New trek police bike

Thank you I'm loving it so far

Thanks Mattlow165 - I didn't know about this bike before your post! I'm going to buy one today.

Two reviews at Trek's website said the tires puncture very easily! I was thinking of swapping those out preemptively. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Thanks Mattlow165 - I didn't know about this bike before your post! I'm going to buy one today.

Two reviews at Trek's website said the tires puncture very easily! I was thinking of swapping those out preemptively. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Trail hawk-
I see you are in the Chicago area. Have you found this bike to do a test ride, if so which local dealer?

I have been trying to find a local dealer with this bike in stock for a test ride, to no avail. Last place I tried was a Trek dealer in Evanston. The only other option would be to purchase first with a 30 day return which I am not a fan of doing so. Really nice bike indeed.

Thanks again!

Yeah, I saw that also. I thought those were quality 'Schwalbe Snakeskin' tires which are standard equipment. It would be a shame if you had to swap out tires on a new bike purchase...

Trail hawk-
I see you are in the Chicago area. Have you found this bike to do a test ride, if so which local dealer?

I have been trying to find a local dealer with this bike in stock for a test ride, to no avail. Last place I tried was a Trek dealer in Evanston. The only other option would be to purchase first with a 30 day return which I am not a fan of doing so. Really nice bike indeed.

I've only ever test driven the XM700+. I found the Police bike out of state and will be driving six hours each way to get it.

I've only ever test driven the XM700+. I found the Police bike out of state and will be driving six hours each way to get it.

Wow. Is a 12 hour round trip worth the drive when you could perhaps purchase locally? I usually like to purchase locally in the event I need further assistance from a LBS dealer. In addition, to create a rapport/relationship with them as well. Happy travels with your new ride.

Last edited:
Wow. Is a 12 hour round trip worth the drive when you could perhaps purchase locally? I usually like to purchase locally in the event I need further assistance from a LBS dealer. In addition, to create a rapport/relationship with them as well. Happy travels with your new ride.

Yeah I hear ya - its good to support the LBS. The LBS said they can get the Police bike in October, maybe sooner, and told me to buy the Powerfly 5 instead. Far away bike store said they ordered the Police bike in February and it only just came in recently. I don't know. The only thing I can say for certain is that I'll be riding it this weekend.

I was talking to a Suburban load of US Border Patrol officers last night and all of their bikes were Treks with V-brakes up front and discs on back. I'm not against discs but I'm happy with V-brakes.

Thanks again!

Hello,
I replaced the stock tires on my Trek eBikes with Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB 'Flatless' and Marathon Plus tires on my commuter. and I've been very pleased. My goal was to make my bikes as flat resistant as possible regardless of cost or tire weight. I purchased my tires from Bike24.com ( a German website ) and saved a significant amount of $$ even with shipping. Good luck.

Yeah I hear ya - its good to support the LBS. The LBS said they can get the Police bike in October, maybe sooner, and told me to buy the Powerfly 5 instead. Far away bike store said they ordered the Police bike in February and it only just came in recently. I don't know. The only thing I can say for certain is that I'll be riding it this weekend.

Great news for you. Makes sense now. At least you are guaranteed to have the bike in your possession. I may have been misinformed at the local dealer I visited. They led me to believe that I would have the bike within the week and ready to ride. Perhaps there is some disconnect with this bike between dealer and Trek corporate. In addition, the Powerfly is only a class 1, so that is a no-brainer to decline their offer IMO.
Please let us all know how things go with your new purchase.

Is this the same geometry as the powerfly?

Hello, Yes, I compared the Trek Police Bike and the Powerfly using the Trek website, they have the same geometry. In order to
make the Police Bike 20 MPH, a Class 3, Trek uses the same Bosch Performance Line Motor they use in the XM700+ Commuter. Here's the back story...

I have Trek Powefly7, 20 mph max and wanted to upgrade the max speed. Thinking it was a software change I asked my LBS to contact Trek
and see if the change could be done. Trek said I'd have to change the motor... I said Hmm ? My LBS Mgr checked the Bosch part numbers of the Police Bike motor and the Trek XM 700+ motor and sure enough they are the same.

Last edited:
Hello, Yes, I compared the Trek Police Bike and the Powerfly using the Trek website, they have the same geometry. In order to
make the Police Bike 20 MPH, a Class 3, Trek uses the same Bosch Performance Line Motor they use in the XM700+ Commuter, which is Class 3. Here's the back story...

