Noisy Bosch CX drive unit

Update: Had the LBS take a look and hook it up to the Bosch diagnostics center. No error codes, as expected. Shop agrees that the noise is not normal and will file a warranty claim for me. Let's see what Bosch says.

Update: Had the LBS take a look and hook it up to the Bosch diagnostics center. No error codes, as expected. Shop agrees that the noise is not normal and will file a warranty claim for me. Let's see what Bosch says.

Do you hear the noise when you turn off the support? When you remove the chain and turn the cranks by hand? I think that would be the best way to isolate the problem.

Good luck.

Do you hear the noise when you turn off the support? When you remove the chain and turn the cranks by hand? I think that would be the best way to isolate the problem.

Good luck.
Tried that. The noise is only on when the motor is on and engaged under light to medium load. Over the last week it also developed some grinding/knocking sound which supports the idea that there is something broken inside that is getting worse. I’ll ride it as long as I can and hope Bosch sends a replacement in time.

Tried that. The noise is only on when the motor is on and engaged under light to medium load. Over the last week it also developed some grinding/knocking sound which supports the idea that there is something broken inside that is getting worse. I’ll ride it as long as I can and hope Bosch sends a replacement in time.

Sorry to hear that, what model year was the motor?

10K miles is not much, keep us posted about the result. Good luck.

Sorry to hear that, what model year was the motor?

10K miles is not much, keep us posted about the result. Good luck.
Motor is on a 2016 Haibike XDuro Trekking RX. Bought it last year and started riding in March 2018. The diagnostics the store ran show the "date of manufacture" as 557 for the drive unit, whatever that means. DOM for the bike lists as June 17, 2016.

I'll update as i hear back from the store. They are pretty good and already helped me get a new battery when I had a problem with that.

Motor is on a 2016 Haibike XDuro Trekking RX. Bought it last year and started riding in March 2018. The diagnostics the store ran show the "date of manufacture" as 557 for the drive unit, whatever that means. DOM for the bike lists as June 17, 2016.

I'll update as i hear back from the store. They are pretty good and already helped me get a new battery when I had a problem with that.

We have same model year motors, mine is xduro cross. I never had a noise like that in the video however I sometimes have chain/ crank noise although without the chain I don't hear it hence it is more like a drivetrain noise.

I will be very happy if you keep us posted.

I had a funny noise lately only to find the the rear derailer was not perpendicular with the bike’s frame. The chain then could not grasp the gear perfectly in the low gear generally around 2nd and third one. I thought it was from the motor but I was mistaken. The tech re-aling the derailer and no more noise.
Sorry for my english I speak french.

Update:

Still waiting for a decision from Bosch customer service. Noise is getting louder and I now get a frequent sewing machine sound too that usually goes away when I briefly interrupt pedaling. Listen to the video from yesterday below.
Will keep on riding until I have a decision or the thing fails. Fingers crossed.

Update:

Still waiting for a decision from Bosch customer service. Noise is getting louder and I now get a frequent sewing machine sound too that usually goes away when I briefly interrupt pedaling. Listen to the video from yesterday below.
Will keep on riding until I have a decision or the thing fails. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully they will fix your motor soon.

Update:

Just a little thought Batmick1, if you continue riding, you stand a good chance of greatly increasing the damage in your motor. Obviously, if they give you a new motor, no problem. But there is a good chance they wont. You may want to err on the side of caution in case this delay ends up costing you more in the end.
Sorry to stick my nose in, but I see this scenario A LOT!

Just a little thought Batmick1, if you continue riding, you stand a good chance of greatly increasing the damage in your motor. Obviously, if they give you a new motor, no problem. But there is a good chance they wont. You may want to err on the side of caution in case this delay ends up costing you more in the end.
Sorry to stick my nose in, but I see this scenario A LOT!
Thanks! I know this is happening. I wrenched on conventional bikes for many years.
But I decided to take the gamble on Bosch giving me a new motor. This bike is how I get to work and I don't want to drive my car for weeks until they make up their mind

Update: I am getting a new drive on warranty. Yay!

After a long silence I decided to email Bosch customer service myself to inquire and to my surprise they replied the next day. After a couple of emails back and forth and phone calls to my local bike store, we had all information Bosch wanted lined up, pictures taken and now I am waiting for the new drive to arrive.

Perfect timing too because our campus is closed over the holidays and I do not need the bike for commuting.

So my advice is to stay on top of things and don't hesitate to get in touch with Bosch yourself. Squeaky wheel and such...

Update: I am getting a new drive on warranty. Yay!

After a long silence I decided to email Bosch customer service myself to inquire and to my surprise they replied the next day. After a couple of emails back and forth and phone calls to my local bike store, we had all information Bosch wanted lined up, pictures taken and now I am waiting for the new drive to arrive.

Perfect timing too because our campus is closed over the holidays and I do not need the bike for commuting.

So my advice is to stay on top of things and don't hesitate to get in touch with Bosch yourself. Squeaky wheel and such...

Great to hear that you are getting a new motor. Bosch is doing a good job on these warranty claims.

On the flip side I am afraid many motors, mine included which is probably from the same batch as yours, may need replacement around 10k (yours is not the first case I heard that failed around 10k) and not everyone will reach 10K in two years hence when this happens they will be out of warranty.

Great to hear that you are getting a new motor. Bosch is doing a good job on these warranty claims.

On the flip side I am afraid many motors, mine included which is probably from the same batch as yours, may need replacement around 10k (yours is not the first case I heard that failed around 10k) and not everyone will reach 10K in two years hence when this happens they will be out of warranty.
Don't worry Johnny, we are definitely not seeing any failure patterns around any particular mileages or manufacturing dates etc.

Final update:

Bosch shipped a new drive to my LBS and they just installed it. Bike is like new again. My first ride to work this morning was so quiet after weeks with the faulty drive. I can't believe how much I had gotten used to the noise.

So fingers crossed for the next drive. I asked the Bosch rep to let me know what was broken in the old one, if the service team even looks at the returned unit. They would not allow the LBS and me to open it and see for ourselves. So curious to know what caused this behavior.

Hi.
This is my Cube 2019 with Bosch CX performance. It has 3700 km.
Since few days a go, a have been experiencing this noise.
What do you think? Where does it comes from? Bearings?

Hi.
This is my Cube 2019 with Bosch CX performance. It has 3700 km.
Since few days a go, a have been experiencing this noise.
What do you think? Where does it comes from? Bearings?

Get the back tire in the air and hand crank the pedals. That noise almost sounds like your saddle or something else on the bike. Bearing noise to me is a very consistent noise, not what you have there.

Get the back tire in the air and hand crank the pedals. That noise almost sounds like your saddle or something else on the bike. Bearing noise to me is a very consistent noise, not what you have there.
No. Noise comes mostly from left crank arm when I push it really hard.

Back