Open Letter to Specialized

Another member on this site indicated he was locked out of the specialized system because of multiple complaints about various issues. Maybe specialized determines who might be more trouble than they are worth?
Could be. But if that's the case, wow.

Looks like Specialized just doesn't want your business. And they don't deserve it.
It really does. But, at least *this* time it is looking like my credit union doesn't support this protocol.

I just got on the phone with specialized to work through it. So, I am calling my bank again.

Why can't you take that card and walk into the LBS and buy that bike they have in the basement that you couldn't buy with the online credit.

Why can't you take that card and walk into the LBS and buy that bike they have in the basement that you couldn't buy with the online credit.
Several reasons: Once they open the bike they have to keep it in their inventory. And they have been clear from the start that they don’t want to carry this bike. So, it’s a final sale with no test ride. Second issue: specialized demanded that they send it back on friday. It’s gone now.

Specialized direct to consumer terms are much better. Since I have no way to try any IGH let alone a 5.0 IGH (my store does not stock anything in 5.0) I deemed it too much of a risk.

The store was upfront about this since I started looking at the bike 2 months ago. They have some 4.0 and 3.0 chain models to rent or buy. But do not carry igh models typically.

as you note, using credit cards online occasionally has issues with fraud protection etc. call your credit card issuer, tell them you want to make an online purchase for $$$$ at specialized.com, try again.
I did. They aren't even getting the transaction let alone declining it.

Specialized told me they have had a few cases of this, and they can't do anything about it as their system is only designed to take this kind of anti-fraud validation. Most credit cards work, but not all. Most e-commerce systems are designed to fallback on the older standard if the card doesn't support 3DS. Specialized system is not designed that way.

This is the first time I have ever had an issue like this with this card. Seriously unfortunate timing. But it is what it is.

That was a long and twisted ordeal!
*snickers*

I will believe it's over after I have been riding the bike for a few months.

I am still nervous that the way I ride is killing e-bike motors. This bike has a *ton* of readout information including cadence indicators for motor performance (and the ability to tune that). At least I should have data.

If all goes well, a como 5.0 IGH will be ordered for my wife (assuming she likes my vado enough to justify that).

*snickers*

I will believe it's over after I have been riding the bike for a few months.

I am still nervous that the way I ride is killing e-bike motors. This bike has a *ton* of readout information including cadence indicators for motor performance (and the ability to tune that). At least I should have data.

If all goes well, a como 5.0 IGH will be ordered for my wife (assuming she likes my vado enough to justify that).
hard to imagine anything you could do on a vado to destroy the motor - the same ones are used in mountain bikes that people ride the absolute crap out of.

the IGH …. on the other hand, remains to be seen IMO. nuvinci/enviolo has been around a long time and they use them in bikes that get abused a lot (most city bikeshare bikes) but i’ve not heard much from people who really ride hard. definitely keep us posted once you get it!

hard to imagine anything you could do on a vado to destroy the motor - the same ones are used in mountain bikes that people ride the absolute crap out of.

the IGH …. on the other hand, remains to be seen IMO. nuvinci/enviolo has been around a long time and they use them in bikes that get abused a lot (most city bikeshare bikes) but i’ve not heard much from people who really ride hard. definitely keep us posted once you get it!
That is why I started narrowing down by motor reputation and support. The reason I bought the vado (despite all the trouble) is I ruled out bafang due to lack of local support (ruled out evelo). Down to 2 bikes: gazelle c380+ HMB (bosch) or vado 5.0 IGH (brose). I can't try the actual model of either before buying and there are a few things about the vado that I thought fit me better and or seemed like a bit of an upgrade over gazelle. Plus, the vado 4.0 I did ride was about as comfortable a bike as I have experienced. And, despite being lower on torque, there was something about the way the 4.0 responded that simply put a smile on my face. The serial 1 rush city also did that (but wasn't quite as comfortable).

I do wish the vado had the option of a second battery. But, it's "smartness" may train me to ride more efficiently both for my own energy and battery life negating that desire. We shall see.

