Offgrid charging

webcurl

Region
Australia
Hi has anyone had experience using a Modified Sinewave Inverter connected to the car/offgrid situation with any of the Bosch chargers (2A or 4A)?
I know Pure Sinewave inverters are fine but some electronics can be damaged over time with Modified Sinewave inverters.

Hi. I don't know if this helps to answer your query or not, but I carted a Yamaha EF1000iF petrol generator about 17,000km around Australia behind my R&M Delite in a Topeak Journey trailer (generator weight 12.7kg + 5kg for 5l of fuel that lasted about 600-800km). The relevance of this to your own query is that I had no issues simultaneously charging both my 500 Bosch batteries in around 4½h via a double adapter and two 4A chargers every day. True, Yamaha claim their power output to be "pure" sinewave, but this is somewhat subjective as they also state a 3% distortion rate.

Btw, even though you mentioned in another post you're totally averse to anyone suggesting a generator - and I do tend to agree with the sentiment, don't get me wrong - I concluded it is currently the most practical solution for long distance touring by ebike in outback Australia. Another possibility though is an EFOY fuel cell ( https://www.efoy-comfort.com/technical-data ). They run completely silently, and can even theoretically be used to charge one of the batteries (as spare) whilst on the move, since there is no exhaust and don't generate any heat. Anyone here know anything about them? Apparently they're common in boats and caravans, manufactured in Switzerland.

Hi. I don't know if this helps to answer your query or not, but I carted a Yamaha EF1000iF petrol generator about 17,000km around Australia behind my R&M Delite in a Topeak Journey trailer (generator weight 12.7kg + 5kg for 5l of fuel that lasted about 600-800km). The relevance of this to your own query is that I had no issues simultaneously charging both my 500 Bosch batteries in around 4½h via a double adapter and two 4A chargers every day. True, Yamaha claim their power output to be "pure" sinewave, but this is somewhat subjective as they also state a 3% distortion rate.

Btw, even though you mentioned in another post you're totally averse to anyone suggesting a generator - and I do tend to agree with the sentiment, don't get me wrong - I concluded it is currently the most practical solution for long distance touring by ebike in outback Australia. Another possibility though is an EFOY fuel cell ( https://www.efoy-comfort.com/technical-data ). They run completely silently, and can even theoretically be used to charge one of the batteries (as spare) whilst on the move, since there is no exhaust and don't generate any heat. Anyone here know anything about them? Apparently they're common in boats and caravans, manufactured in Switzerland.
Thanks for the reply.
I want to stick to 2 wheels for agility and have no desire yet to go too far in the outback, my current solar setup (up to 114W) weighs 4.8kg (including Bosch 2A charger) and i think about 8l volume. On a good day of 12 hours sun (whilst stationary) it should get both my 500 batteries from 0 to approx 90%.
I am very interested in how what looks like your Thule Pack'n'pedal front rack went, Tour version i presume with side frames, what kind of weights you could put on it, etc.? I checked out your website briefly and noticed you have a Supercharger GX Rohloff with front rack, do you think it would fit under the existing front rack?
I must go through your website more thoroughly as you've got quite a bit more experience with touring on R&M's than i, especially noticed your rear rack breaking! :(
And well done!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
I want to stick to 2 wheels for agility and have no desire yet to go too far in the outback, my current solar setup (up to 114W) weighs 4.8kg (including Bosch 2A charger) and i think about 8l volume. On a good day of 12 hours sun (whilst stationary) it should get both my 500 batteries from 0 to approx 90%.
I am very interested in how what looks like your Thule Pack'n'pedal front rack went, Tour version i presume with side frames, what kind of weights you could put on it, etc.? I checked out your website briefly and noticed you have a Supercharger GX Rohloff with front rack, do you think it would fit under the existing front rack?
I must go through your website more thoroughly as you've got quite a bit more experience with touring on R&M's than i, especially noticed your rear rack breaking! :(
And well done!

Hi again and thanks for the feedback. It's the 12 hours stationary part that dissuades me from solar charging - otherwise an excellent solution.
My trailer broke at one stage and I lugged the generator around western Tasmania strapped onto the rear rack, which looked a bit ridiculous! Btw, I often charge to only 85-90% now, since it takes only 3 hours of charging time, as against a further 1h20m for the final 15%.

