Newbie looking for an Ebike

Lord Polymath

Hello everyone! I am new to the world of ebikes. There are a ton of brands and models and a lot to learn. The first thing I learned is that they are very expensive. I currently have a 2011 Trek Wahoo, for which I paid around $350 for I believe, and thought it was expensive at the time. :) Down the rabbit hole that is the ebike world and here I am.
About me and what I'm looking for: I'm a 41 year old male, 5'8", 170 lbs. Short legs, 29 inch inseam. I live in a hilly neighborhood. I will be using an ebike for fun and exercise, mainly on pavement. Budget is still being formulated, trying to prep the wife for sticker shock. Ballpark is $2.5k.

I live in a small rural city so a bike shop is an hour drive. I went over to Memphis and tried out a Trek Verve+ 2 step thru yesterday. It was my first ebike ride, and it was fun. However, I wasn't "wowed" like I was expecting. The bike just didn't have much power. Very smooth, and I did hit up to 20mph with waaaay less effort than on my regular bike, but I just wasn't blown away even with it in Turbo. I hit a pothole and it was rough! Feels like I would need more help with hills in my neighborhood. Having said that, the test ride was very short.

There is another shop that sells Specialized ebikes and maybe I'll check them out (hour drive in the other direction).

Other bikes I'm considering now:

1. Luna SixFifty Hardtail - Luna seems like an awesome company - love the parts they use, comes with a toolkit, and optional "Ludicrous mode" (not sure how that works but it is intriguing)
  2. Biktrix Juggernaut Classic - Looks like a great bike. Not sure I'd like the fat tires though.
So many questions but that's a good start. Any suggestions for other bikes?

Polymath,
Congrats on your search for an ebike. I think they are the best thing invented since the internet. 😊

A couple ideas to narrow your search:
- Are you ok with trouble shooting any problems that should arise? If so maybe an online purchase would fit your needs. As others on this forum will tell you, there are sizable savings.
- A local bike shop has the advantage of support after purchase, and hopefully good knowledge of their brands. And many carry more than one brand.

Also, I strongly recommend test rides. It’s kind of like when you rode the Trek Verve, it didn’t jump out and say “Buy me! Buy me!” Trust your instincts. You will know it’s the bike for you within the first few minutes.

Looking forward to a photo of your new ebike. 🚴🏼‍♀️😃.

Hello everyone! I am new to the world of ebikes. There are a ton of brands and models and a lot to learn. The first thing I learned is that they are very expensive. I currently have a 2011 Trek Wahoo, for which I paid around $350 for I believe, and thought it was expensive at the time. :) Down the rabbit hole that is the ebike world and here I am.
About me and what I'm looking for: I'm a 41 year old male, 5'8", 170 lbs. Short legs, 29 inch inseam. I live in a hilly neighborhood. I will be using an ebike for fun and exercise, mainly on pavement. Budget is still being formulated, trying to prep the wife for sticker shock. Ballpark is $2.5k.

I live in a small rural city so a bike shop is an hour drive. I went over to Memphis and tried out a Trek Verve+ 2 step thru yesterday. It was my first ebike ride, and it was fun. However, I wasn't "wowed" like I was expecting. The bike just didn't have much power. Very smooth, and I did hit up to 20mph with waaaay less effort than on my regular bike, but I just wasn't blown away even with it in Turbo. I hit a pothole and it was rough! Feels like I would need more help with hills in my neighborhood. Having said that, the test ride was very short.

There is another shop that sells Specialized ebikes and maybe I'll check them out (hour drive in the other direction).

Other bikes I'm considering now:

1. Luna SixFifty Hardtail - Luna seems like an awesome company - love the parts they use, comes with a toolkit, and optional "Ludicrous mode" (not sure how that works but it is intriguing)
  2. Biktrix Juggernaut Classic - Looks like a great bike. Not sure I'd like the fat tires though.
So many questions but that's a good start. Any suggestions for other bikes?
man i would go with the biktrix HD over the classic,you will want the extra get up and go! although the classic does look sweet!

