New Stromer ST5 LTD

bluecat

The company unveiled today the latest model:

The Stromer ST5 LTD.

Painted in stealth green, fitted with yellow calipers (TRP HD 944), the high level USD fork from Wren and the famous BodyFloat:

ST5_Ltd_Stealth Green.jpg

Please find attached the ST5 tech sheet. It contains als pictures of the additional leather bag. As it is in german, below the spec in english according the media release:

Technical data for the ST5 LTD:
  • Motor: Stromer SYNO Sport, 850 W / 48 Nm
  • Battery: 983 Wh with up to 180 km range
  • Shifting system: Shimano XTR Di2 11-Speed 11-42
  • Tires: Pirelli Cycl-e ST for Stromer
  • Display: OMNI Interface C with connectivity via 3G / Bluetooth
  • Frame sizes: M < 178 cm / L 175 – 188 cm / XL > 185 cm
  • Color: Stealth Green
  • Scope of delivery: Charger for bike and Di2, pedals, side mirrors, manual, cell phone bracket from SP Connect, Stromer Bern Leather Bag 13 l and suspension kit (suspension fork and Kinekt seatpost)
  • RRP: from EUR 11,190 / CHF 11,790
Highlights of the ST5 LTD:
  • Unsurpassed flagship of the Stromer S-Pedelec range
  • Incomparable Stromer riding fun: Powerful, dynamic and silent
  • Most powerful rear-wheel motor with sports mode for assistance up to 45 km/h (850 W / 48 Nm) and a range of up to 180 km(983 Wh battery)
  • High-end components such as Supernova M99 Pro headlight, Shimano Di2 shifting system, 4-piston brake by TRP and Pirelli Cycl-e tires
  • Perfectly adapted to commuting on the road with large-volume 27.5” high-end tires
  • Connectivity via 3G and Bluetooth for GPS localization, Smartlock, individual motor settings and statistics
  • Fully integrated, multi-award winning design
  • Patented battery ejection at the push of a button (Keyless)

Special highlights of the ST5 LTD – the ST5 LTD is equipped in line with the standard ST5 model, with a number of extras:
  • Limited edition with smoothed sports frame and exclusive paint finish in Stealth Green
  • Upside-down suspension fork from Wren Sports, suspension seatpost from Kinekt and carrier from Racktime
  • High-quality leather bag Stromer Bern 13 l with stowable carry handle and Racktime adapter

Attachments

• ST5_Ltd_Tech_Sheet_MY2021.pdf
    990.4 KB · Views: 610
For 10K this should have been the version of ST5 that is being sold, I don't see any reason why front fork suspension is not standard at that price range.

Moreover a better, integrated FS design (not like a mtb but an elegant one) instead of a seatpost suspension is expected at this price range.

For 10K this should have been the version of ST5 that is being sold, I don't see any reason why front fork suspension is not standard at that price range.

Moreover a better, integrated FS design (not like a mtb but an elegant one) instead of a seatpost suspension is expected at this price range.

Which competitor does is it better but cheaper as Stromer?

Since over ten years, this question accompanied me. The better 45km/h street legal commuter bike with gearless hub drive, where is it? I know the answer for the Swiss market, will you provide a proposal for the US market?

Which competitor does is it better but cheaper as Stromer?

Since over ten years, this question accompanied me. The better 45km/h street legal commuter bike with gearless hub drive, where is it? I know the answer for the Swiss market, will you provide a proposal for the US market?

I will try to be nice. For example this one,

https://www.klever-mobility.com/e-bikes/x-range/x-speed-pinion

Similar power, battery has slightly less capacity but comes with a pinion + belt drive, which normally adds 1.5-2k to a bike and front fork suspension. $4K cheaper

Look, I actually have a lot of nice things to say about ST5 in the 50-100 miles of riding I did. However there are things that also doesn't fit well with a bike that has an MSRP of 10K +.

You should try to be open to criticism especially if you are connected to the company...

Thanks for sharing!

Indeed, I wasn't aware, they are active in the US market.

Could you do me a favor? Please estimate the size of market share compared with Stromer. Does KLEVER sell...

