Old batteries, what to do?

opimax

Region
USA
City
Atlanta
I have 4 older purples. I have tried 2 in the past couple days. Fresh off of being charged they don't cut it it any more. The first sign is going up a hill at 80% plus on Power, complete cut out . Comes back on still at 80%+ drive a little more and no/little support in Tour and the bike motoring system just acting funny. When I replace w/newer battery all well. I have 2 more to test but they are all at least 3-4 yr old and well used. It is time to get them rebuilt. Somebody w/skills I don't have should be able to to do this and even better would be a kit I could this with but I doubt it is available. Does anybody have any thought on rebuilds ?

Sounds like something to research on EndlessSphere. I suppose the emphasis there is on DIY builds, but could not hurt to search, some of us start with a purpose built ride and then dream of DIY super bikes ;)... or modding existing platforms. -S

A while ago I was thinking about what to do when my Dash battery probably gives up in a few years and I tried googling about rebuilding but nothing came up with modest effort. Some guesses and calculations showed that the same type of cells for the same watt hours as the Dash battery might cost about $300. I didn't get to any details about whether you need to balance the cells or how to do that, and if the cells are spot welded together, replacing is not a trivial job even if it's easy to open the battery case.

I was thinking if it involved wielding I am out, a screw driver, fine. If i could find the exact same cells or something that works with the current BMS is the way to go. On the Stromer forum in German , the translation speaks of someone trying this but that was over in Europe and hard to understand. Member Bluecat is part of that board, hoping he sees this. I have taken out he 2 end plugs on 1 of the batteries, to go further I need to unscrew an end piece and watch the wires to prevent an arc. Smalll steps for my tiny feet. This will be a slow moving thread :). I don't think i would put the repaired batteries in my bike til the warranty is out anyway, had the bike a little over a year

I would take the battery apart and look at the cells inside. There is likely numbers on the cells that describe the characteristic of the individual cell. If you can identify the cell then googling for a replacement cell would be your next step. Then lots of desolder old cells and re-soldering in new cells. If it is the circuity that talks to the battery cells.... well that would be out of league.

My approach would remain as it always does: take out credit card, purchase new replacement, properly discard old or give it away or sell it for cheap parts, depending on what is most feasible.

From Electric Bike Report:
"NTS Works Rebuildable Batteries:
NTS Works has developed a rebuildable lithium Universal Battery. With their technology they are able to install install new cells (Samsung cells) while reusing the original battery case.
They claim that the battery rebuild is half the cost of buying a whole new battery.
This can also mean an increase in range as most cells increase in capacity as the cell technology improves.
In addition, the case is built tough to withstand impacts and it is waterproof."
http://electricbikereport.com/replacement-electric-bike-batteries/

NTS:
http://ntsworks.com/battery/universal-battery/
NTS store (includes ebikes):
http://ntsworks.com/shop/

I have NO personal experience with NTS, it's just information I found and saved for when the time comes for replacement I would look into...

I'm game! I'll get the monster soldering iron out, make a video for yall - in a few years if I still have the Dash. Or maybe just Frankenstein some hobbyking batteries in a frame bag. In reality it will probably be sold a year from now, down payment on her replacement. We have lots of recycling centers here. -S

Unless you really really love DIY, it is not worth taking these apart AND putting them back together + soldering.
They should still have ~65% charge left in them and many recycling centers use large quantities of these to support the grid at peak hours.

If you're interested I'll check with the Stromer rep and see if we can get you a new one in exchange of few old ones.

Last edited:
As batteries wear out I need replacements. Hoping to get any value I can and also recycling any product is good. I am some what handy though nothing special. If I can add value to this (save money) and skilled enough I am happy to replace the cells.

I don't know if there us enough demand for rebuilding Stromer batteries, hoping there is.

How do to figure or how much juice is really left, they say 100% but can't support Tour mode under 90 % if at all

Also I note on most of my batterries the seal tape is worn off or split, as If I have opened them up which is not the case at all., they get rubbed a lot in taking in and out of my panniers. I have 1 battery at the shop that won't charge, I am concerned I will have a hard time over this at the warranty center.

As batteries wear out I need replacements. Hoping to get any value I can and also recycling any product is good. I am some what handy though nothing special. If I can add value to this (save money) and skilled enough I am happy to replace the cells.

I don't know if there us enough demand for rebuilding Stromer batteries, hoping there is.

