No throttle and no way home today... :(

Stefan is on ignore also but I checked what he said

No I have not owned specialized but have ridden them and other brose bikes and think the brose motor is my favorite out of the euro type drives

If I had an extra $6000 and more space would probably have one in my garage

I have owned 2 Yamaha mid drives that I loved and have ridden Bosch bikes

Definitely think there is a time and place for low power mid drives just like all the other bikes with or without throttles
For $2400 I almost bought the Brose-equipped Prodigy. But it lacked a throttle.

... I also wish riders would advocate for the laws and regulations they want in their communities, rather than ignore the laws. I'm not the ebike cop though. ...
It appears that Dr. Dog deleted his dissertation. One small point for him. Your point, above, is one of Django's points too, and it's hard to argue with. There does seem to be a time though when enough has probably been said. The secondary point about not being the ebike police may be more relevant.

If people disregard the rules they do it on their own account and will bear the responsibility themselves for any infractions or damages. I think bike safety is much more about riders' behavior than exactly how their bikes are configured, so I will sometimes ignore the class rules at my own risk. I'll be glad to do what I can to bring about more sensible regulations too.

TT

Let us re-visit the original post. Something broke in Vincent's pedal and she could travel home on throttle (not possible without). It was brought as a fundamental reason for having a throttle on an e-bike.

The reality is the reason of a stopped ride almost always is a tyre flat. No throttle would have helped that. What else might go wrong? A snapped chain. A long distance cyclist carries a chain-tool and a spare master chain link. Necessary to say, I was met with the case of a snapped chain only twice, of which the first case happened to me in the first days of riding my first (hub-drive motor) e-bike. At that time, I even did not know chain-tools existed. And yes, I got me to the train by ghost pedalling (the hub motor got activated and I could be "ridden" by the e-bike slowly). Note: I didn't need any throttle, as the crankset/pedals were operable.

What else? A rare situation in which the free-hub body driver in the e-MTB broke. Fortunately, it was possible to continue the ride. Throttle? As it was a mid-drive motor, it would make no difference.

The situation as described by the OP is so rare that is not an argument for having a throttle. For instance, spokes happen to snap. Would the throttle help? Not.
-------------------
The throttle (where it is legal) has its uses. Often no other way for disabled people who want to enjoy riding. A commuter can arrive to work fresh on a Class 2 e-bike. Why is the throttle thing causing so many emotions then? Simple: Many throttle users actually feel guilty when they "cheat" by using the throttle; they are looking for excuses. There are not a small number of people here riding illegal powerful throttle operated e-bikes too. The aggression comes from the fact they feel guilty and try to convince themselves they are acting right.
-------------------
I got attracted by the gravel cycling community, participating in many group rides (what is called "gravel cycling" here often involves riding harsh terrain, especially in forests and mud). There are very little e-bikes in the Mazovian plains so my buddies of both sexes have no clue what the e-bike is. My presence on the gravel group rides always leads to e-bike discussions:

'Where's the throttle, Stefan?'
'Are you telling me you need to pedal all the time to ride?!'
'What is your battery range?'

Now fancy that: We have been pedalling for some 50 km against stiff headwind. I volunteered to pace the group as a "keirin motorcycle", so the group could be drafting. I was trying to keep a constant pace of 25 km/h but weaker riders could not follow anyway. As we stopped to wait for the marauders...

1660801008403.png

...exactly in this place...

...a "fast'n'furious" zoomed past the group on a Frankenstein "e-bike" at very very high speed. A merry buddy shouted to me:
'Stefan, a friend of yours!' to which I made a face and growled:
'HE'S NO FRIEND OF MINE".

As long as the traditional cycling community thinks "e-bikes ride themselves", we e-bikers will be always perceived as cheaters. Because of that throttle thing.
P.S. The guy who attracted me for this kind of sport is borrowing my Vado SL for a week. I can see a future Creo Evo rider in him :)

Last edited:
It must be terrible to be so alone with the throttle as the only friend...
----------------
@tomjasz: I'm reading more and more...
1660807497504.png

An excerpt from the EU Regulation 168/2013 clearly states that vehicles intended for disabled people do not undergo Type Approval. So you would probably be able to build some e-bikes for the handicapped, provided these would be reasonable and safe. (There might be other regulations related to the disabled people transports).