• more than Stromer
  • approximately equal
  • less than Stromer

I know, Klever is a subdivision of Kymco, a large scooter company. And for sure, at least 50 times bigger than Stromer.

As mentioned, I know the competition on the Swiss market. I've shot this picture on 2017 at the world leading bike fair, the Eurobike:

Paper_Clip_2017.jpg

I liked the paper-clip design from beginning. And I expected this will be the new challenger for Stromer. But I was wrong. I Germany, where the 45 km/h market has only 1% of the whole e-bike market, they gained some market share, but it seems they are still clear behind Stromer. In Switzerland, Klever is on the level of Speedped.

I also discussed this with the people from Stromer. They had the same helplessness as I. The product looks nice and complete, has individual design, an attractive price point, comes with several good features. For those who not want to take benefit of the special Stromer features, it would fit well. Nevertheless, most customers prefer a Stromer.

To my eye the Stromer is a much better looking ebike

It also feels great to ride, E shifting is precise, crisp, tires are grippy, feels very stable at high speeds and is truly silent.

But I can't see myself riding it on the east coast for example, because of snow, salt and horrible potholes. They can make models that fit these conditions too but they don't seem to care about feedback.

Last edited:
Totally agree that this should have been the bike they brought in at $10K in the first place.

If a bike produced for Olympic races or Tour De France then I can understand a price tag of $11,600 but for a bike that is sold to the public, any E-bike that costs over 10K ..... I mean that is exorbitantly high.
Perhaps 15,000 or more of my E-biking miles have been on Stromer and I have seen the company go from small to at one time having 6 different regional managers and selling 1000's of bikes in the US.

It reminds me of Charles Darwin's quote....

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, not the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.”

It remains to be seen how Stromer will adapt to the changing E-bike market.

Last edited:

My goodness what an elegant design. As to suspension ... if I Was in Europe, riding mostly on their wonderful paved bike paths, I wouldn't be overly concerned with suspension. Actually front suspension forks look kind of silly on this bike to me. It's such a lovely thing I doubt if I'd even want to take it on smooth gravel bike path. :p
This is a bike for older people who figure they might as well spend their money now because the kids will just waste it after they're gone.

My goodness what an elegant design. As to suspension ... if I Was in Europe, riding mostly on their wonderful paved bike paths, I wouldn't be overly concerned with suspension. Actually front suspension forks look kind of silly on this bike to me. It's such a lovely thing I doubt if I'd even want to take it on smooth gravel bike path. :p
This is a bike for older people who figure they might as well spend their money now because the kids will just waste it after they're gone.
Or even more so for old folks with no kids.....ya can’t take it with ya.... so might as well go nuts with an ST5 Limited
🚲 😎🚴‍♀️

Or even more so for old folks with no kids.....ya can’t take it with ya.... so might as well go nuts with an ST5 Limited
🚲 😎🚴‍♀️

ST5 is not for old folks, it actually has a semi-aggressive riding position and because of proprietary stem it can not be adjusted.

When you don't take price into account, ST5 is actually a great ride for long distance commuters who like a sporty feeling fast bike.

When you don't take price into account,

The pricing debate is little bit surprising to me; an ordinary ST5, fitted with Wren, BodyFloat and leather computer bag has almost the same price.

The benefit of the LTD is his color scheme and the polished welding seams:

clean_seam.jpg

If you plan to buy the ST5 with full equipment, the ST5 LTD might be the one. But I have to the, I've never seen the green in sunlight. The bike was only presented at the "Chicago 1928", a venue in Zürich. In room with red velvet walls in light of some LED beams, my impression of the colors might be misled. Saying the, because I did white balance correction on the picture development. So, before you order; I hope you a chance to see it in daylight.

On the other hand, you may ask yourself, why this bike is presented now. Those who follow me at stromerforum.ch already know what's in the pipeline for 2021....

stromerforum.ch already know what's in the pipeline for 2021....

Maybe you can also talk about their 2021 lineup here too (since that forum is not in English).

On a side note the welds on the one I am riding is as polished as the one on the picture.

The same from the other side.

The two piece TRP rotor has 203mm diameter. The black lines are recessed slots for self-cleaning.

MB2_3165.jpg

Back