New Team Hydra Member

I am working this mornin but hope to get out later today. Still no phone mount for bike. I am not much of a YouTube poster though. do any of you have Apple I could share a photo stream with and you could up load it To YouTube. You can PM me details
thanks
Gary

In addition to pictures tell us about ride qualities and motor assist/throttle qualities if you would. Your experience with your Hydra as compared to your experience with bikes you've previously ridden can give us a lot of clues as to what would possibly be available for us.

The blue is really beautiful. The orange is more of a burnt orange with some metallic. I tried to get an accurate weight on the blue one but the bathroom scale bounces between 60 and 65 pounds depending on how it is setting on it. I think it is tubeless.
That polar blue is fantastic! I might have to switch my color from northern lights... Swatches get here in a couple days.

we went for a 20m very rough ride yesterday. definitely sore today. I will be reprogramming the power soon. spent most of my time in eco 1 and 2 where I would be in eco 2-5 on my Frey. I.need a couple more low power choices. The kindernay is taking some getting used to. In the lower Gears it is quiet but in the upper gears it sounds like there is a second freewheel clicking even when you are peddling. It will not shift under load. You need to pause and shift but it only takes a 1/2 second. one time it shifted and then felt like it pop into another gear after several strokes. I will ride it some more on pavement today so I can hear better. The Mezzer Pro and Rockshox superdelux are a big step up from my Frey with the rockshox RL silver and monarch. The forks are night and day smooth by comparison.
when I bought Johnnywatts to replace white super Moto‘s I thought wow twice the traction but the Nobby nicks are twice the traction of the Johnnywatts. But but feel it on pavemen.
my nephew who is only 145 pounds rode the blue tubeless bike. He mistakenly had it set in sport mode and all he had to say was this things like a motorcycle. He was constantly a quarter-mile ahead of the rest of us and waiting.

I also wanted to comment on the weight. blue has a standard cassette with tubeless and aluminum rims. It is At least 3 pounds lighter than the large with the Kindernay and Tannus and Armor.and tubes. wait is noticeable but honestly enjoy the ligher bike. However we got a flat tire on another bike that was running tubes and it was a headache. So even though it will add 1 1/2 pounds I am ordering an extra set of armor for blue bike. I would rather not have to worry about a flat.
Lots of great ' indicator' info there for my choices. Thank you.

I also wanted to comment on the weight. blue has a standard cassette with tubeless and aluminum rims. It is At least 3 pounds lighter than the large with the Kindernay and Tannus and Armor.and tubes. wait is noticeable but honestly enjoy the ligher bike. However we got a flat tire on another bike that was running tubes and it was a headache. So even though it will add 1 1/2 pounds I am ordering an extra set of armor for blue bike. I would rather not have to worry about a flat.
Yeah I feel the same way. I would rather deal with the extra few lbs of protection than a flat.

@
we went for a 20m very rough ride yesterday. definitely sore today. I will be reprogramming the power soon. spent most of my time in eco 1 and 2 where I would be in eco 2-5 on my Frey. I.need a couple more low power choices. The kindernay is taking some getting used to. In the lower Gears it is quiet but in the upper gears it sounds like there is a second freewheel clicking even when you are peddling. It will not shift under load. You need to pause and shift but it only takes a 1/2 second. one time it shifted and then felt like it pop into another gear after several strokes. I will ride it some more on pavement today so I can hear better. The Mezzer Pro and Rockshox superdelux are a big step up from my Frey with the rockshox RL silver and monarch. The forks are night and day smooth by comparison.
when I bought Johnnywatts to replace white super Moto‘s I thought wow twice the traction but the Nobby nicks are twice the traction of the Johnnywatts. But but feel it on pavemen.
my nephew who is only 145 pounds rode the blue tubeless bike. He mistakenly had it set in sport mode and all he had to say was this things like a motorcycle. He was constantly a quarter-mile ahead of the rest of us and waiting.

Acme, you mentioned "The kindernay is taking some getting used to. In the lower Gears it is quiet but in the upper gears it sounds like there is a second freewheel clicking even when you are peddling. It will not shift under load. You need to pause and shift but it only takes a 1/2 second. one time it shifted and then felt like it pop into another gear after several strokes." I'm curious if things have gotten smoother for you and if there are adjustments to adddress the sounds/shifting/pausing issues.

I watched some Kindernay youtube videos. One spoke of a contact with Kindernay themselves and being told it will quiet down in 300 miles and with first oil change.

One guy with 100 miles on his said noise is a little different depending on what gear your in - position of gears inside hub.

Edit: Oh, the popping into another gear, or out of gear, was mentioned in one video too (marketing vid?) they said no problem, just punch the shifter again.

Last edited:
The kindernay seams to have gotten quieter. The second freewheel ticking sound when you are peddling is silent in first and gets steadily faster as you go up gears. It has not popped or changed gears again. i am beginning to like it. Shifting is super simple as long as you stop peddling for a second You can go up or down multiple gears it comes with a heavy duty chain compared to the cassette bike.

The kindernay seams to have gotten quieter. The second freewheel ticking sound when you are peddling is silent in first and gets steadily faster as you go up gears. It has not popped or changed gears again. i am beginning to like it. Shifting is super simple as long as you stop peddling for a second You can go up or down multiple gears it comes with a heavy duty chain compared to the cassette bike.
Good to know, I was wondering about the quality of the chain that came with the installed Kindernay.

Good to know, I was wondering about the quality of the chain that came with the installed Kindernay.
We are using a 9-speed on the kindernay at the moment. It can take a bunch of torque. IIRC they recommend 10 or 11 speed but with the additional torque, we need to go thicker chain.

As q result the minimum tooth cog is 18 for us, and not 16T .. we need the additional grip so the chain stays solid.

Still workign on better tensioners but we have had good luck with standard single and dual pulleys.

I figured out the options I wanted on my Hydra and put in the final order specs yesterday. Looking forward to it.

Thank you to all the people who have Hydras and have shared their experience and perspective. Also thank you to others that have shared relevant info.

I figured out the options I wanted on my Hydra and put in the final order specs yesterday. Looking forward to it.

Thank you to all the people who have Hydras and have shared their experience and perspective. Also thank you to others that have shared relevant info.
Congrats on final decision.

Recieved an email yesterday from WW that my Hydra has shipped. Am totally stoked.

I'm looking forward to trying it as is mostly and also anticipating some changes to personalize it to my taste. I've come to like Stamp 7 pedals, we'll see what the Stamp 1s are like. Ditto on grips and handlebars and saddle.

Smooth power/assist is definitely something I have come to love so am looking forward to having that on the Hydra and more of it than I do now.

Fun to be close to being a Team Hydra Member.

Reed!!!!! You old rattlesnake!, there you are. Been missing you.

Sometime post up about your Hydras function, ride and etc on some of the more challenging jeep roads on the ranch.

Recieved an email yesterday from WW that my Hydra has shipped. Am totally stoked.

I'm looking forward to trying it as is mostly and also anticipating some changes to personalize it to my taste. I've come to like Stamp 7 pedals, we'll see what the Stamp 1s are like. Ditto on grips and handlebars and saddle.

Smooth power/assist is definitely something I have come to love so am looking forward to having that on the Hydra and more of it than I do now.

Fun to be close to being a Team Hydra Member.
Good news for you Merle! Do you know what drivetrain components are coming on your Hydra? Are you starting with the smaller 11-42 cassette for instance?

Last edited:
Back