New Stromer ST3 with Pinion C1.9 and Gates carbon belt

The ST2 with beltdrive works pretty good. But it has only 5 gears. So the 9-speed in ST3 and some more power seems to be the perfect concept in combination with gates and rear-hub-motor. The bikes looks so cool clean …

The ST2 with beltdrive works pretty good. But it has only 5 gears. So the 9-speed in ST3 and some more power seems to be the perfect concept in combination with gates and rear-hub-motor.

This paper analysis lacks on the riding experience.

He is salesman from a LBS, I can forgive him mentioning a "Sensor im Tretlager". The sensor on a Stromer is always at the rear end. But he missed the most important thing an a Stromer: The cadence at 45km/h. The 26" had 76, all 27½" have 71½ - but the ST2 has 79½!

This difference is for some riders too big. They will not maintain 45km/h.

On the other hand, the ST3 Pinion will come with two overdrive gears. And the 9-gear shifter cannot be fully operated without replacing the hand. With other words: The audience for a ST5 and the ST3 Pinion is completely different - not because of the price.

Take home message: The internet is crowded with nice looking videos - but be careful with the information they carry.

The cadence at 45km/h. The 26" had 76, all 27½" have 71½ - but the ST2 has 79½!

This difference is for some riders too big. They will not maintain 45km/h.
I disagree. You can´t have a hub-gear-box with 5 gears to go up to 45. That´s not what ST2 is built for. If you want that you have to choose a 11 speed Shimano or sram. Or the pinion ....

Last edited:
That means : the "input" of rider comes over the "trelager" :) It doesn´t matter, where the measurement result is taken.

From a consumer's point of view, this might be acceptable.

The riders input can be measured at the crank, on the motors axle or at rear dropout. The last option gives the best results, therefore Stromer and other professional commuter bikes using this configuration. A Stromer dealer has to know this, because the most performance issues on an Stromer are caused by (accidentally) mistreating of the sensor due to self repair tasks.

Here some details (german) of ST3 Pinion :

Pinion & Gates, sold as the ultimate solution.

But those who ride the farmost Kilometers at all weather, doing maintenance and repair at their own - these people always choose chain and derailleur.

So, why a bike messenger won't have the "ultimate solution" on his bike (even not for free)?

because the most performance issues on an Stromer are caused by (accidentally) mistreating of the sensor due to self repair tasks.

And after them being in business of 10 years i think they could at least put a big sticker near the TMM 4 sensor:

WARNING : DO not over tighten the thruaxle or else your torque sensor will have incorrect values affecting ebike performance !!

Adjust thru axle until OMNI displays 0.7-1.2V values ( 0.9V Es ist Sehr gut 😉) .

And after them being in business of 10 years i think they could at least put a big sticker near the TMM 4 sensor:

WARNING : DO not over tighten the thruaxle or else your torque sensor will have incorrect values affecting ebike performance !!

Adjust thru axle until OMNI displays 0.7-1.2V values ( 0.9V Es ist Sehr gut 😉) .
I agree , a sticker would be nice however the correct torque for tightening the wheel is clearly stated in the manual...

I agree , a sticker would be nice however the correct torque for tightening the wheel is clearly stated in the manual...

Yeah, great idea!

Will help those who can afford a 11k CHF Stromer but haven't the bucks for the bike mechanic and are unwilling to read the manual.

From what I heard, Stromer is doing really well in Europe.
Hi Ravi, you’re right, they’re doing well relative to other brands in the speed pedelec segment in Belgium and the Netherlands. ( biggest market for that type of bike in the world) . In Belgium Stromer consistently commands a 35% market share of the speed pedelec segment. Top 3 bike models sold are Stromers . This despite hub motors / price /complexity etc etc.
There are big tax incentives for employers/ employees to forgo their gas guzzlers and ride to work .these incentives are of course available to all brands..

Back