I am less concerned about enviolo heavy duty. I also think the automatiq system is going to act as a natural defense for both the motor and the gear hub. It basically isn't going to let me mash the gears. Period. I either ride at a lower cadence in a lower gear or a higher cadence in a higher gear. I suspect that, in itself, is going to defend the bike from an abusive rider.

That is why I started narrowing down by motor reputation and support. The reason I bought the vado (despite all the trouble) is I ruled out bafang due to lack of local support (ruled out evelo). Down to 2 bikes: gazelle c380+ HMB (bosch) or vado 5.0 IGH (brose). I can't try the actual model of either before buying and there are a few things about the vado that I thought fit me better and or seemed like a bit of an upgrade over gazelle. Plus, the vado 4.0 I did ride was about as comfortable a bike as I have experienced. And, despite being lower on torque, there was something about the way the 4.0 responded that simply put a smile on my face. The serial 1 rush city also did that (but wasn't quite as comfortable).

I do wish the vado had the option of a second battery. But, it's "smartness" may train me to ride more efficiently both for my own energy and battery life negating that desire. We shall see.

I am less concerned about enviolo heavy duty. I also think the automatiq system is going to act as a natural defense for both the motor and the gear hub. It basically isn't going to let me mash the gears. Period. I either ride at a lower cadence in a lower gear or a higher cadence in a higher gear. I suspect that, in itself, is going to defend the bike from an abusive rider.

If you identify as an abusive rider, why on earth did you choose the motor with such a poor reputation AND get the lbs off side during the purchase phase?

If you identify as an abusive rider, why on earth did you choose the motor with such a poor reputation AND get the lbs off side during the purchase phase?
I don’t. The currents were my first ebikes and I haven’t ridden any bike in 10 years. I may have killed two currents in 15 days. My assumption is it something about being big and liking to ride hard.

Are you saying the brose in the specialized is a poor motor?

You mean the latest generation of the Specialized/Brose motors PDOz? Or are just making jokes?
Because I heard no complaint on the new generation Specialized motors yet.

I went to a Specialized store and asked about a test ride. They put me on a 2021 Vado SL s size. I rode around for half an hour and came back and ordered a 2022 Vado SL 4.0 in XL, paid a 10% deposit. Picked it up a month later and paid rest on CC and paid off following month. No drama, no hassles. I don’t want to spend my days writing long letters to corporate HQs, life’s too short.

I went to a Specialized store and asked about a test ride. They put me on a 2021 Vado SL s size. I rode around for half an hour and came back and ordered a 2022 Vado SL 4.0 in XL, paid a 10% deposit. Picked it up a month later and paid rest on CC and paid off following month. No drama, no hassles. I don’t want to spend my days writing long letters to corporate HQs, life’s too short.
Would love to. Store couldn’t get one until december (and that was a “maybe”)

Other stores wouldn’t build one for me to try without a down payment (if they had one at all)

As of this moment, all vado my size are sold out online as well.

I guess I could wait until next season? I live where it snows.

As a matter of fact the most successful bike and e-bike purchases are done in the middle of the cold season. Seriously.
How are you defining successful? I have seen all the e-bikes at my LBS go on sale.

I mean, I would love to pay less. But, at this time, I have no bikes. And I have amazing biking weather. :(

How are you defining successful? I have seen all the e-bikes at my LBS go on sale.

I mean, I would love to pay less. But, at this time, I have no bikes. And I have amazing biking weather. :(
The new MY e-bikes typically become available in the early months of the year. Most of people don't think they would buy the bike in the winter. And they are aware the new bike would be stuck in the garage by the Spring. So they start looking for a new bike in April/May to find out there are no bikes available.

Covid has upset the market very much, true. However, the rule holds. Wait to April/May and you end up with bare hands again.

The new MY e-bikes typically become available in the early months of the year. Most of people don't think they would buy the bike in the winter. And they are aware the new bike would be stuck in the garage by the Spring. So they start looking for a new bike in April/May to find out there are no bikes available.

Covid has upset the market very much, true. However, the rule holds. Wait to April/May and you end up with bare hands again.

To hijack my own thread, do you have any thoughts or opinions on step through vs step over with the vado? Not sure I have seen you comment on that.

Back