Yes, the Thule front rack was the touring version with the side frames (necessary for rigidity and load stability). Apart from having to eventually lock-tight all the end screws because they kept on vibrating loose, I had no problems with it (even though with my wide Suntour Aion forks on the Delite it was at the limit of width, I'd say, and looks a bit distorted (twisted) when securely mounted). I only needed to carry light loads in the two front panniers of 4-5kg in each, but could have easily gone to 6-7kg or more. The load does ride a bit high (though I mounted the Ortlieb panniers to the lower side bars of the frames); but steering and ride stability were perfectly fine. My Delite was stolen, along with the Thule rack, and I am now looking to buy a new Thule rack for my new Supercharger. I've already checked with my LBS that it does fit on the Supercharger under the existing R&M rack, no problem.

Regarding rear rack failure: on the Delite I had no problems whatsoever with 17-20kg load and on sometimes difficult terrain (maybe because of the rear suspension?), but the Supercharger rear rack is another matter altogether - I've already had two fail in under 2,500km of use (at the same location - rear strut weld where it attaches to the seat stay, both sides), and now a third one is going the same way too. In my opinion, there is a serious design flaw with the Supercharger rack as supplied, and it makes an otherwise excellent bike not suitable for serious touring. R&M are well aware of my feelings about this, but I have to say they've been fantastic in providing new racks!

Hi again and thanks for the feedback. It's the 12 hours stationary part that dissuades me from solar charging - otherwise an excellent solution.
My trailer broke at one stage and I lugged the generator around western Tasmania strapped onto the rear rack, which looked a bit ridiculous! Btw, I often charge to only 85-90% now, since it takes only 3 hours of charging time, as against a further 1h20m for the final 15%.

Yes, the Thule front rack was the touring version with the side frames (necessary for rigidity and load stability). Apart from having to eventually lock-tight all the end screws because they kept on vibrating loose, I had no problems with it (even though with my wide Suntour Aion forks on the Delite it was at the limit of width, I'd say, and looks a bit distorted (twisted) when securely mounted). I only needed to carry light loads in the two front panniers of 4-5kg in each, but could have easily gone to 6-7kg or more. The load does ride a bit high (though I mounted the Ortlieb panniers to the lower side bars of the frames); but steering and ride stability were perfectly fine. My Delite was stolen, along with the Thule rack, and I am now looking to buy a new Thule rack for my new Supercharger. I've already checked with my LBS that it does fit on the Supercharger under the existing R&M rack, no problem.

Regarding rear rack failure: on the Delite I had no problems whatsoever with 17-20kg load and on sometimes difficult terrain (maybe because of the rear suspension?), but the Supercharger rear rack is another matter altogether - I've already had two fail in under 2,500km of use (at the same location - rear strut weld where it attaches to the seat stay, both sides), and now a third one is going the same way too. In my opinion, there is a serious design flaw with the Supercharger rack as supplied, and it makes an otherwise excellent bike not suitable for serious touring. R&M are well aware of my feelings about this, but I have to say they've been fantastic in providing new racks!
Thankyou for your shared experience!
Extremely disappointing to hear about the Supercharger rack as i was hoping to get up to 20kg on it, on sometimes rough terrain :(
Wow, so many racks continually re-welded to the frame.
I've now just ordered the Thule pack'n'pedal tour with side frames.
I am trying to distribute weight more evenly across the bike though with the following:
To go on the R&M Front rack (3kg):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ROC...g-Front-Tube-Pocket-Shoulder/32822029002.html
- ok for some heavy electronics, etc, bit too sturdy for my use though.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Eco...e-Bicycle-Polyethylene-Water/32818321404.html
Frame:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ROC...erproof-Caulking-Bicycle-Bag/32851696825.html
- Bought the 5l version even though a 4l wine bladder does not fit, so 2kg water in a 2l wine bladder will be fine plus maybe spare tube or something, zip is short and rigid which is why a very flexible bladder is needed. Needs straps to be extended to fit around Supercharger frame though with some stitching of the following:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2me...-Accessories-Width-1-5cm-2cm/32851948539.html

So, hopefully 600ml (Fabric water bottle), 1l front rack bottle & 2l wine bladder in frame bag is 3.6kg of water attached to frame/front rack.
Hopefully i'll be able to put more on the Thule front rack.

Tubus makes great rear racks. They are extremely well made and I'm honestly surprised R&M doesn't just come with a Tubus rack.