There are a ton of brands and models and a lot to learn
So true, welcome to the world that is Ebikes, and welcome to the site.

Choosing the right one isn't much different than choosing the right car or truck. You'll likely reach a saturation point and experience total information/choice overload. If you've narrowed the search to a few then at that point the best option might be to just "dive in". End of season and Black Friday sales are around the corner so keep that in mind and good luck.

Polymath,
Congrats on your search for an ebike. I think they are the best thing invented since the internet. 😊

A couple ideas to narrow your search:
- Are you ok with trouble shooting any problems that should arise? If so maybe an online purchase would fit your needs. As others on this forum will tell you, there are sizable savings.
- A local bike shop has the advantage of support after purchase, and hopefully good knowledge of their brands. And many carry more than one brand.

Also, I strongly recommend test rides. It’s kind of like when you rode the Trek Verve, it didn’t jump out and say “Buy me! Buy me!” Trust your instincts. You will know it’s the bike for you within the first few minutes.

Looking forward to a photo of your new ebike. 🚴🏼‍♀️😃.

I‘d like to support a LBS, not worrying about shipping is a major plus, and their knowledge. However the price difference in a Trek or Specialized and something like a Luna is huge, especially when looking at class 2. I don’t even think Trek or Specialized has a bike with a throttle.
I’m good with troubleshooting minor stuff and doing maintenance. My LBS is a full service shop and they said they would service any ebike (they only sell Specialized).

What do you mean very expensive ?? Are you brainwashed so badly ?? I have to write like this to point out the reality.

A good new car is at least 15k and most people drive in traffic with many delays at avg. 18-20mph , drive also as single passenger for a 15-20miles commute ,2x -4c the time if the transportation mode was instead an ebike.
And they pay for that “ benefit” 300-400$/month in insurance, gas, parking, tools.

A good ebike is 2.5-4k and is 0$for electricity if you use a solar panel to charge it . Or 10cents per kw, electricity cost which covers 25-40miles !
0$ for parking
0$ for Insurance
0$ for tolls
0$ for oil/brake pads change (you can easily do it. Yourself).
Total cost -0$(besides a messy 50-100$/year for chain/tire, small parts) .

Millions of dollars in health and anti aging benefits/cost savings.Some people look 15-20years younger after riding an ebike for 5-6months...

You can buy a home (or put a down payment)in 5years just from using an ebike !!
There are useful uses for cars of course,but as far as commuting usage, it is clearly an obsolete mode of transportation and the car era is over.GM,Crysler, FORD should all make different forms of ebikes.
Giant sold 300.000ebikes in 2019 so far worldwide.

Where’s your Ford Mustang Ebike Gto😉 ?

I might be a bit of an outlier here, but I wouldn’t have bought an ebike if they didn’t make them in Class 3 mode. Before I bought my Class 3 gravel bike, I took a 25 mile ride on a friend’s Cannondale Synapse NEO.

That was a beautiful bike— drop bars, Apex groupset, integrated battery... but, alas, it was speed limited to 20 mph. Whenever I hit that wall (which seemed like five times a minute), it seemed like I was hitting an invisible force field whose purpose was to impede my progress.

Now, I don’t always trundle along at 28mph, but I’m often pedaling at 22 or 24 mph, and it’s so much nicer to have the motor able and willing in that zone.

For the life of me, I don’t understand how anyone can be content with a Class 1 bike. I know: different strokes for different folks, but why impose a draconian speed limit on yourself? Would you buy a car, no matter how sexy, if was governed to 55 mph?

Totally agreed. I had my 1st one @20mph and with some intense pedalling could do 22-23mph.
The Speed Pedelec i ride now does 30-31top after installing a 54t ring and is pretty much like a
Warp 9.9 spaceship.

Can you believe that pretty much all ofEurope is limited to 18mph ?? I’m sure some are rightfully eliberating their ebikes and can go 30 or 50kmh.

That must be some magic having people lawfully abide and actually buy an ebike like that !!
I wish they could have pull that trick to car buyers worldwide.