You often say I am ignorant in American matters. True. As much as you are ignorant in European matters.

Last edited:
It appears that Dr. Dog deleted his dissertation. One small point for him. Your point, above, is one of Django's points too, and it's hard to argue with. There does seem to be a time though when enough has probably been said. The secondary point about not being the ebike police may be more relevant.

If people disregard the rules they do it on their own account and will bear the responsibility themselves for any infractions or damages. I think bike safety is much more about riders' behavior than exactly how their bikes are configured, so I will sometimes ignore the class rules at my own risk. I'll be glad to do what I can to bring about more sensible regulations too.

TT
I”ll try to keep it short.

It only takes one small plane bringing down an airliner to change airspace laws covering the entire US and effecting everyone involved in civil aviation.

You will have to assume the moral of the story……..

You're as obtuse as a fresh pyramid of steaming s*it.
No one cares what the traditional cycling community thinks or has to say... and no one cares what you think or have to say. Period.
I care, but then again, I am a traditional cyclist too.

I happen to agree with Stefan Mikes. By your angry gut reaction, I think that a part of you knows that he is right. The truth can be a bitter pill. Let the profanity resume, (Army vet, I’ve heard worse from better and we couldn’t hit ignore).

Ironically, it was in a rec hall on Fort Jackson that I read some words to live by, “Profanity is the effort of a feeble mind to express itself forcibly “. Carry on…..

Last edited:
Ignore him, he is a waste of time
This is a “forum”. Ignoring someone, or telling someone else to ignore someone because you don’t like their opinion is contrary to the entire premise of a forum. If someone is abusive and you don’t want to deal with it, then by all means, ignore them. If you want to live in an echo-chamber then feel free to ignore anyone with an opposing opinion.

I joined this forum to learn as a new e-bike cyclist and to share as a lifelong traditional cyclist. I currently belong to a number of forums including guitar and talking machines. In the past I had been very active as both a private pilot and hang glider pilot, a sailer and sea kayaker. But this is the place where I see the most division and profanity. I enjoy the pictures and stories, the builds, the “legal” modifications and the reviews. I enjoy the stories of the road and trail. I even enjoy the differences of opinion, but it seems that many have a big chip on their shoulder and cannot accept that there might be some truth other than their own.

I also think that many on here ignore the fact that the bicycle infrastructure that you enjoy and are claiming was never built with e-bikes in mind. It was put in place for equines, pedestrians and cyclists. The cycling infrastructure is the result of more than a century of effort and a partnership between cyclists and government. Then e-bike enthusiasts come alone. Most may be respectful and appreciative of all that came before them and others only think of themselves and their needs and wants. You are not an individual when you participate in an activity. You are a representative. You are your activity’s ambassador. See a worm in one apple and you will suspect the next.

TT
In my area, if the masses of ebikers got involved we might have regulations that better represent the public's desires. I think the concern many have is if enough people break the rules, the whole thing could get shut down. From my experience in the regulatory arena, I know this is possible. Local governments run these trail and path venues on a shoestring budget. A total ban is cheaper to enforce than policing classes, speeds and power.

People would be surprised at what they would find at these local regulatory meetings. The trails, MUPS and paths are often regulated by parks departments, department of natural resources, park rangers and citizen advisory boards. Many of them are volunteers, all of them really want to see the best use of public resources. Most cases they want to see more use, not less, as they get more grants based on use. They go to great pains to count and survey how many locals and visitors use these venues every year.

We went up against a total ban. The people were mostly nice. Some citizens and lawmakers weren't very open to any sort of change to the ban and the majority of the advisory board were against ebikes. After a number of public meetings, a lot of testimony, documents presented, we still hadn't won the day. We setup test rides for all involved and that was the deciding factor in our favor. They don't know what they don't know.

When I say I'm not the ebike police, I mean I'm not going to police the trails. I'm not going to police my friends or people I meet on the trails. The bike (within reason) rarely tells anything about the person riding it. If I have a natural opportunity to share my experience I do. To be very honest, I just want to enjoy my rides, my trails and the friends I ride with. It would be sad to lose any of that.

I really wonder what would happen if everyone posting in this thread got together for an all day group ride? A nice outdoor lunch? The differences and acrimony would disappear. We did that a couple summers ago. Men, women, probably an age span of 25 years. Great day and we never talked about power or throttles. We talked very little about bikes. We have far more in common than differences.

