Nyon Retrofit

Alaskan

I found a used Bosch Nyon display on eBay from a California based seller for $100 - free shipping. He did have a bunch of them. The display arrived and appears to be in nearly new condition, no scratches or dings, with the "remove this" screen protection still adhered. There was also a German seller that had the left side thumb controller for $60 plus $18 shipping.

They arrived and I was able to snap the display on to the center handlebar mount for the Intuvia that came on my bike. With some searching I was able to find and download the correct app file for my Samsung Android phone which is not available in the USA through the play store. I then proceeded to set up a profile at the Bosch Ebike Connect site.

I replaced the Intuvia controller with the Nyon controller that has a duplicate joy stick, mounted the Nyon and got a 580 error message telling me to take it in to a dealer. Pushing beyond that screen allowed me to connect the display to my home wi-fi network. Once that was done the unit automatically updated, adding eMTB mode to the mix! Connection to my phone through the app was simple and straightforward. I downloaded the maps for my home state, set up custom screens for Riding and Fitness. I was able to purchase the custom riding modes at the play store, which registered with Bosch no problem.

For under $180, I now have a fully functional Nyon on my Cube Touring Hybrid Exc 500 with Bosch CX drive.

The Nyon is so much more than the Intuvia. It connects to a heart rate monitor, has a vast array of customizable information, built in GPS with mapping and trip planning and the Bosch Ebike Connect portal is easy to use, intuitive and very useful. The only downside is that, as a rather robust bike comuter, it takes about 15 seconds to boot up so you cannot just push a button and go when you get back to your bike. Just start it up while you are unlocking and it is all good.

The Nyon was the most useful, coolest add-on I have put on my bike.

20180308_070319.jpg

Hi,
Thank you for the heads up. I have wanted a Nyon for some time now but couldn't justify the price.
I just bought it now. I also found and bought from the ebay seller from Germany for the controller.
Is hooking up the controller tricky?
This will go on my Haibike FullSeven with the Bosch Performance Line 28mph motor.
I use an iPhone and am hoping I can find the app needed.
If I get hung up in the install would you mind me contacting you for help?
Again, thank you!!

Hi,
Thank you for the heads up. I have wanted a Nyon for some time now but couldn't justify the price.
I just bought it now. I also found and bought from the ebay seller from Germany for the controller.
Is hooking up the controller tricky?
This will go on my Haibike FullSeven with the Bosch Performance Line 28mph motor.
I use an iPhone and am hoping I can find the app needed.
If I get hung up in the install would you mind me contacting you for help?
Again, thank you!!

Happy to help. Feel free to call 360 510-2213

A quick caution: I bought my Cube on eBay for an outrageously good price but I did take a risk. Although it was a new bike, it was not purchased from an authorized Bosch dealer. As such, I have no warranty. I am cool with that as I am a good mechanic and pretty darn techie. I suspect anyone in the USA who installs a Nyon on their Bosch e-bike may be putting their warranty at risk.

I strongly recommend that anyone contemplating the installation of a Nyon in the USA check first with Bosch and make sure you are not invalidating your warranty.

Thank you for the heads up on the warranty. I've already ordered the pieces so I am committed. If there was an issue with Bosch I suppose I could put the Intuvia system back on. But I will check into it and post back here if I learn anything.

I found a used Bosch Nyon display on eBay from a California based seller for $100 - free shipping. He did have a bunch of them. The display arrived and appears to be in nearly new condition, no scratches or dings, with the "remove this" screen protection still adhered. There was also a German seller that had the left side thumb controller for $60 plus $18 shipping.

They arrived and I was able to snap the display on to the center handlebar mount for the Intuvia that came on my bike. With some searching I was able to find and download the correct app file for my Samsung Android phone which is not available in the USA through the play store. I then proceeded to set up a profile at the Bosch Ebike Connect site.

I replaced the Intuvia controller with the Nyon controller that has a duplicate joy stick, mounted the Nyon and got a 580 error message telling me to take it in to a dealer. Pushing beyond that screen allowed me to connect the display to my home wi-fi network. Once that was done the unit automatically updated, adding eMTB mode to the mix! Connection to my phone through the app was simple and straightforward. I downloaded the maps for my home state, set up custom screens for Riding and Fitness. I was able to purchase the custom riding modes at the play store, which registered with Bosch no problem.

