"No fair." In so many ways!

No kidding. At 25yo, ripping along like Andretti in the final lap without much exhaustion at all. Now, sluggish and slow on a dino-bike with tired legs after about the 1st lap. I guess we are all really getting up there. God Bless E-bikes to rekindle our youth. Ride safe and hello fun! :p
I heard from the local bike store that they sold ebikes to two 80 year olds last year who finally couldn't get up to Ward under their own pedal power. That's a nearly 4,000 foot climb, with the last 1.5 mile at 8-10%. Rekindled their youth, I'm sure!

In an older woman, and I’ve only had my bike for about a week (it’s a Raleigh Lore) But so far all I’ve heard is “Cool bike, I’ve been thinking about getting one of those, where did you get it?”
And I didn’t expect this, but it’s made me a safer rider on the bike path. My balance is better, and Im not wobbly. I’m not worried about losing my momentum- if I have to come to a dead stop, so what? It’s easy enough to get going again. The bike just feels more solid. It turns better, balances better, and there’s no frame flex at speed.

it’s made me a safer rider on the bike path. My balance is better, and Im not wobbly. I’m not worried about losing my momentum- if I have to come to a dead stop, so what?

That's GREAT! :) I'm glad you are having so much fun and feel safe and happy. Super happy for you. And, the Raleigh Lore is a cool looking ride, too!!! Is it a good fit for you? Sometimes it's challenging for women to find a bike that's a good fit depending on how tall we are. :)

That's GREAT! :) I'm glad you are having so much fun and feel safe and happy. Super happy for you. And, the Raleigh Lore is a cool looking ride, too!!! Is it a good fit for you? Sometimes it's challenging for women to find a bike that's a good fit depending on how tall we are. :)
I actually had it modified. I went to Propel Electric Bikes in Long Beach because I’d read that the owner, Chris, had back issues. He knew exactly what I needed, and basically rebuilt the stem, seat, and handlebars just for me. Here’s a picture of the Iron Horse. Also, the Raleigh comes in a small frame.

Attachments

• 904DE8DA-4FD4-4F88-A8F1-0991F15CA5C8.jpeg
    904DE8DA-4FD4-4F88-A8F1-0991F15CA5C8.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 439
Today I was cycling around my town, for exercise, on a route where many cyclists ride and train. I passed a group of three, and one guy hollered at me, "No fair."

As I pedaled onward, I thought. Yep, no fair.

No fair that I don't have your knees, so can't ride a regular bike on this hilly route or in my hilly town.
No fair that some people don't have the balance to ride an ebike.
No fair that some people have physical disabilities that prevent them from riding an ebike.
No fair that some people are too sick or in too much pain to ride an ebike.
No fair that many can't afford an ebike.

Me passing a conventional cyclist? Nope there's nothing "no fair" about that, since I'm not competing with them. I'm out, enjoying the beautiful day, the breeze in my face, the gorgeous scenery, and the opportunity to get great exercise and have a great time. What's "no fair" is that everyone can't share the beautiful experience of cycling.
I've had my Right knee replaced Decades ago ... Ignore them Mom , some people have the Same IQ as their Wheel size ! ??

Did my time when i was 16, rode a 10 speed from New Glasgow N.S. to Cavendish beach P.E.I., looooong trip to the next province. I'm 56 now and you can taunt me all you want on my E-Bike, i did my time while you where 2 generations from entering this world :)

My father, at the age of 80, toured Europe on his "10 speed" for a whole year, camping and staying in people's homes. He had also just had both hips replaced. That's the high water mark for me. I have ten years to go. So far no hip replacement in my future. Mom would forward the $750 from his monthly, Social Security check to his latest destination. That, his wit and the generosity of others was all he survived on. At one point his bike was stolen and the local community banded together to buy him a new one. He said his mission was to spread the word of the Peace movement, of which he was and active participant.