I care, but then again, I am a traditional cyclist too.

I happen to agree with Stefan Mikes. By your angry gut reaction, I think that a part of you knows that he is right. The truth can be a bitter pill. Let the profanity resume, (Army vet, I’ve heard worse from better and we couldn’t hit ignore).

Ironically, it was in a rec hall on Fort Jackson that I read some words to live by, “Profanity is the effort of a feeble mind to express itself forcibly “. Carry on…..
A lot of us are lifelong cyclists. As a child we all rode bikes, then in the 70's I got, what we called in my area a "10 speed english racer". Funny now. It was a department store bike. My first serious bike was a late 70's French made Motobecane. Great bike, light bike, weird bike because the French do things differently. Hard to get parts. I also had Schwinn road bikes when they were good and made in the USA. My first all aluminum bike was a Schwinn. There was a Raleigh in there too. By the mid 80's I was moving in the direction of off road, gravel, MTB as rudimentary as they were. I owned a hybrid once. It did nothing particularly well, but it turned into a good friends and family bike.

I still like the dirt and I'm a big fan of kitting out a hardtail MTB for gravel. Sort of a modified XC style of riding, where I tend to ride the wider tracks (doubletracks) and not so much singletrack. I also ride a lot of rail trails. A lot of forest and history to explore.

Search around here on the forum, there's riders and experiences here. Old saddle tramps abound. You may already know that😉

by comparison there are relatively fewer areas of good infrastructure in the united states, with some high spots in a few western and/or coastal cities. one wonders if rapid uptake of ebikes in the united states despite crappy infrastructure is aided by faster, more robust, more powerful bikes?
I think you've hit on a lot of why there's so much disagreement here, particularly on the subject of "throttle only" and the "but that's too fast" arguments.

Americans can't even make bike lanes properly. My town has three roads with them... allegedly, and in all three cases what was done is to take an existing lane that was already too narrow for larger cars, draw a line 2/5ths of the way across it, put down some pictures of bikes with arrows, and call it a job done.

The result? A***holes screaming "get out of the road" even when you're in the bike lane. People crawling so hard up your ass that if you slow down below 15 you are going to get hit. Some stretches where if you're not 5mph over the speed limit you WILL get run off the road. I had a guy screaming at me "Why are you in the road?!?", then try to open his passenger door directly in front of me so I'd crash, next to the blasted sign that said "no bicycles on sidewalks". The nearby traffic and parking enforcement po-po was not impressed and ticketed the piss out of him.

It's not just that America -- or at least New England -- is inept at building bicycle infrastructure, it's that we just don't have a widespread bicycle culture, much less respect for people riding bikes on the part of the majority of "normal citizens". This is slowly changing... but the operative word is "slowly".

As someone I think already mentioned we have a slew of narcissistic sociopaths driving their 3mpg coal rolling penis extensions making lives for the rest of us miserable. The eraser necked testosterone poisoned fools trying to drag this country back in time 1400 years.

I also think it's a matter of terrain. Those of you with prepared and maintained infrastructure probably can't understand the need for a 750 watt or stronger motor. As I said already on these forums I have a number of "sleepy residential" areas with hills that would burn out a 250 and that no normal casual rider would even consider biking up unpowered.

Or again when they try to make infrastructure, we end up with crap like the Ashuelot rail trail heading south out of my town that's barely safe on foot, and is so much "Elmer Fudd" terrain you best hope you have loc-tite on everything because otherwise your bike IS coming apart. Which is why I stick to the Cheshire rail trails which see more traffic and are better maintained.

It's a bit like European vs. American motorcycle tastes. I've heard a lot of European sports bike fans who don't understand Harleys, Indians, or even import comfort cruisers like the Honda Goldwing. That's just a function of the distances one travels. Americans tend to travel further, just because we're more spread out, or for fun. We also have a distinct lack of affordable quality public transit in terms of going interstate since trains are "The evil". Thus more people in cars and on motorcycles. We just have more casual comfort riders which is why crotch-rockets are toys of the young, then you "grow up and get a cruiser." Or at least that's the commonplace attitude.

