The ST7 definitely looks like a cool bike; congrats to Stromer for going w/ an e-shifting system & belt drive!
I hope the torque sensor design has been improved from the ST5.

It would be nice to see integrated turn lights and a decent horn.

The ST7 definitely looks like a cool bike; congrats to Stromer for going w/ an e-shifting system & belt drive!

It would be nice to see integrated turn lights and a decent horn.
I have turn signals on my two helmets (Stromer helmet by Unit 1 and Lumos Ultra), but rarely use them as you need to be very close by to recognize what they are. I generally only use them when I’m at a stop light and everyone is close by to me.

I placed my order for the ST7 today with both the seatpost and front suspension. My dealer here in San Francisco told me it will likely arrive in early January. I haven’t actually seen one yet other than in videos. I’m hoping the gold color isn’t too ostentatious! I love my ST5 and my main reasons to upgrade are the larger battery and the electronic pinion gearbox with gates carbon belt drive. More range and lower maintenance are a great combination.

I’m hoping the weight is similar to the ST5. These high end eBikes are a handful to get onto a bike rack. They need to trend toward being lighter, not heavier.
I just checked with Stromer USA about when we can expect to see the ST7 here, and their response was: “The cargo ship carrying the container for Stromer US has experienced two delays leaving port and is conservatively anticipated, end of February. Originally, estimated end of January.”

So I guess we can expect dealers won‘t have them until early March 🙁

Nope.

The learning for the "Gates-ready" sensor design began with the ST2 Gates, followed by the ST3 Pinion and ist now at the ST7. The other series for all Stromer with derailleur gearing are different and should not be mixed up with the Gates.

I just checked with Stromer USA about when we can expect to see the ST7 here, and their response was: “The cargo ship carrying the container for Stromer US has experienced two delays leaving port and is conservatively anticipated, end of February. Originally, estimated end of January.”

So I guess we can expect dealers won‘t have them until early March 🙁
I also just learned that only the gold ST7 will arrive at the end of February here in the USA. The dark platinum ST7 won’t arrive here until end of May.

I also just learned that only the gold ST7 will arrive at the end of February here in the USA. The dark platinum ST7 won’t arrive here until end of May.
That’s too bad on the dark platinum end of May arrival.
The all gold is too over the top for me .
Thinking of selling my ST5 with 450 miles and getting the ST7.
Too bad it is priced like solid platinum….

Hi, I had an opportunity to take an ST7 for a short ride yesterday. WOW!
It is fast! The acceleration is surprisingly swift for such a heavy (moped like @Stefan Mikes ;)) bike. It's agile, and its huge torque and power allows one to pick up speed insanely fast. Good for putting space between oneself and cars at the traffic light. However when cruising at 28mph the sensation of speed is strangely underwhelming. The weight of the bike, the size of the balloon tires damp the sensations. It doesn't feel like your riding fast as you are but the speed is confirmed when looking down at the speedometer. it is further confirmed by the surprised looks of the drivers I passed. It's a little disappointing as the sensations are not as exciting as the ST5 but It definitely builds speed and powers uphill faster than my ST5.
The Pinion Smartshift is , as advertised, lightning fast but for it to perform smoothly one must press the shifter at the moment when the pedals are up and down. This is known as the comfort mode. Takes a little getting used to but when you manage it, it's instantaneous and seamless. Stromer representatives have promised ( future Firmware update) an auto mode which will automatically shift based on a selected preferred cadence.

Hi, I had an opportunity to take an ST7 for a short ride yesterday. WOW!
It is fast! The acceleration is surprisingly swift for such a heavy (moped like @Stefan Mikes ;)) bike. It's agile, and its huge torque and power allows one to pick up speed insanely fast. Good for putting space between oneself and cars at the traffic light. However when cruising at 28mph the sensation of speed is strangely underwhelming. The weight of the bike, the size of the balloon tires damp the sensations. It doesn't feel like your riding fast as you are but the speed is confirmed when looking down at the speedometer. it is further confirmed by the surprised looks of the drivers I passed. It's a little disappointing as the sensations are not as exciting as the ST5 but It definitely builds speed and powers uphill faster than my ST5.
The Pinion Smartshift is , as advertised, lightning fast but for it to perform smoothly one must press the shifter at the moment when the pedals are up and down. This is known as the comfort mode. Takes a little getting used to but when you manage it, it's instantaneous and seamless. Stromer representatives have promised ( future Firmware update) an auto mode which will automatically shift based on a selected preferred cadence.
Thanks for posting your experience with the ST7!