My father, at the age of 80, toured Europe on his "10 speed" for a whole year, camping and staying in people's homes. He had also just had both hips replaced. That's the high water mark for me. I have ten years to go. So far no hip replacement in my future. Mom would forward the $750 from his monthly, Social Security check to his latest destination. That, his wit and the generosity of others was all he survived on. At one point his bike was stolen and the local community banded together to buy him a new one. He said his mission was to spread the word of the Peace movement, of which he was and active participant.
Ive read this amazing book called Old Man On A Bicycle about a 75 year old who peddled across the country by himself on a touring bike. He had to stop the trip and complete it later because he was hit from behind by a car.
Someone could just about do the ride with an e bike and a couple of spare batteries if they could charge them every night. Anyway it’s an amazing book.

I have mixed feelings about this. I have commuted and have been a recreational rider since my second year of college. In the past year to year and a half have been car-lite riding 100-150 miles a week, but also taking public transport and occasionally renting and ubering frequently as well.

In the past year, I've seen significantly higher e-bike ridership on the local multi use trails. Far too often, these riders are riding at a much higher speed than is safe. Many are using throttle only. I'd say the typical e-bike rider is riding right at around the 20 mph throttle limit. Those who are renting e-bikes tend to ride much slower, as identified by the stickers and rental bags. They've clearly been advised to ride at slower speeds. The owners of bikes on the other hand, are riding as fast as they can.

This is a dangerous situation as many pedestrians are walking as slowly as 2 mph, as many have children and/or pets accompanying them. These e-bike riders are not riding with safety in mind. From what I can tell, they are riding as fast as their bikes will allow.

I'm shopping for an e-bike but currently ride one of several standard bicycles. I sometimes use a speedometer/computer and without a rack/panniers, I'm typically riding 16-18 mph on flat terrain with modest effort. With a full load of 2 panniers full of groceries, I'm probably riding at 12-14 mph.

So far, in our area, I see few complaints about e-bikes. However, I also use the trails for walking. And to be honest, I no longer feel comfortable or safe as a pedestrian. Both standard bicycle riders, as well as e-bike riders, are riding at far higher speeds than is safe. I've had several close brushes with cyclists as a pedestrian and I don't walk these trails very often.

My sense as a cyclist is that pedestrians are in fact afraid of bicycles. We are traveling at much higher speeds than they are. In all fairness to cyclists, I've seen many large groups of walkers who totally disregard 'rules of the road' totally blocking both directions of the trail, refusing to move right, etc.

Another issue is population growth. The trails/paths are far more crowded than I have ever seen them. It's impossible to ride during peak hours of use. In effect, I can only ride before 10 AM and after 5 PM.

As far as the various injuries people are reporting: don't give up! I've been through multiple rounds of physical therapy and under competent supervision, you can regain your old powers! Also, keep in mind that rest is often powerfully curative. This winter has forced this realization upon me for sure.

The bottom line is that each group of trail and path users have a legitimate gripe about every other group. Sadly, none of the user groups use the paths/trails with safety in mind. It's a barely controlled free for all with little consideration for other users.

For any of you who have had joint injuries and/or pain, don't give up. I went through 2.5 months of physical therapy for my knees two years ago. I can now ride 30-40 miles at a time on a standard bicycle comfortably. I can go on two hour walks comfortably. It can be done.

I have mixed feelings about this. I have commuted and have been a recreational rider since my second year of college. In the past year to year and a half have been car-lite riding 100-150 miles a week, but also taking public transport and occasionally renting and ubering frequently as well.

In the past year, I've seen significantly higher e-bike ridership on the local multi use trails. Far too often, these riders are riding at a much higher speed than is safe. Many are using throttle only. I'd say the typical e-bike rider is riding right at around the 20 mph throttle limit. Those who are renting e-bikes tend to ride much slower, as identified by the stickers and rental bags. They've clearly been advised to ride at slower speeds. The owners of bikes on the other hand, are riding as fast as they can.

This is a dangerous situation as many pedestrians are walking as slowly as 2 mph, as many have children and/or pets accompanying them. These e-bike riders are not riding with safety in mind. From what I can tell, they are riding as fast as their bikes will allow.