And it's not hard to understand when you consider that going from Kennebunkport to Miami is about the same distance as Paris to Jerusalem! Let's face it, the idea of people commuting 50 to 70 miles to work by car probably isn't something you'd call normal in Europe. That's the norm in places like Taxachusetts. I grew up in Cedarville, MA. People from Cedarville and Bourne commuted -- by car -- to Boston anywhere from 45 to 70 miles away. Every flipping workday. You brits, how normal is it for people from Kendal to commute by car to Manchester every day?

America has a car culture, and a "two hour drive isn't even a real trip" attitude. Thus we do not have a bicycle culture, proper infrastructure for it, support for it from the "normals", where I am we have a relative lack of "flat' terrain, and all these factors likely contribute to the desire for faster more powerful bikes in order to actually ride safely and be less of a nuisance to cars.

And that's also where the "throttle speed" argument holds water like a steel sieve. I hear that's the best kind... of sieve. I don't know about other e-bikes but my Aventon -- unlocked -- throttle only can barely get up to 20 on the flat, and really 18 would be more realistic an average. Lah-dee-huffing dah. I was doing 18+ on my crappy 3 speed beach cruiser 12 years and 100 pounds ago when I still clocked in at 280.

Does that mean I shouldn't have been allowed on the bike trails? What about pro cyclists who can hit 45+, should they not be allowed on multi-use paths either? THAT is how stupid the "but the throttle goes fast" argument sounds!

And of course just because I can get up to 35 in assist 5 pedaling like a maniac, does that mean I shouldn't be allowed on those trails when pro cyclists without a motor can go faster? When downhill mountain bikers can go faster? When I'm spitting distance from what a person in reasonable health on a 1980's 21 speed road bike could do? What a crock!

So hell yeah, the more powerful bikes finally cracking the US market? Of course it is. Between terrain, lack of infrastructure, the attitude of drivers towards cyclists, and where some people it's still 20+ miles just to get to the grocers?

It must be nice to live in a place where a class 1 is practical. Where I am isn't it. It's part of why I wanted an e-bike is that not only am I getting to the age where conventional biking is impractical, my low speeds on the cruiser were starting to make it unsafe because of how people in cars and trucks behave around bikes.

Last edited:
Cyclists have been around for a longtime. E-bike cycling is in it’s infancy. I have been involved in cycling for many years. The rights of cyclists are tentative at best and they are lost more easily than gained. People that only think of their own wants can ruin it for those that are law abiding. DIY or illegal modifications could lead to inspections and registrations. It is easier for governments to ban an activity than to learn about it and regulate it properly. There will always have to be compromise. No throttle on a multi-use trail is a compromise that allows pedal assist to use the facility. Advocacy groups could probably get an exemption for the disabled, but that won’t happed if the regulating body is dealing with people that are abusing the system.

I don’t claim to be an e-bike expert. I had been involved with Rails to Trails Back in the early days. I have been involved in racing. I have been involved in group rides and clubs. I have built high end road and mountain bikes, including the wheels. I probably have more background in cycling than many here, but I am still learning about e-bikes. I have also learned that the e-bike community has some growing up to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you've hit on a lot of why there's so much disagreement here, particularly on the subject of "throttle only" and the "but that's too fast" arguments.

Americans can't even make bike lanes properly. My town has three roads with them... allegedly, and in all three cases what was done is to take an existing lane that was already too narrow for larger cars, draw a line 2/5ths of the way across it, put down some pictures of bikes with arrows, and call it a job done.

The result? A***holes screaming "get out of the road" even when you're in the bike lane. People crawling so hard up your ass that if you slow down below 15 you are going to get hit. Some stretches where if you're not 5mph over the speed limit you WILL get run off the road. I had a guy screaming at me "Why are you in the road?!?", then try to open his passenger door directly in front of me so I'd crash, next to the blasted sign that said "no bicycles on sidewalks". The nearby traffic and parking enforcement po-po was not impressed and ticketed the piss out of him.

It's not just that America -- or at least New England -- is inept at building bicycle infrastructure, it's that we just don't have a widespread bicycle culture, much less respect for people riding bikes on the part of the majority of "normal citizens". This is slowly changing... but the operative word is "slowly".

As someone I think already mentioned we have a slew of narcissistic sociopaths driving their 3mpg coal rolling penis extensions making lives for the rest of us miserable. The eraser necked testosterone poisoned fools trying to drag this country back in time 1400 years.