I might be a bit of an outlier here, but I wouldn’t have bought an ebike if they didn’t make them in Class 3 mode. Before I bought my Class 3 gravel bike, I took a 25 mile ride on a friend’s Cannondale Synapse NEO.

That was a beautiful bike— drop bars, Apex groupset, integrated battery... but, alas, it was speed limited to 20 mph. Whenever I hit that wall (which seemed like five times a minute), it seemed like I was hitting an invisible force field whose purpose was to impede my progress.

Now, I don’t always trundle along at 28mph, but I’m often pedaling at 22 or 24 mph, and it’s so much nicer to have the motor able and willing in that zone.

For the life of me, I don’t understand how anyone can be content with a Class 1 bike. I know: different strokes for different folks, but why impose a draconian speed limit on yourself? Would you buy a car, no matter how sexy, if was governed to 55 mph?
That’s how I feel too. When I did the Verve+ 2 test drive, I felt that invisible force field. What bike do you ride?

Totally agreed. I had my 1st one @20mph and with some intense pedalling could do 22-23mph.
The Speed Pedelec i ride now does 30-31top after installing a 54t ring and is pretty much like a
Warp 9.9 spaceship.

Can you believe that pretty much all ofEurope is limited to 18mph ?? I’m sure some are rightfully eliberating their ebikes and can go 30 or 50kmh.

That must be some magic having people lawfully abide and actually buy an ebike like that !!
I wish they could have pull that trick to car buyers worldwide.

Wow, 18mph in Europe? I understand not going to fast in crowded urban areas, but when out on the open road that doesn't make sense. What bike do you ride?

That’s how I feel too. When I did the Verve+ 2 test drive, I felt that invisible force field. What bike do you ride?
After a fair amount of research I came across the Bulls Grinder EVO, with the gravel grinder Class 3 setup I’d been looking for. Not too many options in this space, but this one hit my sweet spot!

I bought it at an ebike specialty shop www.Ebikesofne.com , which carries brands other than those that you typically see at local bikes stores like, Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc. Fortunately, the store is only a 90 minute drive away... they do ship directly to customers, tho. Check out the bikes on their website if you’re interested to see what else is out there.

I'm really torn here. I'd like to support a local shop, but they just don't offer a reasonably priced class 2 or 3 bike. The shop where I tested the Verve+ 2 had a total of 3 ebikes in stock.
I plan on checking out Specialized ebikes next, just watched Court's review of the Turbo Vado 4.0 and really like that bike. It's $1k more than what I want to spend though...

By the way, I think a really interesting and compelling bike is the new Trek Allante, which should be released any week now. It features the brand new version of the Bosch performance speed motor along with an upgraded 625 watt hour battery.

Yeah I was looking at the Allant line - looks like you have to get at least the Allant+ 8S to get a 28mph bike. Trek's naming scheme is meh. I know it's hard to compare bikes, but it seems like the Turbo Vado 4.0 is better equipped and costs $800 less than the Allant+ 8S. After riding the Verve+ over a pothole, I'm thinking suspension forks are a good thing.

All the reading and research that I do, and I keep coming back to the scramblers. I really like the Juiced Camp Scrambler. I want to have fun and get exercise, and I know that a lot of people don't pedal at all with these types of bikes. Put it on a low assist mode and get exercise, then bump it up when I need speed for a hill. The Ariel Rider D-class is very cool too but I'm not sure I need dual motors. Then there's the Luna Banana with ludicrous mode...

All the reading and research that I do, and I keep coming back to the scramblers. I really like the Juiced Camp Scrambler. I want to have fun and get exercise, and I know that a lot of people don't pedal at all with these types of bikes. Put it on a low assist mode and get exercise, then bump it up when I need speed for a hill. The Ariel Rider D-class is very cool too but I'm not sure I need dual motors. Then there's the Luna Banana with ludicrous mode...
if your thinking of getting a scrambler check out the juiced Scorpion, if you move right now i think you can get a Hyper Scorpion at the earlybird price of $2000! this is a 1000watt 35mph bike, Juiced Hyper are usually $3500ish

Back