Nyon Retrofit

Hi//

Been using my Nyon for a while. It's easily the best cycling computer I've ever used. Particularly like being able to set my own custom display with all of the info that's important to me. Excellent device!
Saw a Bosch video a week or so ago that sort of introduces the new Nyon. There's some talk that it'll be available in North America - maybe by year's end. The new one appears to be smaller than the current one, but it has a touch screen display. You can go from screen to screen by swiping the display. Not so sure how excited I'd be with that - really don't want to be swiping a display to find another screen while I'm riding.
Anyway, I'm wondering if Bosch will try to purge their current inventory of the old Nyons to get ready for the rollout of he new one? If so you might see some price reductions on the old model. I got mine from a German vendor - very painless. May get another as a backup in case the first one dies....

regards,

Bob

Actually your SuperCommuter has the same motor as the Domane+ with the same output. But yes there is a CVT aspect to it. That said I still shift a lot between flats and significant grades, but the curve means I virtually never change the assist level—just shift gears. So it more resembles riding a regular road bike.
I just bought the Domane+ hp and was thinking about upgrading the computer to the Nyon when the bike is finally shipped. Curious how has your experience been like with the Nyon? Have you changed the ride mode and the acceleration of the bike? Has it improved any gaps?

Hi - had to look at the Trek ads to get a peek at the bike. Good looking bike - as is the rider on the web page. Not sure which Nyon you'll get. The 'old' Nyon is not supposed to be available in North America. The new one is. The old one slips on to the Intuvia head - believe the new one requires a different head. Had the Kiox initially and was very displeased with it. I've not used the new Nyon, but have a lot of experience with the old one. Like the old one so much that I bought another as a backup. I've implemented the custom ride modes and am vary happy with them. Can't say enough good things about the Nyon. The new Nyon is a bit smaller than the old one - the big difference is that the new Nyon has a touch-screen display. That's not a big plus for me. However, being able to customize the display information is a big deal. I know where everything is and know where to look for the info I need. Also like the font size - big enough to be easily understandable. Believe you'll be very happy with the Nyon.
regards,

Bob

Hi - had to look at the Trek ads to get a peek at the bike. Good looking bike - as is the rider on the web page. Not sure which Nyon you'll get. The 'old' Nyon is not supposed to be available in North America. The new one is. The old one slips on to the Intuvia head - believe the new one requires a different head. Had the Kiox initially and was very displeased with it. I've not used the new Nyon, but have a lot of experience with the old one. Like the old one so much that I bought another as a backup. I've implemented the custom ride modes and am vary happy with them. Can't say enough good things about the Nyon. The new Nyon is a bit smaller than the old one - the big difference is that the new Nyon has a touch-screen display. That's not a big plus for me. However, being able to customize the display information is a big deal. I know where everything is and know where to look for the info I need. Also like the font size - big enough to be easily understandable. Believe you'll be very happy with the Nyon.
regards,

Bob
Agree--I am not sure I could live without the Nyon. So much so that I bought TWO backups off European eBay sites. Love my custom curves--never use the standard ones. Only issue I have is that sometimes mid-ride after a hard bump the Nyon will restart, or more commonly, temporarily lose contact with the battery (a dash replaces the battery symbol). Having seen this issue discussed at length on these and other forums that issue seems to b due to a problem at the Nyon/mount interface; there is a more recent mount than the one I have that has been reported to fix this issue but I have not gotten my hands on one. That said, when it happens I just tap a couple of times on the top of the Nyon pushing it further into the mount and it reestablishes contact. A nuisance but not terrible given all the other benefits I get from it!

In case anyone wonders, it works fine to splice the Nyon (21) cable to the old Intuvia cable, if you are going from Intuvia to Nyon. I have a Riese and Mueller SuperDelite and getting the motor loose turned out to be way beyond my mechanical skills, so I couldn't thread the cable all the way down and plug it in properly. But it was pretty easy to splice the cables, which were accessible in some channels behind the lower battery. Not the most elegant solution obviously, but I think it will be fine since the spliced cables are protected inside the channels. Hope that's useful to someone!

Saw a new Nyon on an R&M Homage in Portland this past Thursday. Nice display. You can swipe to change screens. However, I’ll stick with my original Nyons. Extremely happy with it....

Hi//
Happy Fourth to everyone. This is for those who have a Nyon display. Is there a way to display the actual miles on your motor on the Nyon? Mine displays the total miles I have in my Bosch eBike account.

regards,

Bob

Hi//
Happy Fourth to everyone. This is for those who have a Nyon display. Is there a way to display the actual miles on your motor on the Nyon? Mine displays the total miles I have in my Bosch eBike account.

regards,

Bob
yes there is a odometer on the nyon its self. but none I found on the ebike connect app. on the old one its on the info screen.
IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

Here is a rare find ... The original Bosch Nyon (first generation) including the remote thumb control ... listed as "New" on eBay auction (ships from Australia). This is the Nyon version that can replace the Intuvia using the same mount as the Intuvia. A couple of years ago, these were easily available on eBay, but they have been rare for some time now. If I didn't already have a "spare" Nyon for my 2017 Gazelle, I would definitely be bidding on this unit.

I had both the old one had its own issues but was better with bluetooth but it was not as smooth as the new nyon. it told you how many watts per mile you were using but I never got about 197 watts even when I was pushing 400 watts myself up a steep hill. I know the Bosch bottoms out at 450 watts of my input on a steep hill. so I don't think it was super accurate.

Hi, folks. I bought my Nyons a while back and bought one as a backup ‘just in case.’ Still the best.
Took two with us to Europe for bike tours and were able to use them twice. Even had the GPS routes for one tour. Worked fine.
The guys who ran the tours had never seen the Nyon. Popped off the Intuvias and away we went.
Still the best cycle computer I’ve owned.

Hi, folks. I bought my Nyons a while back and bought one as a backup ‘just in case.’ Still the best.
Took two with us to Europe for bike tours and were able to use them twice. Even had the GPS routes for one tour. Worked fine.
The guys who ran the tours had never seen the Nyon. Popped off the Intuvias and away we went.
Still the best cycle computer I’ve owned.
I have to agree. I love my gen. 1 nyon, and the install was a piece of cake. That is why I also bought a spare just in case the original fails. The only thing I do with the spare is plug it in to a USB charger a couple of times a year to keep the battery topped off. I never understood why Bosch didn't market the original Nyon in North America. My LBS where I bought my Gazelle always comments on it when I take my bike in for a tune up. I thought they would give me some grief about it, but so far they have been more curious than critical.

Here is a rare find ... The original Bosch Nyon (first generation) including the remote thumb control ... listed as "New" on eBay auction (ships from Australia). This is the Nyon version that can replace the Intuvia using the same mount as the Intuvia. A couple of years ago, these were easily available on eBay, but they have been rare for some time now. If I didn't already have a "spare" Nyon for my 2017 Gazelle, I would definitely be bidding on this unit.
If anyone is still looking for the original Bosch Nyon that uses the same mount as the Intuvia, it looks like this seller from Austrailia has 3 more of them for sale in "new" condition. It's the updated 8 GB version including the thumb control ($220 "buy it now" plus $20 shipping to US).

(Note: I have no association with this seller. I just know these devices are hard to find and thought some EBR members may still be looking for one to buy. For older Bosch powered ebikes with the Intuvia display, this is a fairly simply DIY upgrade.)

Back