No throttle and no way home today... :(

I was thinking the same... also because my current cable runs down the seat stay.
That said checking the price, $450 ouch. For some reason I thought this would be less than $250
Yeah, the price went up significantly. I paid $325 18 months ago.
They made some improvements since then, including more water resistance, but I'm not sure it's worth an additional $125.

For someone like me with arthritic hands, it's still worth the price.

Last edited:
this is oft-stated, but actually isn’t exactly true. there is no mechanical advantage in most gears on a bike - the rear cog is much SMALLER than the front cog except on extreme cases. it’s actually mechanical disadvantage. all mid-drive motors have internal gearing which takes this into account, with the reduction ratio (as much as 20:1, i believe!) taking into account the torque of the motor and the expected range of gearing of the bike.
Call it what you like but simply put, my point was this: If it's easier for a human to turn the crank in a lower gear, it is also easier for an electric motor.

this is oft-stated, but actually isn’t exactly true. there is no mechanical advantage in most gears on a bike - the rear cog is much SMALLER than the front cog except on extreme cases. it’s actually mechanical disadvantage. all mid-drive motors have internal gearing which takes this into account, with the reduction ratio (as much as 20:1, i believe!) taking into account the torque of the motor and the expected range of gearing of the bike.
The mechanical advantage can be observed with e-MTBs, where gearing of 32T (front) - 50T (rear) is not anything strange. Just saying.

The mechanical advantage can be observed with e-MTBs, where gearing of 32T (front) - 50T (rear) is not anything strange. Just saying.
And how often do you use that combo Stefan? Last time you and I discussed this you admitted to using it only once. Seeing how you are the 'champion of miles' on this forum, that seems like a very low percentage.

I also have only ever used low gearing like that(34x52) a handful of times on my eMTB(8k total miles) and I do alot of steep terrain on this bike. In fact thats the whole point of that eMTB.

On my more gravel oriented speed pedelec ebikes with a 42t front chainring and 11-34cassette, torque multiplication has never come into play

Biktrix Monte Capro. Bike I call Ridiculous.
I learned that the front brake cut off sensor cut off the motor while only using throttle. Rear brake cut off sensor cut off motor while pedaling.
I called the dealer and asked if it's a normal function on my bike and they said no. The brake sensor should cut off the motor whenever it is applied front or rear. Safety feature is what they said. I will need to ask Biktrix next if it is an issue.
Just looking at the specs it looks like a very nice bike and a good value. It will be interesting to hear what you think after the bugs get worked out. Maybe your “ridiculous” bike will earn a new name.

Your infrastructure looks very good and inclusive. I would be interested to know how the golf carts and e-bikes interact.

There may be the occasional motor like that, but 5:1 is a little more common, in geared hub and mid drive motors. My experience, FWIW.
that’s probably true - I may be mis-remembering but even if not I was thinking of the very light ones, x35 and specialized SL etc, which are definitely much faster spinners that the mainstream.

I am good with the spectrum of bikes and their uses. Some have throttles, most do not. Some are big, some slight. It all depends on the user. Do you want a 120Nm throttle to take two kids up a hill to school or a town bike, or a road bike that feels like a bike, yet enhanced.

Attachments

• foot rest.jpg
    foot rest.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 122
  • mundoa.jpeg
    mundoa.jpeg
    512.2 KB · Views: 122
  • TrekStep2.JPG
    TrekStep2.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 121
  • TrekStep4.JPG
    TrekStep4.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 126
  • BikePack2.JPG
    BikePack2.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 124
  • BodaXMe.JPG
    BodaXMe.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 116
  • ComforTrike2.JPG
    ComforTrike2.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 120
  • CruseFat7.JPG
    CruseFat7.JPG
    408.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Gateway.JPG
    Gateway.JPG
    935.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Kona2.JPG
    Kona2.JPG
    326.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Pick Up5 Mundo.JPG
    Pick Up5 Mundo.JPG
    409 KB · Views: 126
  • R181.JPG
    R181.JPG
    720.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Vida2.JPG
    Vida2.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 123
I am good with the spectrum of bikes and their uses. Some have throttles, most do not. Some are big, some slight. It all depends on the user. Do you want a 120Nm throttle to take two kids up a hill to school or a town bike, or a road bike that feels like a bike, yet enhanced.
You are an artist. I also fully agree with your post.

Picasso’s Bull Head sculpture.
36C84C66-09D7-41E2-841C-C96682DB7A0D.jpeg

Lets say your ebike goes 20mph pedaling.
And goes 20mph with the throttle.
And you have NO health issues.

Is it okay to ride the the cycleways with both pedaling and throttle
if you are not an idiot?
This is my biggest problem with the "get off the cycleways" folks. Something I said earlier.