I'm shopping for an e-bike but currently ride one of several standard bicycles. I sometimes use a speedometer/computer and without a rack/panniers, I'm typically riding 16-18 mph on flat terrain with modest effort. With a full load of 2 panniers full of groceries, I'm probably riding at 12-14 mph.

So far, in our area, I see few complaints about e-bikes. However, I also use the trails for walking. And to be honest, I no longer feel comfortable or safe as a pedestrian. Both standard bicycle riders, as well as e-bike riders, are riding at far higher speeds than is safe. I've had several close brushes with cyclists as a pedestrian and I don't walk these trails very often.

My sense as a cyclist is that pedestrians are in fact afraid of bicycles. We are traveling at much higher speeds than they are. In all fairness to cyclists, I've seen many large groups of walkers who totally disregard 'rules of the road' totally blocking both directions of the trail, refusing to move right, etc.

Another issue is population growth. The trails/paths are far more crowded than I have ever seen them. It's impossible to ride during peak hours of use. In effect, I can only ride before 10 AM and after 5 PM.

As far as the various injuries people are reporting: don't give up! I've been through multiple rounds of physical therapy and under competent supervision, you can regain your old powers! Also, keep in mind that rest is often powerfully curative. This winter has forced this realization upon me for sure.

The bottom line is that each group of trail and path users have a legitimate gripe about every other group. Sadly, none of the user groups use the paths/trails with safety in mind. It's a barely controlled free for all with little consideration for other users.

Interesting comments, but there are a few points I must disagree with.

First of all, ebikes' speed is limited by the ebike controller to the maximum they're allowed by law. In other words, complaining about ebikes going at their maximum speed is pointless because they're not breaking the law. And that 20 mph speed was chosen by lawmakers because it doesn't exceed the maximum speed of muscle powered cyclists. I've been passed on bike lanes by conventional cyclists while I'm using my throttle and limited to 20 mph. Cyclists exceed 20 mph quite often in my experience, and nobody's complaining about their speed. But there's a false stereotype about ebikes that insists that they are somehow more dangerous than a standard bicycle travelling at the same 20 mph speed.

Secondly, ebike riders are not the only ones guilty of inconsiderate behaviour towards pedestrians and other cyclists. However, we see more complaints about us in the news, and politicians respond by changing laws to "curb" ebike riders. This double standard puts ebike riders in direct jeopardy. I've had some pretty frightening experiences on the road caused by drivers who have been brainwashed by the news media and who think it's ok to run us off the road, cut us off, tailgate us with horns blasting, or push us down the road with their front bumpers, as happened to me once. If you think ebike riders are the worst, try walking on a sidewalk someday and being buzzed over and over by cyclists riding at top speed with neither hand on the handlebars and their nose buried in a phone. In my area I often see more conventional cyclists on the sidewalks than pedestrians. I've been hit from behind and hospitalized by a reckless sidewalk cyclist who just hopped back on to their bike and took off. Ebike riders are no more guilty than conventional cyclists when it comes to bad behaviour. In 15 years living in my neighbourhood I've seen exactly three ebikes on sidewalks, compared to thousands of conventional cyclists.

Another factor that contributes to problems with ebikers on trails is the jumble of conflicting laws governing who can use the trails and bike lanes, and how fast they can go. I live near Toronto on the border of four different municipalities. Each has its own laws governing ebikes. Any time I'm going outside of my municipality, I have to study the laws of those I will be passing through, first. It's very common for ebikers to be ticketed and have their ebikes impounded because they crossed a municipal boundary and the rules changed, now they're no longer allowed to be on the bike path/lane they've been using legally for miles before they crossed that invisible line. The laws are so confusing even cops get them wrong, resulting in more inappropriate action against ebikers. Many people don't think to look up the local rules and end up riding too fast in an inappropriate area full of pedestrians. Governments don't bother putting up signs to tell ebikers what the rules are. Most governments provide zero public education about bicycles and ebikes in the first place. So ebikers end up where they aren't allowed, or riding faster than appropriate for the situation.