I also think it's a matter of terrain. Those of you with prepared and maintained infrastructure probably can't understand the need for a 750 watt or stronger motor. As I said already on these forums I have a number of "sleepy residential" areas with hills that would burn out a 250 and that no normal casual rider would even consider biking up unpowered.

Or again when they try to make infrastructure, we end up with crap like the Ashuelot rail trail heading south out of my town that's barely safe on foot, and is so much "Elmer Fudd" terrain you best hope you have loc-tite on everything because otherwise your bike IS coming apart. Which is why I stick to the Cheshire rail trails which see more traffic and are better maintained.

It's a bit like European vs. American motorcycle tastes. I've heard a lot of European sports bike fans who don't understand Harleys, Indians, or even import comfort cruisers like the Honda Goldwing. That's just a function of the distances one travels. Americans tend to travel further, just because we're more spread out, or for fun. We also have a distinct lack of affordable quality public transit in terms of going interstate since trains are "The evil". Thus more people in cars and on motorcycles. We just have more casual comfort riders which is why crotch-rockets are toys of the young, then you "grow up and get a cruiser." Or at least that's the commonplace attitude.

And it's not hard to understand when you consider that going from Kennebunkport to Miami is about the same distance as Paris to Jerusalem! Let's face it, the idea of people commuting 50 to 70 miles to work by car probably isn't something you'd call normal in Europe. That's the norm in places like Taxachusetts. I grew up in Cedarville, MA. People from Cedarville and Bourne commuted -- by car -- to Boston anywhere from 45 to 70 miles away. Every flipping workday. You brits, how normal is it for people from Kendal to commute by car to Manchester every day?

America has a car culture, and a "two hour drive isn't even a real trip" attitude. Thus we do not have a bicycle culture, proper infrastructure for it, support for it from the "normals", where I am we have a relative lack of "flat' terrain, and all these factors likely contribute to the desire for faster more powerful bikes in order to actually ride safely and be less of a nuisance to cars.

And that's also where the "throttle speed" argument holds water like a steel sieve. I hear that's the best kind... of sieve. I don't know about other e-bikes but my Aventon -- unlocked -- throttle only can barely get up to 20 on the flat, and really 18 would be more realistic an average. Lah-dee-huffing dah. I was doing 18+ on my crappy 3 speed beach cruiser 12 years and 100 pounds ago when I still clocked in at 280.

Does that mean I shouldn't have been allowed on the bike trails? What about pro cyclists who can hit 45+, should they not be allowed on multi-use paths either? THAT is how stupid the "but the throttle goes fast" argument sounds!

And of course just because I can get up to 35 in assist 5 pedaling like a maniac, does that mean I shouldn't be allowed on those trails when pro cyclists without a motor can go faster? When downhill mountain bikers can go faster? When I'm spitting distance from what a person in reasonable health on a 1980's 21 speed road bike could do? What a crock!

So hell yeah, the more powerful bikes finally cracking the US market? Of course it is. Between terrain, lack of infrastructure, the attitude of drivers towards cyclists, and where some people it's still 20+ miles just to get to the grocers?

It must be nice to live in a place where a class 1 is practical. Where I am isn't it. It's part of why I wanted an e-bike is that not only am I getting to the age where conventional biking is impractical, my low speeds on the cruiser were starting to make it unsafe because of how people in cars and trucks behave around bikes.
I hate to tell you this, but I live an hour North of you near Mount Ascutney. I am 66 and my wife is 71 and we both ride Class 1, 250w bikes. We also ride some 20%+ gravel roads. To make matters worse, I am technically disabled from a severe motorcycle accident, (complex spiral fractures, broken back, spinal cord injury to name a few…. I have also been a conventional cyclist for most of my life, so I know the challenges facing cyclists, (hostile drivers, potholes, lack of infrastructure). Somehow, until this year, I survived without even having a Class 1, and I still ride my road bike, (I bought the e-bike so that my wife and I could ride together).

More power and higher speeds will only put us closer to motorcycles and mopeds, (and registrations, inspections, greater restrictions and insurance). If someone wants speed, power and a throttle, there is a solution. I think that it is called a motorcycle. I see progress as better batteries, lighter bikes, better attitudes toward traditional cyclists because they are the ones that we can thank for starting it all and for any cycling infrastructure that presently exists.

