Open Letter to Specialized

That's not really true. The margin is split with direct online orders, the retailer gets some, just nowhere near what they would if they stocked the bike. Also there's various "hoops" one has to jump through to show up on various locators in addition to overall sales volume too. It's not that straight forward unfortunately!

Totally true buying a bike that's already on a showroom floor but for some that might not be an alternative depending on where a shop is and what that shop's focus is. Even us as an e-bike specific dealership have a limited offering of what's "on the floor" and that's coming from moving about 450-500 units annually. Not a ton compared to our competitors in, say, Socal, but something we can be proud of!

Back to the main topic, have you gotten some miles on your bike yet??!?!
Thanks for a more detailed explanation . I'd also read an article that Companies that use LBS exclusively . Are concerned with quality companies like YT selling consumer direct. Again thanks for the explanation

@Stefan Mikes I am curious: Why a Vado and Vado SL?

As someone who is not yet a bike person, the two seem a bit similar. I get that the SL is lighter weight and really focused on hopping on and going for a ride without hauling anything. Why are both worth it?

I also think you do not like the creo? I can’t find the comment anymore, but I would love to know why.

Thanks!

@Stefan Mikes I am curious: Why a Vado and Vado SL?

As someone who is not yet a bike person, the two seem a bit similar. I get that the SL is lighter weight and really focused on hopping on and going for a ride without hauling anything. Why are both worth it?

I also think you do not like the creo? I can’t find the comment anymore, but I would love to know why.

Thanks!
These two e-bikes are very different. The full power Vado is a strong and fast machine, which is ideal for fast commutes or for long trips including significant climbs. The removable battery is a bonus if someone can store the bike in their garage.

Full power Vado is a heavy thing. It makes it hard to carry upstairs. In rough terrain, Vado becomes a bone-shaker and cannot be ridden really fast there, especially with heavy panniers. Because of the heavy weight, it cannot be carried over obstacles such as a fallen tree.

And the full power Vado is really powerful. It loves being ridden with significant assistance fast. Think of an airliner. While the aircraft can actually ride slowly in the airport, it is sluggish before airborne! Same with Vado. Low assistance means a slow ride and a sluggish response. Add some electrons and the thing is like flying! However, higher assistance means a little of workout with the big Vado.

Vado SL is very "bicycley". I can carry it upstairs and downstairs easily and keep it inside my apartment. In rough terrain, a properly equipped Vado SL almost feels like a flat handlebar gravel e-bike, and there is no issue with carrying it over obstacles (or, upstairs in the city). However, the low power combined with my ailing legs imposes some limitations. For instance, the effect of headwind is far more pronounced for Vado SL. Climbing significant hills could be an issue. My average speed on Vado SL is low. However, the SL gives me a lot of workout, and its low weight made it my everyday e-bike, which I also use for gravel cycling group rides.

(The comment of a healthy friend of mine is Vado SL gives him excellent speed and helps him counter headwind and hills very much. My opinion is Vado SL is a perfect e-bike for healthy people with normal pedalling performance).

Creo? I simply cannot stand the road bike riding position for long. And Creo does not meet my criteria such as being able to help me with my grocery shopping. Otherwise, it is an excellent e-bike!

Last edited:
Dynamic, sounds like you bought the right bike for you despite everything, mostly because this model felt comfortable. That beats all if you intend on riding it 10 miles+ everyday. I'd hold off on items like lipless pedals until you've got used to it. Panniers are a good call, I do a lot of shopping now with my vado SL saving the crazy priced diesel costs with the car. Also depending where you live & if you can cycle through winter, comfortable, warm or waterproof clothes should be your next investigation. Even if it's heavily raining I now enjoy getting kitted out and heading off into the wilds! Can't beat quality rain gear. Enjoy your rides!

These two e-bikes are very different.
Thanks for the detailed response! I know I am going to want a second bike around to prevent downtimes and/or be more fitness focused (once a vado is “easy” on these hills)

I'd hold off on items like lipless pedals until you've got used to it.
I won’t put them on right away, but it was literally the last purchase for my current before everything went back. I bought dual sided pedals so I am not stuck with clipless.
Also depending where you live & if you can cycle through winter, comfortable, warm or waterproof clothes should be your next investigation.
Ha! I ordered water/wind proof gloves already. Cold here could start any day. I am looking at rain/snow gear. If I don’t bicycle in the winter, this bike will sit unused for 7 months of the year. Not worth owning for that. I just hope I don’t need the studded tires for a while.
this model felt comfortable.
It did. But numbness in my hands tends to show up on longer rides. I am hoping the vado helps with that too. But that will be the first “comfort” thing to deal with. Padded gloves didn’t help much on the current.

First ride home is done. Had to rush to beat the rain and the battery was only 33% charged so I wasn’t going on a joy ride. Held 75 rpm which felt faster and easier than the current. No idea what gear it was in as I haven’t found that display. Bike was happy with it (rpm thing was green). Bought a two wheel gear pannier to be my “daily” pannier. Don’t love it yet. The amount of space lost to be “convertible” probably isn’t worth it to me.

Still don’t love the saddle. Will change that soon. And the auto shifting was a bit aggressive at times shifting down if I let up at all. That’s my negatives list. Everything else was excellent.

The red looks *way better* in person. The bike has been named Goku by my son.

The adventure begins. Again.

Back