For under $180, I now have a fully functional Nyon on my Cube Touring Hybrid Exc 500 with Bosch CX drive.

The Nyon is so much more than the Intuvia. It connects to a heart rate monitor, has a vast array of customizable information, built in GPS with mapping and trip planning and the Bosch Ebike Connect portal is easy to use, intuitive and very useful. The only downside is that, as a rather robust bike comuter, it takes about 15 seconds to boot up so you cannot just push a button and go when you get back to your bike. Just start it up while you are unlocking and it is all good.

The Nyon was the most useful, coolest add-on I have put on my bike.

View attachment 20252

Very cool.
How accurate is the GPS. If you think GPS works really well, based on your experience, I may get a Nyon for myself.
Would you mind sharing how you got the app downloaded (please inbox me! if it can't be shared here).

Thanks

My understanding is that the Nyon uses openstreetmap. At least where I live (North Central Washington State, USA) openstreetmap is missing quite a bit of map data (including the road I live on). So I have to consider the map data of questionable quality.

Ravi, The GPS seems to be quite accurate based on where it shows me on the map at home as well as out and about town. There may be a slight lag on position under way, no more than 75 feet it would appear.

Here is a link to the download page I found for the free apk file for Android phones https://ebike-connect.en.aptoide.com/ While it is a dated version from a year ago, once it has been installed, updates are easy and just like any other. You have to give permission for an installation from an unknown source in your android system in order to install this.

Mr. Coffee, I live in Belingham, Washington not too far away and the mapping is quite adequate. I am not sure how up to date the map is as well live in an older, well established neighborhood (near WWU on the hill).

TallPaul, Installation of the controller is straightforward. The other end of the controller cable is attached to a 1"'x1" rectangular panel on the back upper left of the intuvia display mount, held in place by four tiny screws. You need an very small, jewelers Phillips screw driver.

One of the Nyon's great advantages is that it will install its updates from the web automatically. It did not have the eMTB assist mode when it arrived. After the update it was there and works great. With the Nyon, you will not have to go to the dealer to get the updates installed.

• Have the app loaded to your phone. Here is a link to an Android app download https://ebike-connect.en.aptoide.com/
    Take a photo with your phone of how the cable runs from the controller to the display mount.
  • Mine was wound loosely around my handlebar (see my photo above).
  • Loosen the screw at the bottom of the intuvia controller and take it off the left side of your handlebar.
  • Slightly loosen all four screws on your intuvia display mount and rotate it on the handlebar so it is as upside down as possible.
  • Carefully remove the four screws holding the small panel to the back of the mount.
  • Carefully remove the controller interface panel taking care to catch the fine weather-sealing, red gasket
  • Make sure the fine, red sealing gasket is in its groove before you place the Nyon controller interface on the back of the display mount.
  • Secure the four screws.
  • Turn on the Nyon. You will get the 580 error message. Ignore it push the up or down button.
  • Make sure you are within good range of your home wifi network.
  • Get into the settings menu and set up your wifi, enter password, etc.
  • The Nyon will automatically want to update to the latest version. Let it do that.
  • On your computer go to https://www.ebike-connect.com and set up your account/profile.
  • Start exploring and playing around.
  • Create custom ride and fitness screens.
  • Open up your portal at ebike-connect.com when you get home from riding. All the legs of your route for the day are mapped out and recorded in detail while you are walking from your bike to your computer...too cool.
  • Create your next route on your computer and download it to your nyon...ready to go when you turn on your bike.

Nyon is the best looking, most useful bike computer I have seen. The only negative is that it takes about 15 seconds to boot up before you can select assist levels and begin your ride.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the app for iPhone in the US?
If I am unable to get the iPhone app will I still be able to use the Nyon? If so, what limitations will I have using the Nyon?

Seems a shame to not make this technology available here, especially to us early eBike enthusiasts.

Anyway, I'd be super appreciative if there is anyone to help out there.