I have Trek Powefly7, 20 mph max and wanted to upgrade the max speed. Thinking it was a software change I asked my LBS to contact Trek
and see if the change could be done. Trek said I'd have to change the motor... I said Hmm ? My LBS Mgr checked the Bosch part numbers of the Police Bike motor and the Trek XM 700+ motor and sure enough they are the same.

John- I asked the same question while at the Trek dealer when comparing both bikes mentioned, and they told me basically the same thing, however, never said anything about motor numbers matching. My first thought was to get a speed dongle (Badass box etc).

Last edited:
All I've done for some extra speed is flip the sender to the outside of the frame with a few zipties and used a old wheel magnet on the pedal get about 32 out of her.

John- I asked the same question while at the Trek dealer while comparing both bikes mentioned, and they told me basically the same thing, however, never said anything about motor numbers matching. My first thought was to get a speed dongle (Badass box etc).

Bob, The Owner of my LBS sort of stumbled across the same Bosch Motor Part Number during his research for me. I considered a dongle
as well, but said... 'Hey, A tweak of the firmware on my Powerfly 7 and I'd be good to go". Wrong ! : ) Hello new motor. I don't think so.

XM700+ Commuter Bosch Performance Speed, 350 watt, 63Nm, 28 mph....Shimano HG50, 11-36, 10 speed

Powerfly 7 MTB Bosch Performance CX, 250 watt, 75Nm..... Shimano SLX M7000, 11-46, 11 speed

Speaking from experience, the torque range on the Bosch CX is much wider then the XM700 as it should be which makes it
so much fun.

I must say as I switched back and forth between my XM700+ and PF7 I've said many times, " If the PF7 was a Class 3 this would be
the perfect eBike for me." On the XM700 I rarely ride above 22-24 mph, but the 20mph on the PF 7 is a bit limiting. I guess I'm saying it seems like Trek has come up with a winner with the new Police MTB.

Great news for you. Makes sense now. At least you are guaranteed to have the bike in your possession. I may have been misinformed at the local dealer I visited. They led me to believe that I would have the bike within the week and ready to ride. Perhaps there is some disconnect with this bike between dealer and Trek corporate. In addition, the Powerfly is only a class 1, so that is a no-brainer to decline their offer IMO.
Please let us all know how things go with your new purchase.

I'm picking the Police bike up today! I'll keep you posted.

I'll also be adding a Bosch Nyon color, center-mounted screen with discrete remote. I ordered the Nyon retrofit kit for $355 from Merlin Cycles in the United Kingdom. Swapping out the Purion controller seems to require removing the drive unit for the cable run (video: https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Bosch-eBike-Support), which I'll likely seek help with rather than DIY.

The Nyon is apparently not offered in the United States and so yes, I'm a little concerned about warranty. But its plug and play, so I don't actually agree that warranty should be affected - even though it may be.

I'll also be swapping the seat and seatpost with a bontrager gel and a bodyfloat 2.1 once I determine how long the seatpost needs to be.

Last edited:
Bob, The Owner of my LBS sort of stumbled across the same Bosch Motor Part Number during his research for me. I considered a dongle
as well, but said... 'Hey, A tweak of the firmware on my Powerfly 7 and I'd be good to go". Wrong ! : ) Hello new motor. I don't think so.

XM700+ Commuter Bosch Performance Speed, 350 watt, 63Nm, 28 mph....Shimano HG50, 11-36, 10 speed

Powerfly 7 MTB Bosch Performance CX, 250 watt, 75Nm..... Shimano SLX M7000, 11-46, 11 speed

Speaking from experience, the torque range on the Bosch CX is much wider then the XM700 as it should be which makes it
so much fun.

I must say as I switched back and forth between my XM700+ and PF7 I've said many times, " If the PF7 was a Class 3 this would be
the perfect eBike for me." On the XM700 I rarely ride above 22-24 mph, but the 20mph on the PF 7 is a bit limiting. I guess I'm saying it seems like Trek has come up with a winner with the new Police MTB.

John- Yes, my sentiments exactly. When Ravi first presented the Police bike to this forum, I was really impressed being I have been a fan of Trek for many years past. Putting a speed motor on a setup like that seems it has all the right stuff paired together. The torque and speed combined will probably give all you need from one E-bike for multi use trails and commutes. The 'all in one concept' seems like a great move for them. I wish they would start making it more readily available for the consumer. :p

Back