Did my time when i was 16, rode a 10 speed from New Glasgow N.S. to Cavendish beach P.E.I., looooong trip to the next province. I'm 56 now and you can taunt me all you want on my E-Bike, i did my time while you where 2 generations from entering this world :)
Interesting comments, but there are a few points I must disagree with.

First of all, ebikes' speed is limited by the ebike controller to the maximum they're allowed by law. In other words, complaining about ebikes going at their maximum speed is pointless because they're not breaking the law. And that 20 mph speed was chosen by lawmakers because it doesn't exceed the maximum speed of muscle powered cyclists. I've been passed on bike lanes by conventional cyclists while I'm using my throttle and limited to 20 mph. Cyclists exceed 20 mph quite often in my experience, and nobody's complaining about their speed. But there's a false stereotype about ebikes that insists that they are somehow more dangerous than a standard bicycle travelling at the same 20 mph speed.

Secondly, ebike riders are not the only ones guilty of inconsiderate behaviour towards pedestrians and other cyclists. However, we see more complaints about us in the news, and politicians respond by changing laws to "curb" ebike riders. This double standard puts ebike riders in direct jeopardy. I've had some pretty frightening experiences on the road caused by drivers who have been brainwashed by the news media and who think it's ok to run us off the road, cut us off, tailgate us with horns blasting, or push us down the road with their front bumpers, as happened to me once. If you think ebike riders are the worst, try walking on a sidewalk someday and being buzzed over and over by cyclists riding at top speed with neither hand on the handlebars and their nose buried in a phone. In my area I often see more conventional cyclists on the sidewalks than pedestrians. I've been hit from behind and hospitalized by a reckless sidewalk cyclist who just hopped back on to their bike and took off. Ebike riders are no more guilty than conventional cyclists when it comes to bad behaviour. In 15 years living in my neighbourhood I've seen exactly three ebikes on sidewalks, compared to thousands of conventional cyclists.

Another factor that contributes to problems with ebikers on trails is the jumble of conflicting laws governing who can use the trails and bike lanes, and how fast they can go. I live near Toronto on the border of four different municipalities. Each has its own laws governing ebikes. Any time I'm going outside of my municipality, I have to study the laws of those I will be passing through, first. It's very common for ebikers to be ticketed and have their ebikes impounded because they crossed a municipal boundary and the rules changed, now they're no longer allowed to be on the bike path/lane they've been using legally for miles before they crossed that invisible line. The laws are so confusing even cops get them wrong, resulting in more inappropriate action against ebikers. Many people don't think to look up the local rules and end up riding too fast in an inappropriate area full of pedestrians. Governments don't bother putting up signs to tell ebikers what the rules are. Most governments provide zero public education about bicycles and ebikes in the first place. So ebikers end up where they aren't allowed, or riding faster than appropriate for the situation.
I just got back from a bike ride and I WANT A DIesel truck style air horn.. where I live, there are separate pedestrian and bike paths. They’re both very nice. Does this matter to the walkers? No. Why use the walking path when you can plant yourself square in the middle of the bike path with your ear buds on. Bonus points if you have a small, yapping dog and you let it run around off leash.
And of course, since you are blasting music through your earbuds, you can’t hear a bicycle bell, or anything else coming up behind you.
I’m not inconsiderate. I don’t feel entitled to the bike path. I don’t want to blast by- I always pass slowly and give a friendly “thank you”. But if someone can’t hear me, I have no idea if they’re going to move left, right, or not at all.

I just got back from a bike ride and I WANT A DIesel truck style air horn.. where I live, there are separate pedestrian and bike paths. They’re both very nice. Does this matter to the walkers? No. Why use the walking path when you can plant yourself square in the middle of the bike path with your ear buds on. Bonus points if you have a small, yapping dog and you let it run around off leash.
And of course, since you are blasting music through your earbuds, you can’t hear a bicycle bell, or anything else coming up behind you.
I’m not inconsiderate. I don’t feel entitled to the bike path. I don’t want to blast by- I always pass slowly and give a friendly “thank you”. But if someone can’t hear me, I have no idea if they’re going to move left, right, or not at all.