1661093718237.png
See this tubby b***h? That's me 12 years and 100 pounds ago. And on that crappy 3 speed internal gear hub cruiser I could easily do 18mph at a comfortable cadence, and 22 if I pushed hard. I regularly hit well over 35 going downhill.

Does that mean I shouldn't have been allowed on multi-use bike paths? At which point, what the blue blazes cyclists are those paths even for? Again, pro cyclists can hit 40+, does that mean they shouldn't be allowed on those paths because they have strong legs?

This entire "15mph" and 'the throttle is evil and shouldn't be allowed" is pointless, arbitrary, and utter huffing gibberish. Especially the dumbass "if the bike even has one" idiocy. This whole "level" system and the arbitrary "it has a throttle" trash making less sense than the dumbass "assault weapon" term.

For those unaware, the "legal' US definition of an "assault weapon" as per the defunct ban had nothing to do with barrel length, mechanism of action, round fired, or magazine capacity. It was based on the furniture -- grips, stocks, rails, flashlights -- hanging off the weapon. When the problem is firearms you ban firearms, not a firearm just because it has a pistol grip and a flashlight. It's basically racist. People are afraid of AR's and their ilk because they're black. It was a bullshit term used by politicians to sucker people who know nothing about guns into thinking something was being done about the problem.

And that's exactly how pointlessly arbitrary the whole "level' classification feels.

Particularly when flat out throttle only my bike is slower than I could go back when I was in good health on a regular crappy three speed. Whaddayagonna do next? Ban everything but single speed bikes? 'cause that's how stupid the "rawrz rawrz teh evul thruttles" gibberish sounds.

I am making one today with disc brakes, comfort bar, road style frame that will be Class 1 or Class 3. The chain guard will be a polished chainring. If you are visiting the interior flats you can manually swap to it and do 28. For the SF Bay mountains and Western Marin/Sonoma hills use the smaller interior ring and at a cadence of 80 steady climb 15% grades at 5 Mph in Class 1 mode.

This one has a throttle. But the ring is 36-t so it will only do 20. It is meant to be a climb monster. These tires can pull a skier. They are 115mm's wide. That is 4.5 inches. The PAS wasn't working. It had water incursion. I replaced the internal controller and most burred part, the torque sensor. PAS still was not working. A head scratcher. The cadence pickup was 1mm off from the magnets. It won't use the torque signal alone. So, if you are stopped at an intersection with your foot on the pedal, it won't launch. You need to be moving the pedals And applying torque. Now it tests perfectly.

Attachments

• FatBikes3.JPG
    FatBikes3.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 99
  • FatBoy10.JPG
    FatBoy10.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 101
  • FatBoy9.JPG
    FatBoy9.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 103
I knew it was legit at first sight. When I was a little kid I was a Picasso fan. We had a book about him showing him in the creative process, living with goats and models, gardens and studios, creating art and living artfully. We were not far from NYC and my mom was an artist so, she would take us to museums and galleries. People in my opinion get confused. They are so used to being in a commodity mindset. Art is a verb, it is the act. An artifact is what remains like a discarded shell or a snake's skin after it molts. This is the second one I am working on today. The bar order didn't go through because of a very nice new clerk, so I will have to wait until mid-week for it. The rest will be ready for that one last component. Thank you @Djangodog! That is the highest complement. Each bike is different because each ridder is unique. The first time I saw a flounder with two eyes on the same side of its head at age six, I declared it a Picasso. He could also capture an essence in minimum. That is very hard to pull off.
1661126918282.jpeg
1661127203696.jpeg
1661127275995.jpeg

Attachments

• R18Disc1.JPG
    R18Disc1.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 99
I knew it was legit at first sight. When I was a little kid I was a Picasso fan. We had a book about him showing him in the creative process, living with goats and models, gardens and studios, creating art and living artfully. We were not far from NYC and my mom was an artist so, she would take us to museums and galleries. People in my opinion get confused. They are so used to being in a commodity mindset. Art is a verb, it is the act. An artifact is what remains like a discarded shell or a snake's skin after it molts. This is the second one I am working on today. The bar order didn't go through because of a very nice new clerk, so I will have to wait until mid-week for it. The rest will be ready for that one last component. Thank you @Djangodog! That is the highest complement. Each bike is different because each ridder is unique. The first time I saw a flounder with two eyes on the same side of its head at age six, I declared it a Picasso. He could also capture an essence in minimum. That is very hard to pull off.
View attachment 132811 View attachment 132812View attachment 132813
Picasso had a Bianchi bicycle in his Vallauris studio and thought of it as “one of the most beautiful and purest sculptures in the history of art.”

Who would disagree.

yep, which is why i said "most" gears on a bike, not all! very few bikes for use on-road have much more than a slightly less than 1:1 ratio, and most don't even get to 1:1.

i find the sensation of pedaling a 32-50 or similar quite odd, to say the least! even uphill! but clearly the right tool for the job of steep unpaved climbs.

Back