My Nyon and controller are on their way, thanks to the Alaskan's post yesterday, and a big thanks to him for sharing this with us!

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the app for iPhone in the US?
If I am unable to get the iPhone app will I still be able to use the Nyon? If so, what limitations will I have using the Nyon?

Seems a shame to not make this technology available here, especially to us early eBike enthusiasts.

Anyway, I'd be super appreciative if there is anyone to help out there.

My Nyon and controller are on their way, thanks to the Alaskan's post yesterday, and a big thanks to him for sharing this with us!

Paul,

I rarely use the phone app and regularly use the on line portal through the browser on my PC. The phone app is handy when you are traveling but I have not yet found anything in the app that cannot be done on the PC. The reverse is not true. The online portal on the pc is much more feature laden than the app. That being the case, if I were you, I would still try to find a source to download the app. Not being an apple guy I wonder if it is even possible to install an app from a third party. Apple seems to jealously control user ability to do anything outside their ecosystem. I am sure it would be helpful, if you figure out an apple work around, to share it here so others can access it.

In the meantime, don't lose any sleep about no having the app. The browser portal and Nyon should be all you really need.

That's great to hear Alaskan. I thought all maps, gps, etc. had to go through the smartphone and then to the Nyon.
From what I can gather one could set up a European account somehow and then download the app. You are right in that one can't just send the app as an attachment and then install it, it has to come through the App Store directly into your smartphone.
Hopefully someone here will share a way to get the app.
I was able to set up the Bosch eBike Connect on my desktop, and am thinking that when I get the Nyon installed the computer and it will link ok, as you showed above in your outline of steps.

That's great to hear Alaskan. I thought all maps, gps, etc. had to go through the smartphone and then to the Nyon.
From what I can gather one could set up a European account somehow and then download the app. You are right in that one can't just send the app as an attachment and then install it, it has to come through the App Store directly into your smartphone.
Hopefully someone here will share a way to get the app.
I was able to set up the Bosch eBike Connect on my desktop, and am thinking that when I get the Nyon installed the computer and it will link ok, as you showed above in your outline of steps.

Paul Thanks on that. I stand corrected. I did access, choose and download the maps to the Nyon using the phone app, not the pc portal. I don't think I have used the phone app since, but clearly it is necessary to get the App on board to fully utilize the navigation capabilities of the Nyon. There are some workarounds to install an app on an iphone without going through the play store but they are hacks that would likely invalidate the phone warranty...just one more reason I would never own an apple product. In reallity apple controls everything, you just lease the gear rather than really owning and having control of your equipment.

Paul, I just double checked and am now downloading the maps for British Columbia, Canada using the map manager on the Nyon unit itself, connected to my home wifi. The phone is not playing any role in downloading the maps!

Alaskan, this is good to hear, thank you for double checking. It seems like I'll be ok as far as the maps go.
But I wonder if I'll be able to see text messages or be alerted to incoming phone calls without the app on the phone.

And yes, I agree with you regarding Apple trying to control the user. I think that over the years they have seemingly tried to "dumb down" the user experience. You download photos, for instance, and the app puts them where they are not accessible to the average user should they want to. Also the iCloud thing seems to always being pushed into our face making it tricky not to inadvertently sign up for it.
That being said, Apple has consistently produced beautiful, elegant products with the early user interfaces that seemed to win over the folks who previously would have nothing to do, or any interest in, with a computer. And this led to what seems like the amazing growth of home computing, and then mobile computing.

Alaskan, Earlier today I was able to download the iPhone app from the UK Apple App Store.
If anyone here is interested I followed the instructions on this link:

How to change the App Store to UK on iPhone & iPad: Get correct prices - Macworld UK

It worked perfectly, and when I was finished installing the app switched the phone back to it's regular settings.

Thank you again for your help. Now just waiting for the Nyon and controller (from Germany) to arrive.
I'll post my experience here when finished (keeping my fingers crossed!)

Happy to be of help. The nyon is a big enhancement IMO. I just connected a Bluetooth heart rate monitor to flesh out the fitness screen. Works perfectly. In emtb mode, climbing a long 12% grade, cadence of 78, 12 mph, heart rate 117...TMI ;)

Back