A few days ago I was practicing riding my new ebike on some residential streets. I couldn't believe the number of old people who just wandered out into the street a few feet in front of me, without even looking once. When we were kids we were taught "look both ways before crossing the street" but that message seems to be lost on these old geezers. Very quickly I learned that whenever some codger started walking towards the street, to hit my bell to let them know I was coming. They ignored the bell as well. I'll be ordering one of these Airzound bike horns in a couple of weeks. Other people here recommend them.

This is just my 2 cents here but I'm a little concerned about the direction this thread has taken. The ebike community can NOT afford to adopt an anti pedestrian mentality. If we do, it will backfire and result in more negative ebike regulation. I'm just as annoyed as the rest of us here about the hapless, careless and ignorant attitude of pedestrians. We have to keep in mind however that here in the U.S., in most states, THEY HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY! Whether it be in a crosswalk, sidewalk, multi use path or the shoulder of the road, all vehicles, including bicycles, must yield to someone on foot.

Sure it's annoying to have a clueless, dog walking, earbud wearing pedestrian blocking the bike lane in a careless manner but they have just as much right to be there as bicyclists. The sad fact is they out number us 10 to 1. If we frighten enough of them with loud horns, rude comments or by passing at a high rate of speed, law enforcement and government officials will hear about it and it won't bode well for ebike legislation.

Yes, I have a bell and a loud horn but I resist using them. I'll often dismount and walk my bike around someone especially if the lane or trail is crowded. Most seem to appreciate this. I know this isn't practical for everyone, especially commuters, but if a path is too crowded, I'll ride somewhere else.

This is not meant as a criticism of anyone and I hear your pain. We don't have to like it but unfortunately, it's a fact of life. I hope we can all keep this in mind before acting rashly.

This is just my 2 cents here but I'm a little concerned about the direction this thread has taken. The ebike community can NOT afford to adopt an anti pedestrian mentality. If we do, it will backfire and result in more negative ebike regulation. I'm just as annoyed as the rest of us here about the hapless, careless and ignorant attitude of pedestrians. We have to keep in mind however that here in the U.S., in most states, THEY HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY! Whether it be in a crosswalk, sidewalk, multi use path or the shoulder of the road, all vehicles, including bicycles, must yield to someone on foot.

Sure it's annoying to have a clueless, dog walking, earbud wearing pedestrian blocking the bike lane in a careless manner but they have just as much right to be there as bicyclists. The sad fact is they out number us 10 to 1. If we frighten enough of them with loud horns, rude comments or by passing at a high rate of speed, law enforcement and government officials will hear about it and it won't bode well for ebike legislation.

Yes, I have a bell and a loud horn but I resist using them. I'll often dismount and walk my bike around someone especially if the lane or trail is crowded. Most seem to appreciate this. I know this isn't practical for everyone, especially commuters, but if a path is too crowded, I'll ride somewhere else.

This is not meant as a criticism of anyone and I hear your pain. We don't have to like it but unfortunately, it's a fact of life. I hope we can all keep this in mind before acting rashly.
We would all do well to heed these wise words.

I think we're living in a time of huge change in (urban) transportation patterns, with dockless e-scooters and owned/dockless e-bikes proliferating and both users and regulators struggling to catch up. Anything we can do to ease the transition - i.e., trying to be encouraging vs. judgmental - as society works itself away from gasoline I see as positive.

Recent reports in Denver tell of ca 1300 dockless scooters being dumped in the city area last May. They were used 800,000 times by end of Dec and most rides were around a mile. Most users say they would have driven otherwise, so it seems like a net gain to me. Lots of convenience and last-mile users.

Denver, following state law, originally classified the scooters as toys and restricted them to sidewalks. Huge outcry, so Denver said get in the bike lanes and the state is following suit. I think the intro of dockless scooters/bikes is going to drive governmental action that could end up needlessly restricting our bikes, and I think our behavior as users matters as much in how that plays out as anything. I tend to be more in-your-face than diplomatic but I'm going to make conscious efforts to be nicer - and more involved politically!