Thankyou for your shared experience!
Extremely disappointing to hear about the Supercharger rack as i was hoping to get up to 20kg on it, on sometimes rough terrain :(
Wow, so many racks continually re-welded to the frame.
I've now just ordered the Thule pack'n'pedal tour with side frames.
I am trying to distribute weight more evenly across the bike though with the following:
To go on the R&M Front rack (3kg):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ROC...g-Front-Tube-Pocket-Shoulder/32822029002.html
- ok for some heavy electronics, etc, bit too sturdy for my use though.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Eco...e-Bicycle-Polyethylene-Water/32818321404.html
Frame:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ROC...erproof-Caulking-Bicycle-Bag/32851696825.html
- Bought the 5l version even though a 4l wine bladder does not fit, so 2kg water in a 2l wine bladder will be fine plus maybe spare tube or something, zip is short and rigid which is why a very flexible bladder is needed. Needs straps to be extended to fit around Supercharger frame though with some stitching of the following:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2me...-Accessories-Width-1-5cm-2cm/32851948539.html

So, hopefully 600ml (Fabric water bottle), 1l front rack bottle & 2l wine bladder in frame bag is 3.6kg of water attached to frame/front rack.
Hopefully i'll be able to put more on the Thule front rack.
Note that the rear rack on a Supercharger is bolted to the frame - it is the weld that attaches the mounting bracket to the bottom of the sidebars of the rack that keep cracking.
I am currently also considering a FAIV front rack, but they're expensive: https://faiv.de/luggage-rack-for-suspension-fork/

I just re-read this thread and have to ask you guys: what are you carrying?

For myself, I have taken several extensive bike tours and have rarely needed to carry more than 10kg, and often quite a bit less. Sometimes you have to carry extra water or a few days worth of food, but I can't even imagine my carry weight inching up to 20kg or even more.

R&M are well aware of my feelings about this, but I have to say they've been fantastic in providing new racks!

I am intrigued — you are able to discuss your issues with R&M? I just get a boilerplate ”go to dealer.” My dealer has done less than nothing in the face of issues (except to try to sell me another bike).

For myself, I have taken several extensive bike tours and have rarely needed to carry more than 10kg, and often quite a bit less. Sometimes you have to carry extra water or a few days worth of food, but I can't even imagine my carry weight inching up to 20kg or even more.

Speaking for myself only — I often tour for 2-3 months at a time, so yes, I can easily imagine my carry weight inching up to 20kg. I take tools and am not anywhere close to being retired, so some electronics come along. This is before the additional weight due to an ebike is factored in. I did 70 miles/day avg on my non-electric bikes, so my expectation is 100+ with an ebike. This means 3 batteries and a second charger for the + days. To give you an idea, my max day last summer was 157 miles, which was limited by charging time. Those are some long lunches!

One of the reasons I tried an ebike for touring last summer was to take along extra camera equipment. I landed up shipping it home. I don’t consider R&M optimal, fwiw. It’s about 45lb more than my penultimate (non-e) touring bike with dual batteries on the frame.

I agree with you only when considering non-bike cargo — even the 10kg estimate. But adding chargers, batteries and tools + plus the extra camera gear you think you deserve after buying an ebike adds up fast.

Speaking for myself only — I often tour for 2-3 months at a time, so yes, I can easily imagine my carry weight inching up to 20kg. I take tools and am not anywhere close to being retired, so some electronics come along. This is before the additional weight due to an ebike is factored in. I did 70 miles/day avg on my non-electric bikes, so my expectation is 100+ with an ebike. This means 3 batteries and a second charger for the + days. To give you an idea, my max day last summer was 157 miles, which was limited by charging time. Those are some long lunches!

One of the reasons I tried an ebike for touring last summer was to take along extra camera equipment. I landed up shipping it home. I don’t consider R&M optimal, fwiw. It’s about 45lb more than my penultimate (non-e) touring bike with dual batteries on the frame.

I agree with you only when considering non-bike cargo — even the 10kg estimate. But adding chargers, batteries and tools + plus the extra camera gear you think you deserve after buying an ebike adds up fast.

Sorry to confuse everyone about the weight I normally carry on long-distance touring. To clarify: on my Delite around Australia, I had up to 20kg on the back rack ( and had zero problems with the rack). This max weight was when I had to carry a 12.5 kg generator on it because my trailer broke and I had to swap around some stuff to lighten the trailer load. But the all-up weight is much higher for around Australia: the total rig, including me at 85kg and bike/batteries at 33 kg(?), weighed in at 168 kg (at the Heavy Vehicle Weighing Station at Port Augusta) - so that's about 50 kg of luggage spread out over front and rear racks, handlebars and trailer!
On my Supercharger, around Europe I travel much lighter - the rear rack broke, twice, with total load of 13kg on it (I weighed it!), and apart from that I had max 2kg on the handlebars, so 15 kg all up. Back in Australia on the Supercharger (actually, a different bike) add on 4 kg for extra tools, spares and water, making my load on the back rack 17 kg, plus another 4kg on the handlebars.

I am intrigued — you are able to discuss your issues with R&M? I just get a boilerplate ”go to dealer.” My dealer has done less than nothing in the face of issues (except to try to sell me another bike).

