No throttle and no way home today... :(

I still haven't figured out the argument against a throttle?
If you like using one, use one and if others don't understand why forget about them and do as you please. Which we all do anyway.

Give ebikes a few years to become ubiquitous and people will care about throttles as much as they care about derailleurs. Prejudice against shifting gears sounds asinine now but 100 years ago they were fiercely hated by cyclists who called them a cheat. This throttle nonsense will melt away just as surely.

This is where I respectfully disagree...
I refer you to post one paragraph one...
What's the disagreement? I have throttles on all builds and find them invaluable. Others don't... Sure not worth knotting one's panties over. :)

What's the disagreement? I have throttles on all builds and find them invaluable. Others don't... Sure not worth knotting one's panties over. :)
I'm definitely not having any bunched underwear over this at all lol... I was merely trying to have a discussion...
Pro's - cons...

What I got so far:
Pro's...
As pointed out in post one.. could get you home or to a safe place with some break downs..
Nice for getting started..
Totally take over in case of any unforseen physical problem....
Don't feel like any exercise but would like to be on a ride with someone who does...

Cons:
Lack of self-control...
Having a throttle can legally limit where you are able to ride whereas not having a throttle may physically limit where you are able to ride.

Last edited:
Having a throttle can legally limit where you are able to ride whereas not having a throttle may physically limit where you are able to ride.

I did add that to one of my statements previously but I will add it to the con-post... Lol my voice command said compost....lol

Maybe this would be a case where someone would have a removable throttle with a plug-in option and just throw it in their bag or in their pocket?..

Other than it blows the class 1 and 3 rules that most people don't care about, there is very little downside that I can think of.

I have no idea of your/your wife's age or degree of fitness, but one very popular argument for having it among the 60+ crowd is that it can be used from a full stop to put the bike in motion - that first few feet while you're collecting your balance. Not that it's impossible to do that without a throttle, but it's darn sure a welcome feature here, especially when faced with an up hill launch or facing a heavily trafficked intersection you'd like to cross quickly.
Ding, ding, ding, Johnny tell Mr Hicks what he has won...

@m@Robertson reminded me of Bob Dylan when he went electric at Newport. Now it is no big deal.
1655842536137.jpeg

I can't get them in a bunch because I don't have any on.

Attachments

• 1655842661320.png
    1655842661320.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 91
This might even help self-control lol..
I think maybe, if you're like a lot of us, you're going to get exercise on a bike ride like it or not. Maybe not right away so much, but eventually. When you get back from a 2 hour ride, you're going to notice it......

I ride because I enjoy it, especially the wind in my face, getting outside. Still, there is little doubt those rides are doing this old fart's body some good....

Well here's my experience!?... Just got back from our first two hour ride and halfway in my left crank started making a popping noise. I got off to discover that the crank could became loose. Of course had a set of tools I could have fixed it on the fly but instead just throttled on home. Could have throttled more ahead but just getting used to the bikes... It came in handy. My wife actually used the assist of the couple hills and even bumped the throttle up a couple hills...
I don't see why anybody would get there underwear in a twist either way..
Kind of like my drag car when I go to the track I tend not to bring very many tools at all. I tend to think I've done a good job preparing for the day and maybe bring a timing light and a wrench to adjust the timing. If it breaks down I just take it home... I'm there to race and have fun not do maintenance...

I just did a brake job on an 84.5 pound HB throttle bike, 38.33Kg. The one I finished converting seconds ago is 20 pounds in front and 22.8 at the rear or 19.41Kg total. It has huge tires with liners and Stan's it also has the rack and MTB kickstand. I ran the wires through frame after chopping off all the connectors.

Side note: A guy saw tourists screaming. They didn't see the sign, Bear Spray Does Not Work Like Mosquito Repellant.
1655858719516.jpeg

Attachments

• TrekStep1.JPG
    TrekStep1.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 82
  • TrekStep2.JPG
    TrekStep2.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 87
  • TrekStep3.JPG
    TrekStep3.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Sorry about the double replied? I don't know what happened there...
I guess my point goes back to my wife who has only once or twice just tapped her throttle to see what it's like but for the most part doesn't use it... Again though we've only had our bikes a week or two... Today we'll go on hopefully a much longer ride and see if she uses her assist or not or throttle or not... Again it leaves all options open for her... Me.. I'll probably be on the throttle most of the time as that's what I bought it for lol.. but when I see other bikers on the path I plan to slow down and go through the motions of peddling is not to terrorize and/or raise suspicion... But I may even use the pedals only with the heck... I could accidentally get some exercise when normally I wouldn't have...
Unless you have a physical limitation that restricts your ability to get the exercise, I hope you’re not serious. Otherwise, embrace the exercise! You’ll quickly begin to enjoy it! 😊

OTOH, my wife’s bike has a throttle, and I have to admit, it’s a blast to rip around on it with zero effort. 😂 So, you do you!

This thread hurts my head.
Those that don't use/understand the use for a throttle.... Eat me.
Those that are pissing in the wind to explain the benefits... Time to change your clothes and approach.
That's right! @Gionnirocket is back and he's as big a dick as ever 🙃
Grads? Oh, wait, wrong forum. 😂

Well here's my experience!?... Just got back from our first two hour ride and halfway in my left crank started making a popping noise. I got off to discover that the crank could became loose. Of course had a set of tools I could have fixed it on the fly but instead just throttled on home. Could have throttled more ahead but just getting used to the bikes... It came in handy. My wife actually used the assist of the couple hills and even bumped the throttle up a couple hills...
I don't see why anybody would get there underwear in a twist either way..
Kind of like my drag car when I go to the track I tend not to bring very many tools at all. I tend to think I've done a good job preparing for the day and maybe bring a timing light and a wrench to adjust the timing. If it breaks down I just take it home... I'm there to race and have fun not do maintenance...
I carry enough tools to prevent me from becoming stranded and ruining the fun. A multi tool, spare tube, patch kit, spare chain link and CO2 inflator all fit under my saddle and weigh very little. Our bikes are very well maintained, but that doesn’t mean that a puncture or other issues can’t happen. I have also used my tools to help out other cyclists. I am 66 now and have been a lifelong cyclist including many solo centuries, and so far, I have never failed to get home under my own power. “Always be prepared” is more than a scout’s motto.

My vehicle is a 2018 Honda CR-V. It is very dependable, well maintained, but it has a jack, tire iron and spare tire along with a small tool kit and a first aid kit, just in case I need it. I assume the dragster is trailered, meaning that you are not stranded if there is an issue. A roadside breakdown is completely different and there are many situations where a throttle will not get you home. If you are low on juice, that throttle won’t be of much use either, (Nothing against a throttle. I just feel that it is not a fail safe against getting stranded).

You don’t want to be stranded out here. We still have lots of places where you have no cell coverage either, so a little self reliance goes a long way.

D5D1B8A9-F8D4-4F5D-8443-7CA0C68276CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Ding, ding, ding, Johnny tell Mr Hicks what he has won...
The other day I used my horn to warn a pedestrian (standing in the middle of the BIKE PATH) that I was coming. He looked up, stood his ground and as I was passing, fainted a punch ! Can you say jerk ? I gave him the finger!
Well he saw that I was in high gear so he tried to rush me and start a fight. Not wanting to have my bike damaged I hit the throttle and sped just far enough ahead of him and laughed at him. That was enough for him to keep trying to catch me...so I added a little more throttle and laughed again. Everyone around him was wondering what the hell hes was so bent out of shape for.
Moral of the story, if I didn't have a throttle I would most likely be repairing my bike today for warning the guy!
Oh and possibly in jail for hurting him !

Last edited:
Back