I understand the concerns raised re bike horns and pedestrians, but I strongly disagree with the tone. I don't like being called "anti-pedestrian" because I discuss the habits of a minority of pedestrians who endanger themselves by wandering into the street in front of my vehicle without looking, and nearly cause accidents. I object to the straw man accusation that I and others think that pedestrians and other modes of transport don't deserve or shouldn't have the right to use shared infrastructure. I also object to the accusation that having or using a loud bike horn is "anti-pedestrian". Finally, I find being lectured on laws re pedestrians having right of way to be patronizing, since it's the norm in most jurisdictions. It's also another straw man, since nobody here has suggested that pedestrians don't or shouldn't have the right of way. If you're going to express concerns about what other people post, try and stick to what they actually posted instead of attacking them for your (mis)interpretation of their posts.

I happen to be a pedestrian as well. I walk miles every week just to run errands. In the past 5 years I've been hit from behind by a sidewalk cyclist and I've been struck by an SUV turning into the crosswalk I was using while the driver was on a phone. Neither of them used a bell or horn to warn me they were there. So I have a view of this issue from both sides.

Wanting or needing a loud horn is not "anti-pedestrian". If anything it's the opposite, intended to prevent accidents and injuries. Are car drivers anti-pedestrian because they drive vehicles equipped with loud horns? I'd rather be startled by a bell or horn than be startled by suddenly flying through the air after being hit from behind by a sidewalk cyclist who didn't have or use a bell. Speaking of which, for those who "resist using" their bell or horn when approaching a pedestrian from behind: perhaps if the guy who hit me on the sidewalk had done so, I wouldn't be dealing with chronic back pain and pinched nerves right now. I still have PTSD from the accident, and several years later I still walk on the edge of the sidewalk or the grass, cringing at the thought of another sidewalk cyclist coming up silently and hitting me. I wish they would use their bells or horns! I'd feel a lot safer.

And yes, pedestrians have the right of way in my jurisdiction as well. That is all the more reason that an ebiker or cyclist needs to take responsibility to yield and/or warn pedestrians. Pedestrians are human and they make mistakes. It's just plain fact that some of them behave carelessly or recklessly in traffic. The same goes for drivers, cyclists and ebikers. That doesn't mean I think any of them shouldn't have the right to use the roads.

It also depends where you live. I live in a major city right beside a 10 lane freeway, on a busy 4 lane street, within a mile of an international airport. There's heavy traffic on the streets at all times, and huge planes roaring overhead. So given all of that background noise in my neighbourhood, how can I expect a pedestrian to hear a little bike bell? Especially if they're also wearing earbuds? If I lived in a small town or rural area (like the place I grew up) I'd be fine with just a bell because there's a lot less background noise and less traffic.

There are responsible and irresponsible ways to use a loud bike horn. Using it to warn pedestrians who otherwise won't hear you does not mean you don't think they have a right to be there. Riding up behind them and blasting your horn until they wet themselves is obviously unacceptable. Using them in a quiet park is less appropriate than using them in noisy traffic. Ideally an ebiker should use a bell first, but sometimes there just isn't time. I always use my bell and/or my voice first if I can. That's what I did the other day when the elderly people were wandering into my path, and guess what? Not one reacted. If I hadn't been looking where I was going and giving myself time to stop, I'd have hit at least one of them. In an emergency situation I'd rather startle someone with a horn that I know they will hear, than tinkle a bell and pray.

I find that , unless the pedestrian is buried under his/her earbuds, a nice, clear bell with a pleasant tone is sufficient to get their attention. The clear sound of a nice bell seems to say "please make room for me" as opposed to that of a loud horn which seems to say "get the f*&k out of my way". I do have an electronic horn built into a bluetooth speaker mount on my handlebars. I reserve the loud horn for motor vehicles and do no use it on pedestrians. Under trail circumstances the horn just sounds belligerent and demanding...not a good way to win friends and influence people.