I agree that cycling is a challenge around here. I very rarely ride the rail trails, but when I have, I have never seen anyone fitting the description of a Pro cyclist. Generally, you ride a rail trail for a leisurely ride without cars. That is not where the Pro cyclists tend go for a training ride. My road bike would do poorly on that terrain and a downhill mountain biker would be out of his element on such a flat trail as well. There will always be a yahoo showing off or being inconsiderate, but a serious cyclist tends to ride where they can ride best and not need to be weaving in and out of pedestrians and slower traffic, (of course there will be exceptions).

Last edited:
On some levels and in some countries, yes, but take a look at Poland and the disaster their rivers are. They make the Mississippi look like virgin waters. So while the brag is enlightened use of low-power torque only eBikes the back side is an environmental nightmare.
Poland also takes in its unfortunate neighbors from the Ukraine, shame on them. We would never do that. Why can’t they be more like us!!!!! (In case you missed it, that was sarcasm).

We could learn a thing or two from Poland and e-cyclists could learn a thing or two from traditional cyclists, but enough crazy talk. Poland has some polluted rivers, so Stefan obviously doesn’t know anything about cycling. That makes perfect sense. 🤯🤯🤯

Last edited:
I currently belong to a number of forums... But this is the place where I see the most division and profanity...

...You are not an individual when you participate in an activity. You are a representative. You are your activity’s ambassador.
Totally agree. I am on several forums and this one is where I see the most coarseness. And I mean, the most by a long shot. Not even a close comparison.

A visitor to this site could easily get the impression that ebikers are a rude, aggressive, mean, foul-mouthed bunch of teen-aged gang bangers. From reading the comments over the past couple of weeks, I know that a good many here are old enough (in our 60s or 70s) to know better. Whatever happened to common courtesy?

Getting back on topic as I rode past a yard sale at the end of the day they were giving away the stuff they could not sell. I grabbed a grinder that was pretty big and heavy, attached it to my rack with bungie chords which obviously was not enough to secure it. But my bike has a throttle and as I didn't want to pedal and cause any more movement it allowed me to hold the grinder with my right hand as I throttled and used the brake with my left. I store my bike on the porch, it's so much easier to navigate those 3 steps with a throttle.

Last edited:
Totally agree. I am on several forums and this one is where I see the most coarseness. And I mean, the most by a long shot. Not even a close comparison.

A visitor to this site could easily get the impression that ebikers are a rude, aggressive, mean, foul-mouthed bunch of teen-aged gang bangers. From reading the comments over the past couple of weeks, I know that a good many here are old enough (in our 60s or 70s) to know better. Whatever happened to common courtesy?
One! Too funny.

It’s the elitist attitude that riles others. We don’t call you out or troll threads suggesting you’re idiots for riding underpowered overpriced eBikes that force you to use an LBS for any system repairs yet that’s exactly what Mikes consistently does. Many builders are also long time cyclists. We’re just not as effete.

Whatever happened to common courtesy?
Ask Tom and Gionni that question.

Many builders are also long time cyclists. We’re just not as effete.
The point is you're not riding. You're building e-bikes, which leaves no time for riding.

Regarding the polluted River Odra/Oder. This disaster is the first one in say 30 years. It is unclear who's done it yet.
Generally, Polish rivers as any in the EU are clean because of strict environmental laws.

1660853794334.png

I in the River Wkra, 2021.

Last edited:
Okay @Stefan Mikes you get a dildo trophy for being the most popular EBR member.
I'll make sure it is Specialized for you. In any way.
I have throttle on my Ridiculous bike and have 600 miles on. I just learned that the left/front brake levers cut off motor switch only works while using throttle.

Right brake/rear switch cut off motor while pedaling.

It will take off like an Arabian race horse.
If you hold the throttle button and release the left brake lever. From a stand still

Canbus Flavor.
I probably missed something along the way. This thread has taken many twists and turns and I have no interest in searching through it.

Have you disclosed the make and model of your bike? If you could provide some details and specs, I’m sure that the right people could help you to sort out any issues that you are having.

I have no expertise regarding throttled e-bikes, but more information would probably be helpful to someone that does. I do know that there are safety issues and in some locations laws regarding power cut off tied to braking.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back