How do to figure or how much juice is really left, they say 100% but can't support Tour mode under 90 % if at all

Also I note on most of my batterries the seal tape is worn off or split, as If I have opened them up which is not the case at all., they get rubbed a lot in taking in and out of my panniers. I have 1 battery at the shop that won't charge, I am concerned I will have a hard time over this at the warranty center.

We can ship you a new one in exchange of few old ones you have. Our tech guy Mark is waiting to hear from Lenny about this situation.
We try our best to support the E-bike community here.

Details please ! I would like golds and pay using these as trade ins and cash as needed but I am flexible. I was wondering if the BMS is the same in each battery just used different cells and different paint?
Is the a start of reconditioned batteries for sale? Hoping you all are headed that way

any updates on rebuilds , trade ins anything to get value out the old batteries???

I have 4 older purples. I have tried 2 in the past couple days. Fresh off of being charged they don't cut it it any more. The first sign is going up a hill at 80% plus on Power, complete cut out . Comes back on still at 80%+ drive a little more and no/little support in Tour and the bike motoring system just acting funny. When I replace w/newer battery all well. I have 2 more to test but they are all at least 3-4 yr old and well used. It is time to get them rebuilt. Somebody w/skills I don't have should be able to to do this and even better would be a kit I could this with but I doubt it is available. Does anybody have any thought on rebuilds ?

If you could find someone handy, they could probably salvage one good pack's worth of cells from your 4 batteries. Unless that person is local, the shipping alone will make it not worth your time.

Experience has taught me with Stromer that if you need help, go to the source.. In this case the American Stromer Distributor..

Here's the last number I used:
800 819 4262
858 863 8170
San Diego

any updates on rebuilds , trade ins anything to get value out the old batteries???

Our battery guy, Mark is on vacation for couple of months and we apologize for not getting back to you earlier.
However, we have contacted Stromer and they don't rebuild or recycle batteries. Seems like you have several batteries and two Stromers!
You can turn in your old bike + few old batteries and we can work up a Stromer ST2 deal for you!
It's a win-win for Stromer and Stromer's long time customer.

Thx Joe, but the batteries are just worn out, 4 year old w/plenty of mileage

Lenny ,
My St1 are still under warranty , not going to happen for awhile. These purples are from having 2 sports for 3 years first. I now have 2 st1(s) for a year w/2 additional golds, 1 purchased 1, given by Stromer for using my bike for a large demo. I would like to get 2 more golds so each bike can have 3 batteries for the extended rides I and occasionally "we" do. Either no range anxiety at all or travel on "power" the whole way

I dont think i want to solder/weld in replacement cells but would be willing to to do screw in connectors if that is what they have. I wouldnt expect Strmer to autorize or rebuiild but I see a market for someone that wants it. Aslo I believe there is some usefulness to this old pack and hate to see it wasted , maybe some will unfortunately end up in a land fill

Last edited:
Thx Joe, but the batteries are just worn out, 4 year old w/plenty of mileage

Lenny ,
My St1 are still under warranty , not going to happen for awhile. These purples are from having 2 sports for 3 years first. I now have 2 st1(s) for a year w/2 additional golds, 1 purchased 1, given by Stromer for using my bike for a large demo. I would like to get 2 more golds so each bike can have 3 batteries for the extended rides I and occasionally "we" do. Either no range anxiety at all or travel on "power" the whole way

I dont think i want to solder/weld in replacement cells but would be willing to to do screw in connectors if that is what they have. I wouldnt expect Strmer to autorize or rebuiild but I see a market for someone that wants it. Aslo I believe there is some usefulness to this old pack and hate to see it wasted , maybe some will unfortunately end up in a land fill

We don't mind supporting an ebiker like you but shipping batteries gets complicated because of Hazmat documentation and packaging.
See if you can stop by our store sometime this summer.

Thx much for the support!!!

I hope to , my uncle is now 96 , need to get there soon and often. :) and ride some of these trails...whats up with fee to ride on the trails in Wisc? $5 a day? and I am illegal anyway? :)

Thx much for the support!!!

I hope to , my uncle is now 96 , need to get there soon and often. :) and ride some of these trails...whats up with fee to ride on the trails in Wisc? $5 a day? and I am illegal anyway? :)

There are plenty of trails around the lake and they don't charge a fee. If it's illegal, we wouldn't be selling bikes.

The illegal part is this trail that goes through Lake Mills cost $5 (no real issue, happy to support bike trails, all I do is trails) but since I am on an electric bike it is illegal if you get caught w/a motor I believe,thus my desire for stealthy bikes all the time. I look forward to seeing your shop !!!

Back