I understand the concerns raised re bike horns and pedestrians, but I strongly disagree with the tone. I don't like being called "anti-pedestrian" because I discuss the habits of a minority of pedestrians who endanger themselves by wandering into the street in front of my vehicle without looking, and nearly cause accidents. I object to the straw man accusation that I and others think that pedestrians and other modes of transport don't deserve or shouldn't have the right to use shared infrastructure. I also object to the accusation that having or using a loud bike horn is "anti-pedestrian". Finally, I find being lectured on laws re pedestrians having right of way to be patronizing, since it's the norm in most jurisdictions. It's also another straw man, since nobody here has suggested that pedestrians don't or shouldn't have the right of way. If you're going to express concerns about what other people post, try and stick to what they actually posted instead of attacking them for your (mis)interpretation of their posts.

I happen to be a pedestrian as well. I walk miles every week just to run errands. In the past 5 years I've been hit from behind by a sidewalk cyclist and I've been struck by an SUV turning into the crosswalk I was using while the driver was on a phone. Neither of them used a bell or horn to warn me they were there. So I have a view of this issue from both sides.

Wanting or needing a loud horn is not "anti-pedestrian". If anything it's the opposite, intended to prevent accidents and injuries. Are car drivers anti-pedestrian because they drive vehicles equipped with loud horns? I'd rather be startled by a bell or horn than be startled by suddenly flying through the air after being hit from behind by a sidewalk cyclist who didn't have or use a bell. Speaking of which, for those who "resist using" their bell or horn when approaching a pedestrian from behind: perhaps if the guy who hit me on the sidewalk had done so, I wouldn't be dealing with chronic back pain and pinched nerves right now. I still have PTSD from the accident, and several years later I still walk on the edge of the sidewalk or the grass, cringing at the thought of another sidewalk cyclist coming up silently and hitting me. I wish they would use their bells or horns! I'd feel a lot safer.

And yes, pedestrians have the right of way in my jurisdiction as well. That is all the more reason that an ebiker or cyclist needs to take responsibility to yield and/or warn pedestrians. Pedestrians are human and they make mistakes. It's just plain fact that some of them behave carelessly or recklessly in traffic. The same goes for drivers, cyclists and ebikers. That doesn't mean I think any of them shouldn't have the right to use the roads.

It also depends where you live. I live in a major city right beside a 10 lane freeway, on a busy 4 lane street, within a mile of an international airport. There's heavy traffic on the streets at all times, and huge planes roaring overhead. So given all of that background noise in my neighbourhood, how can I expect a pedestrian to hear a little bike bell? Especially if they're also wearing earbuds? If I lived in a small town or rural area (like the place I grew up) I'd be fine with just a bell because there's a lot less background noise and less traffic.

There are responsible and irresponsible ways to use a loud bike horn. Using it to warn pedestrians who otherwise won't hear you does not mean you don't think they have a right to be there. Riding up behind them and blasting your horn until they wet themselves is obviously unacceptable. Using them in a quiet park is less appropriate than using them in noisy traffic. Ideally an ebiker should use a bell first, but sometimes there just isn't time. I always use my bell and/or my voice first if I can. That's what I did the other day when the elderly people were wandering into my path, and guess what? Not one reacted. If I hadn't been looking where I was going and giving myself time to stop, I'd have hit at least one of them. In an emergency situation I'd rather startle someone with a horn that I know they will hear, than tinkle a bell and pray.

@ Credible Hulk. My post was not directed at, nor intended to offend, you or anyone else. If I have done so, I apologize. I'm sorry you interpreted it the way you did. I accused no one of being anti pedestrian, I simply don't want pedestrians to become anti ebike.

I didn't say not to use a horn. Certainly there are situations where they are appropriate and necessary. I simply use mine sparingly. I too walk the trails I ride and have been startled by unnecessarily loud warnings & rude comments from cyclists and runners. Perhaps the warning prevented an injury but I was still offended by the way it was done. Yielding the right of way is the safest and most courteous approach.

Back