No, I have had no direct communication with R&M either. Everything was handled via my German bike shop, who were excellent. A lot of close coordination was required though, as the problems occurred in France, and R&M were the only ones who had a technical person who could speak enough French. The main problem wasn't even to do with the rack - it was to do with what turned out to be a faulty slip ring between the Rohloff gearbox and Gates belt drive that made a horrible noise.

I came from the distance-hiking world and found that most of it transferred nicely to bike touring.

My normal highly evolved backpacking outfit weighs right at 4.5kg. That is for everything but water and groceries. Others who are more hardcore and have a higher tolerance for pain and suffering and are willing to spend more money can do better.

Even considering that my bike bags weigh much more than my pack and adding proper bike tools, spare parts, battery charger, some extra clothes, and a MacBook pro I still am comfortably under 10kg. Extra batteries and chargers would add up pretty quickly, though.

I sometimes carry a DSLR, video camera, GoPro, &c. That can really add up quickly and you always end up with a tangled mess of chargers and cords. Plus if you are carrying a GoPro or digital video camera you pretty much have to take a laptop to transfer images off flash cards. Yes, you can do it through a phone to the cloud but it is slow and kind of a pain and you can't always get decent internet.

Honestly my own experience is that I really overpack on short trips and skinny everything down pretty hardcore for trips longer than about four days.

I live in the driest state of the driest continent on earth.
I finally have a solar charging solution (stationary) but weighs 5kg: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/bosch-solar-charging.26290/

Not sure what kind of mats, sleeping bags, cooking gear or shelter you use, or how old/young/fit you are but i'm not into torturing myself, which is why i purchased an e-bike to replace hiking, i like my 2 man tents size allowing gear inside and flexibility, etc.

Not sure if you have what we call fire danger seasons or total fire ban days where you can't have a fire at all, and in national parks are supposed to carry-in fire wood.

Not sure how far away towns/civilisation are where you go but in Australia, they can be pretty far. And if you are far away and you do find a shop, you can almost guarantee they don't have what you want :)
The USA has 33 people per square kilometer and Australia has 3.3, South Australian population density is 1.6 person/square km.

Believe me, i am a bit of a Gram Weenie, but i try to balance a bit of comfort.

Last edited:
Sorry to confuse everyone about the weight I normally carry on long-distance touring. To clarify: on my Delite around Australia, I had up to 20kg on the back rack ( and had zero problems with the rack). This max weight was when I had to carry a 12.5 kg generator on it because my trailer broke and I had to swap around some stuff to lighten the trailer load. But the all-up weight is much higher for around Australia: the total rig, including me at 85kg and bike/batteries at 33 kg(?), weighed in at 168 kg (at the Heavy Vehicle Weighing Station at Port Augusta) - so that's about 50 kg of luggage spread out over front and rear racks, handlebars and trailer!
On my Supercharger, around Europe I travel much lighter - the rear rack broke, twice, with total load of 13kg on it (I weighed it!), and apart from that I had max 2kg on the handlebars, so 15 kg all up. Back in Australia on the Supercharger (actually, a different bike) add on 4 kg for extra tools, spares and water, making my load on the back rack 17 kg, plus another 4kg on the handlebars.
13kg and it broke, wow. If it happens to mine, with your experience, sounds like i better get a custom made Chrome Molly rack to fit exactly like the existing one. I do like my Supercharger :)
So, back in Australia, are you on a different Supercharger or different bike altogether.

Last edited:
Note that the rear rack on a Supercharger is bolted to the frame - it is the weld that attaches the mounting bracket to the bottom of the sidebars of the rack that keep cracking.
I am currently also considering a FAIV front rack, but they're expensive: https://faiv.de/luggage-rack-for-suspension-fork/
Yes, after looking at the Supercharger rear rack, you're right, doh :)
I think the FAIV would be the way to go with any front suspension solution as it's suspended like the Delite rear rack. Unfortunately they don't ship outside the EU. :(

I live in the driest state of the driest continent on earth.
I finally have a solar charging solution (stationary) but weighs 5kg: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/bosch-solar-charging.26290/

Not sure if you have what we call fire danger seasons or total fire ban days where you can't have a fire at all, and in national parks are supposed to carry-in fire wood.

These photos were taken from my house:

IMG_5457.JPG
fullsizeoutput_7d.jpeg

'nuff said.

Not sure what kind of mats, sleeping bags, cooking gear or shelter you use, or how old/young/fit you are but i'm not into torturing myself, which is why i purchased an e-bike to replace hiking, i like my 2 man tents size allowing gear inside and flexibility, etc.

These are typical conditions that I go camping in:

DSC01410.JPGDSC01300.JPG_DSC2117.JPG

Back