Did you try lifting it? I understand it’s quite a bit heavier than the ST5.

I also have the ST5 with an ST7 on order. One of the things I like about the ST5 is how quiet it is. I used to have a R&M Superdelite and its Rohloff transmission was loud and clunky, especially in the middle gears. Is the Pinion as quiet and smooth as the ST5?

I assume you rode the gold-colored bike. What did you think of its looks (it’s what I have on order and I’m hoping it’s not too over-the-top glam)?

Hi Abe, I did try to lift it and it is indeed very/too? heavy. No one is going to want to carry this bike more than a couple of feet. Bike repair stands are going to be a problem unless one has a pro bike shop type anchored to the floor. Toe hitch (Thule type) are also going to be a problem unless one can find one with a higher than average weight tolerance spec and a ramp. The Thule rack pictured below has one but is not specced for this much weight.
The bike is as quiet as the ST5.
The Pinion is quiet can be slightly heard at standstill, inaudible while riding and smooth if you switch at the right moment . If not there are definitely some unpleasant clunks. The only noise you hear is wind and tire noise.
I rode the gold. It was always a little too bling bling for me (that's why I ordered the dark platinum) . The finish is super nice and clean. IMG_7041.jpegScreenshot 2023-02-04 at 23.34.26.png

Stromer ST7 n.png99797F54-FFB0-4983-8B91-978730460393.jpeg

?? One review said the E Pinion 12 did automatically shift at the top/bottom pedal position where it is smoothest shift.

Sounds like that is not true???

?? One review said the E Pinion 12 did automatically shift at the top/bottom pedal position where it is smoothest shift.

Sounds like that is not true???
Hi Minnbobber, the auto shift feature/ mode isn’t available yet. It has been promised for a future update. As stated earlier , for now, the smoothest shift is indeed achieved in the top/down position aka Comfort mode.

That’s too bad on the dark platinum end of May arrival.
The all gold is too over the top for me .
Thinking of selling my ST5 with 450 miles and getting the ST7.
Too bad it is priced like solid platinum….

The latest rumours I got are :
Early adopters of the Gold launch edition are in fact beta testing their bikes.
Some reports indicate:
Cold weather issues with the new battery. Some error codes/ warnings
Some ABS issues. Where the ABS module is not recognized by the Omni computer/ controller.
Weak support around top speed.
Motor cable eroded by brake rotor.
Pinion shifting performance.
These problems are being assessed and dealt with through firmware updates and by smart shop bike mechanics. I am relieved/ happy to report that those, who've had some or all of these issues are also indicating that it's getting better and that the bikes are, after the updates, performing as expected. To be clear, not everyone is experiencing any or all of these problems.
I've come to expect a certain amount of delays and teething issues with any new tech.
Even companies with orders of magnitude more R&D budget experience this with new products. Looking at you Tesla, Boeing etc... One could also casually glance at any EBR forum brand to see that ALL experience some issues at one point or another. Plus let's not forget that the purpose of this kind of forum is twofold: 1- to share the excitement and joy these bikes bring to our lives. 2- to bitch about them when they don't perform according to our expectations. The high price of these bikes compounds the frustration but let's be realistic. Innovation often comes at a price. Early adopters should know this.
I am frustrated that the Dark Platinum will be delayed until late april/ early may, but if it means that the bike will come free of any issues , I'll take it.
Lastly, (whispering) some say the DP will come with the Supernova M99 Pro 2!!!! 🤞 🤞 🤞

Last edited:
Some ABS issues. Where the ABS module is not recognized by the Omni computer/ controller.

