No Power

Jim britt

Region
USA
I have the first generation xp,I keep getting an E-10 error code and then the bike shuts down for 15- 20 minutes I called the company ad they told me to unplug and plug back in the connectors looking for a change in the error code I did all that,same result, then I was told to check controller for any loose connection, did that,same result, I am waiting for company to get back to me,has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it, Thank you for any feedback as I know their are some smart people on this site,Thanks again!

Do the connectors thing again, with the dielectric grease suggested in the other thread? The idea is that there may be an invisible bit of patina on a connector somewhere that needs to be cleaned off. Maybe even brush male connections with dielectric grease on a toothbrush. You want to do this to every connector you can find, including, especially the battery contacts. Plugging things in 2 or three times may help scrape off that patina. The grease is good ,maintenance anyway and will help in wet weather. You can get a small tube of dielectric grease at just about any hardware store.

This is essentially a free, quick, easy, and good thing to do as a first step in troubleshooting your issue.

The idea of just unplugging and plugging the connectors is okay as far as it goes, but adding dielectric grease to the process is like a adding toothpaste to the brush when you brush your teeth. Only better.

TT

What is error 10 and what does your multimeter tell you?

What is error 10 and what does your multimeter tell you?
Error 10 is a communication receive error. The original poster is not using a meter that would not help with a communication error anyway since it would be a binary signal. There is no specific (receive from) indication but I would suspect it would be the cable connection between the display and controller since those are the only two components that communicate between each other. If it's not the connection, then I would suspect an issue with the controller preventing communication to the display. The display/processor is mostly digital and tends to be more reliable where as the controller has high voltage and digital electronics making it a bit less reliable.

Error 10 is a communication receive error. The original poster is not using a meter that would not help with a communication error anyway since it would be a binary signal. There is no specific (receive from) indication but I would suspect it would be the cable connection between the display and controller since those are the only two components that communicate between each other. If it's not the connection, then I would suspect an issue with the controller preventing communication to the display. The display/processor is mostly digital and tends to be more reliable where as the controller has high voltage and digital electronics making it a bit less reliable.
Thanks, I'm not familiar with the bike discussed. We saw error 10 in BBSxx systems that were not connection errors. but were controller errors. I had a few that were pinched harnesses and some bent pins in connectors. Uswrs didn't pay attention to or realize there are arrows to match on connectors.. But most often controllers. And no power from the controller.

Boeshield T9 or ACF50 for me.
Both good products and probably easier to use if you have some. They aren't as common at a lot of local hardware stores as dielectric grease.

For what it's worth, I had the same problem as Jim's with my Rad Rover. I think the error code was E-30, but don't quote me on that. The symptoms were identical. I used dielectric grease (I didn't have Boeshield T9 or ACF50 at the time) and the problem went away and hasn't recurred in over two years.

All that said, the problem could be something else, for sure. But like I said, this is a quick, easy thing to try before going for tougher, more expensive measures.

I learned to do the simple stuff first a long, long time ago when I replaced the alternator on my truck. Still wouldn't charge. Cleaned the ground on the frame side of the negative battery cable, and voila! Problem solved at no cost, except a new alternator that I couldn't return.

TT

Back