case.)

So that brings me to a question, if it cost much more to electrify your current bike (EU 250W compliant) with a conversion kit than what you'd pay for a reasonable electric folder (again EU 250W compliant) what would you do?
You can buy a half decent 20" wheeled electric folder for a lot less than the well over £1000+ ($1200+) it would cost to convert.

*The biggest issue that I never anticipated on the Brompton is the placement of the brake levers to have them where I would be most comfortable but placement is more limited than I would like because the fold restricts how far they can be moved upwards. I didn't know that (or didn't give it enough thought) when I bought it, but that's perhaps a discussion for another time and place and anyway I'm stuck with it and hopefully It will become less of an issue as time progresses. It's maybe not an issue for most but more for those who may have restricted finger movement.
Secondly it doesn't handle as stably as bigger wheeled bike, but that's academic because I had no suitable space to store a large wheel electric bike.

EBikes.ca has very well thought out brimstone kits. The owner takes his to EU by air.

No decent folding bike is "lightweight".

For me, at least, I'd recommend a Bike Friday. They have electric conversions available on most of their models.

Added: review video of Bike Friday All-Packa:

Again, the above is available as a front-hub electric conversion as well straight from Bike Friday. And yes, they are expensive, but they are made in the USA and most of us supposedly approve of that. I guarantee you won't get a cheap chinese clone bike that looks just like every other bike from them.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention Bike Friday. I ordered one in mid-January. I got an email three days ago, saying it was ready. The problem is, I'm away at work, and won't be home for two more weeks.

I ordered a New World Tourist Silk, which has 20" wheels. Silk is the NWT variant with a Gates belt drive. I coupled that with a Rohloff 14-speed IGH. I know that BF has a motor kit, but I think that with the Rohloff, I won't need motor assist.

My ICE recumbent trike with Shimano motor has a Rohloff, and I've never used the four lowest gears.

One of the main attractions of a BF is the ability to easily pack it into a standard suicase, for travel. My Gocycle would be oversize, and I couldn't fly with the battery. BTW, if you want to electrify a BF, they have the option of using batteries from GRIN, which are under 100 Wh each. This means that you could fly with 4-6 of the smaller batteries. The small batteries connect to make a larger battery.

Very few folding bikes will fit into a non-oversize suitcase, without major disassembly. A Brompton folds smaller, but I didn't want 16" wheels, or the limited gearing.

Yes, my custom build was expensive. If you get a more standard build with a chain and cassette, the price is much less.

If you're wondering what the difference is between the All-Packa and the NWT, the All-Packa frame is slightly longer and lower to the ground. It also takes wider tires. I was told that the widest tire the NWT accepts is 2.0".

Back