I listen the complaints and then try to rate them. I'll pick out a few points:
  • ABS: I had one user, who claimed have don some settings on the ABS. But the ABS is fully independent from Stromer and OMNI. There is a ABS icon displayed at startup, but it may disappear or being replaced by another icon. But this has nothing to do with the function of the ABS.
  • Top Speed Support: Same as the ST3, the ST7 has a gearing configuration with two overdrives. The logic effect of the reduced cadence is a felt loss of power if you want to accelerate. Use the 10th gear and all is fine.
  • Battery and Temperature: For safety reasons and anti-aging, the battery cannot be charged below 0ºC. For safety reasons and anti-aging, the battery cannot be charged below 0ºC.
On user report an unwanted freewheel effect when try to shift from 12th upwards. This is a clear bug and a surprising bug, because poor accuracy of the Smart Shift was addressed to Pinion during the test phase. However, the SmartShift will never be as fast as a Di2. The lack of the "SportShift" settings is bad, because exactly this function should be the top function of the Smart Shift.

MB2_5311.jpg

I got my ST7 today! It is a very nice bike, and I only had time to take a short 5-mile ride to adjust the seat, and get a feel for the bike. A few initial reactions:

Compared to my ST5, it is a predictably different experience, given the obvious differences in drive train. But it is just as much fun to ride, and it feels similarly powerful (not more, not less). It is just as quiet, and the shifting is just as smooth once you get used to the rhythm of the pinion system.

The one thing I don’t like, compared to the ST5, is that it feels like the regenerative braking kicks in at weird times. When I start to pedal from a stopped position, it feels like there is regenerative braking resistance fighting me for about one second before it releases. When I stop pedaling and just coast, the regenerative braking kicks in, quickly slowing the bike rather than just coasting. Also, when I engage the brakes, the regenerative braking seems to kick in for a moment before the real brakes engage, and when I release the brakes, the regenerative braking stays engaged for about a second after the real brakes disengage. All of this “feels” wrong. Hopefully a software update will address this. Or maybe I need to try a different sensitivity setting for the brakes. Right now I have it set at 100%.

Another issue is the bike arrived with no side mirror. The dealer’s demo bike did not have one either. This despite the US Stromer ST7 website stating that a mirror comes with it. I was thinking of moving the mirror from my ST5 to the ST7, but it does not appear that can be done.

That’s all I have to share for now. Stay tuned for more updates.

Attachments

• 6CC1BCB7-242A-4937-8FA4-34796301F719.jpeg
    6CC1BCB7-242A-4937-8FA4-34796301F719.jpeg
    901 KB · Views: 204
Motor cable eroded by brake rotor.
I got my ST7 yesterday, and to address the issue you mention about the motor cable being eroded by the brake rotor, my dealer used a zip tie to hold the cable against the frame and away from the rotor. Even with the (ugly!) zip tie, the cable is still dangerously close to the rotor.

I would add another item to your list: on my first ride with my ST7 I had a pedal strike while going around a turn I’ve made a hundred times with my ST5. I’ve never experienced a pedal strike with my ST5, even after nearly 4,000 miles of riding it, and on my first ST7 ride, there it was. I measured the clearance on both bikes when I got home, and sure enough, the ST7’s pedal is a half inch closer to the ground than the ST5.

I got my ST7 today! It is a very nice bike, and I only had time to take a short 5-mile ride to adjust the seat, and get a feel for the bike. A few initial reactions:

Compared to my ST5, it is a predictably different experience, given the obvious differences in drive train. But it is just as much fun to ride, and it feels similarly powerful (not more, not less). It is just as quiet, and the shifting is just as smooth once you get used to the rhythm of the pinion system.

The one thing I don’t like, compared to the ST5, is that it feels like the regenerative braking kicks in at weird times. When I start to pedal from a stopped position, it feels like there is regenerative braking resistance fighting me for about one second before it releases. When I stop pedaling and just coast, the regenerative braking kicks in, quickly slowing the bike rather than just coasting. Also, when I engage the brakes, the regenerative braking seems to kick in for a moment before the real brakes engage, and when I release the brakes, the regenerative braking stays engaged for about a second after the real brakes disengage. All of this “feels” wrong. Hopefully a software update will address this. Or maybe I need to try a different sensitivity setting for the brakes. Right now I have it set at 100%.

