No throttle and no way home today... :(

ringing the bell also does not give you the right of way.
Never said it did... but I'm well aware of the enthusiast's mindset
Voice much more friendly. Gaurantee you will notice my "on your left" well before the ding of a bell. Or is it the ice cream truck?
As stated above a bell always gets a smile so you shouting at someone to guarantee being heard I think not as friendly. I suggest that you give it a try.
I've yet to have anyone ask me for or look disappointed when I didn't have ice-cream in tow

A LITTLE different approach personally. If the width of the path allows passing at a safe distance from the person being passed, and they don't seem to be wandering from side to side aimlessly, I say enjoy the peace, give them a wide berth and pass them with a friendly wave. The wife disagrees, saying everyone deserves the warning to avoid being startled (which happens to her easily).

Point being, I reserve the bell, and hollering on your whatever, for last resort situations. If the terrain allows, I'll even go out on the grass to allow a graceful no muss, no fuss pass. If it gets crowded, not going to push it. I'll just get off and walk the bike.... It's probably a nice day anyway if it's that busy....

Bottom line, I don't push any right of way. I'm not in any special hurry, and have no more right to be there than anyone else does.
I concur and do the same sometimes.. But your wife has a point in that the elderly can be startled even with bikes passing every few minutes

I began a new thread called:

Horn, Bell or Voice, how to warn others of your presence and intentions​

This may allow this thread to revert back to the intended topic.

Personally dislike bells, ringing the bell also does not give you the right of way.

Voice much more friendly. Gaurantee you will notice my "on your left" well before the ding of a bell. Or is it the ice cream truck?
I just carry a sawed off shotgun ! If it doesn't get their attention, it will clear the way !
Then I would drag their lifeless corpses down the prim rose path !

Last edited:
Some cargo guy like @m@Robertson would love these bullet prof tires. You don't want a blowout on a loaded cargo bike at speed. I still never found out when he makes those deposits.
I use Pickups on my latest bike build. They are fantastic if what you are after is fast-rolling, bulletproof and don't care about weight (thats me!). On my cargo bikes, I use
- Bullitt: Belted Super Moto X (front) and Super Marathon Plus Tour (rear) w/ thornproof tubes and FlatOut. Tannus fits only on the front.
- Envoy: 2.8" Vee Speedsters w/Tuffy, oversized tubes and FlatOut
- Big Fat Dummy: Vee Snowshoes, tubeless with FlatOut

The Bullitt is the one getting the mileage these days and its unstoppable. The Envoy is using kaka tires I have beefed up some. Maybe going to Pickups when the Speedsters wear out. But I REALLY like the comfort that comes from those 2.8" balloons on that otherwise fixed frame. The tubeless Snowshoes are surprisingly dependable with the grey goo inside.

I just carry a sawed off shotgun ! If it doesn't get their attention, it will clear the way !
Finally, a picture of your bike!!!! (I know that that’s not a shotgun).

7CEE5CB7-A78B-4457-9EEA-9012A77D58F1.jpeg

I used to think bicycle bells were ridiculous, too, but the high sound pierces further than a voice. My husband and I use it to give a heads-up to each other about a car approaching from behind, in case the other person is paying attn to something else. And I don't think just sidling past walkers is a good idea, since they may be walking a dog who veers off across your path to service some spot that needs peeing on. Or you may just startle them unnecessarily.

It is funny, allegorical to the Allegory of the Cave, because I used the IGNORE button weeks ago I can't see (read) directly what is going on, just the shadows. :p I think it is more entertaining this way. @m@Robertson, I just rode those Pick Up cargo tires. Nice. This one is 750. I am going to let a young family try it for two days for free to see how they like it. As a kid when we would have a litter of puppies. My dad taught me to put one in someone's hands and say take it home to see how the kids like it for a couple of days.
1656370855122.jpeg

Attachments

• Pick Up4 Mundo.JPG
    Pick Up4 Mundo.JPG
    456.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Pick Up5 Mundo.JPG
    Pick Up5 Mundo.JPG
    409 KB · Views: 90
  • Pick Up Mundo6.JPG
    Pick Up Mundo6.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 91
This sounds like a poodle's squeaky toy. Its sole purpose is when I pass people in spany-X on climbs. Dogs on paths wag when they hear it.
1656371558014.jpeg

I began a new thread called:

Horn, Bell or Voice, how to warn others of your presence and intentions​

This may allow this thread to revert back to the intended topic.
I occasionally use the bell, but mostly say "On your left," and I have never had a problem. I usually say "Thank you" as I pass and once in a while someone answers, "Thanks for the warning." I pass cautiously, in case someone doesn't hear or wobbles on the path. I really don't want to hurt anybody, nor do I want to get hurt. I get enough of that when I fall off the bike.