Another issue is the bike arrived with no side mirror. The dealer’s demo bike did not have one either. This despite the US Stromer ST7 website stating that a mirror comes with it. I was thinking of moving the mirror from my ST5 to the ST7, but it does not appear that can be done.

That’s all I have to share for now. Stay tuned for more updates.
Hey Abe ! Congrats on your new bike. I would definitely play with the brake sensitivity until you find the right balance that works for you. It's a little unnerving as I've always had it set at 100%, just like you , on my ST5; but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
As far as the ride feel, I agree with your initial assessment but I suspect that the increase in power and torque is mainly there to compensate for the added mass of the bike.
How's that Thule bike rack thing handling the weight and did you manage to get it up there by yourself?
The first batch of Dark Platinum models has been delivered to dealer in the Netherlands which ,hopefully means mine will arrive within the next week or two. Excited!

338430263_779905056826959_7034840330515019568_n.jpg

Looking forward to your in depth review ;). Safe Riding.

Last edited:
I got my ST7 yesterday, and to address the issue you mention about the motor cable being eroded by the brake rotor, my dealer used a zip tie to hold the cable against the frame and away from the rotor. Even with the (ugly!) zip tie, the cable is still dangerously close to the rotor.

I would add another item to your list: on my first ride with my ST7 I had a pedal strike while going around a turn I’ve made a hundred times with my ST5. I’ve never experienced a pedal strike with my ST5, even after nearly 4,000 miles of riding it, and on my first ST7 ride, there it was. I measured the clearance on both bikes when I got home, and sure enough, the ST7’s pedal is a half inch closer to the ground than the ST5.
As far as I know all Stromers are delivered with a side mirror as they are mandatory in Europe. In any case I've already purchased a different one as I find that the ones that fit on the ends of the handlebars widen too much the bike and are a nuisance when rolling the bike into my garage.
oh bummer. I hope you weren't injured and more importantly that the bike is unscathed! ( kidding of course...😉)

Hey Abe ! Congrats on your new bike. I would definitely play with the brake sensitivity until you find the right balance that works for you. It's a little unnerving as I've always had it set at 100%, just like you , on my ST5; but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
As far as the ride feel, I agree with your initial assessment but I suspect that the increase in power and torque is mainly there to compensate for the added mass of the bike.
How's that Thule bike rack thing handling the weight and did you manage to get it up there by yourself?
The first batch of Dark Platinum models has been delivered to dealer in the Netherlands which ,hopefully means mine will arrive within the next week or two. Excited!

View attachment 150466

Looking forward to your in depth review ;). Safe Riding.
Thanks, Petro - yes, I’ll try adjusting the brake sensitivity and hopefully that will work. Just as you would expect, as soon as I got my bike home it started raining and hasn’t stopped for two days. I’m planning to do a 30-mile ride tomorrow to really put the bike to work!

The Thule worked great, though to be safe I removed the battery (about 20 lbs of weight) from the bike. Tomorrow we’ll load it up with my ST7 and my wife’s Riese & Mueller Homage. Even with all the batteries removed those bikes will be pushing the max weight on that Thule. I need to start researching alternatives to the Thule that can handle more weight. I found this so far:

Enjoy your dark platinum bike when it arrives. I look forward to your thoughts on it.

Thanks, Petro - yes, I’ll try adjusting the brake sensitivity and hopefully that will work. Just as you would expect, as soon as I got my bike home it started raining and hasn’t stopped for two days. I’m planning to do a 30-mile ride tomorrow to really put the bike to work!

The Thule worked great, though to be safe I removed the battery (about 20 lbs of weight) from the bike. Tomorrow we’ll load it up with my ST7 and my wife’s Riese & Mueller Homage. Even with all the batteries removed those bikes will be pushing the max weight on that Thule. I need to start researching alternatives to the Thule that can handle more weight. I found this so far:

Enjoy your dark platinum bike when it arrives. I look forward to your thoughts on it.
Congratulations on your ST7. I cannot wait until mine arrives. I went down the rabbit hole on bike carriers and ended up ordering
https://quikrstuff.com/
It looks like it might be a good option given the weight of the ST7, and it seems to be the least evasive on transporting the bike.

Back