It is funny, allegorical to the Allegory of the Cave, because I used the IGNORE button weeks ago I can't see (read) directly what is going on, just the shadows. :p I think it is more entertaining this way. @m@Robertson, I just rode those Pick Up cargo tires. Nice. This one is 750. I am going to let a young family try it for two days for free to see how they like it. As a kid when we would have a litter of puppies. My dad taught me to put one in someone's hands and say take it home to see how the kids like it for a couple of days.
Someone somewhere owes you some commission.

So, I was looking at the Envoy and thinking on what I said and what the next tire could be - especially since I like the big poofy 2.8's. That got me to thinking the 2.8's are there only because of the truck ride that is that bike with no suspension and skinny tires. Then I took back up the perennial mulling over whether I want to put on a suspension fork. So I'm looking for forking forks and decide its going to be a basic Rockshox Recon SoloAir. For sure. No a Manitou Markhour. Thats the one. Unless its a Judy. Those are only an extra eighty bucks over the Manitou. And crap if I am doing that what about the stock crappy old headset. Only another $40 for a nice Cane Creek 40. And no matter what I gotta have a crown race. Steel of course. $12.99.

s*it this forum is expensive.

Someone somewhere owes you some commission.

So, I was looking at the Envoy and thinking on what I said and what the next tire could be - especially since I like the big poofy 2.8's. That got me to thinking the 2.8's are there only because of the truck ride that is that bike with no suspension and skinny tires. Then I took back up the perennial mulling over whether I want to put on a suspension fork. So I'm looking for forking forks and decide its going to be a basic Rockshox Recon SoloAir. For sure. No a Manitou Markhour. Thats the one. Unless its a Judy. Those are only an extra eighty bucks over the Manitou. And crap if I am doing that what about the stock crappy old headset. Only another $40 for a nice Cane Creek 40. And no matter what I gotta have a crown race. Steel of course. $12.99.

s*it this forum is expensive.
Crane Creek is real, its on the path to N. Sonoma Mtn. Regional Park. Beautiful ride. With the drop through redwoods to Glen Ellen and Jack London State Park with five micro-climates up the Valley of the Moon. Check delivery times and prices of White Industries offerings, its three blocks from my workshop. Their headsets are jewelry. That said, I am a new bearings with repack kind of guy.
1656385361509.png

1656385119455.jpeg

Crane Creek is real, its on the path to N. Sonoma Mtn. Regional Park. Beautiful ride. With the drop through redwoods to Glen Ellen and Jack London State Park with five micro-climates up the Valley of the Moon. Check delivery times and prices of White Industries offerings, its three blocks from my workshop. Their headsets are jewelry. That said, I am a new bearings with repack kind of guy.
View attachment 127416
View attachment 127415
almost the same thing can be said of the White freewheels. Couple them to a Cyclone up front and you have a bulletproof setup.

I took my new ebike to work today as it was just a few miles.. It was the first time I was without my wife and could open it up.. with some pedal assist I was going 30+...
That "assist" got the old ticker movin...
I'll be darned if I didn't inadvertently get exercise...
I think one of the funniest parts was seeing drivers next to me looking over at me and looking down at their speedometer and looking back over at me?????...

For all you guys that dont like throttles i am kicking myself today for not getting the bike shop to go ahead and swap the controller and wiring on the tern bike so it had throttle

wanted to try out some miles on the new igh and 10 miles from home felt the right hand pedal acting funny, it is halfway backed out and probably chewed up the pedal arm...

shop probably had the pedal arm off for the igh?? but not sure why the pedal would have been removed??? Either way because there was no throttle on the bike i could not get home

no uber drivers around at all, was about to call AAA but some good samaritans with a pickup stopped and asked if i needed help , they gave me a ride home

the wiring harness is slightly too big so will have to be cut/spliced to change it out , that is the only reason the it was not changed already
need to get started on that project asap
Don't think I posted this here so. The other week some jerk acted like he was going to punch me as I rode past.

I fliped him the bird and because he could tell I was in high gear and moving slowly , he thought he could catch me.
Well , he could have caught me, if I didn't have a throttle. As it was I was able to stay well ahead of him, I actually slowed down and he again tried to catch me. I laughed and sped away.
Moral of the story , I will never get an ebike without a throttle.
There are just too many jerks out there !

Back