New Origin8 Supercell street tires!

Fatzo

Hello Radrover owners! I just got new street tures installed and my rover looks and rides like a totally different bike! It's like going from a dirt motorcycle to a street motorcycle. Faster accleration as well as top speed. It's smooth and quite riding on paved trails.

Anyone else try different street tires? I have trued the hookworms but didnt like the way it fit on the bike. 20170709_162753.jpg 20170709_162840.jpg 20170709_162828.jpg 20170709_162814.jpg 20170708_104254.jpg 20170708_104333.jpg

Hello Radrover owners! I just got new street tures installed and my rover looks and rides like a totally different bike! It's like going from a dirt motorcycle to a street motorcycle. Faster accleration as well as top speed. It's smooth and quite riding on paved trails.

Anyone else try different street tires? I have trued the hookworms but didnt like the way it fit on the bike. View attachment 17379 View attachment 17380 View attachment 17381 View attachment 17382 View attachment 17383 View attachment 17384
Happy to read this. I just ordered a pair for my fat bike.

Ride safe.

I have a set of these. I have not mounted them yet as the stock Kendas are still so new. Are they the exact size of the stock Kendas once mounted?

Thanks

I waited until my Kenda wore down before switching to Vee8 120 tpi. I still do about 50/50 mix of paved/trail riding and the Vee8 split the difference. You don't realize how much the Kenda drag until you upgrade the tires. I have faster acceleration, higher cruising speed, less noise, and higher top speed with the Vee8. I find myself using lower PAS levels between 3-4 when work commuting instead of PAS levels of 4-5 with the Kenda. Seems like I pick out a lot less goathead thorns and no wet spots from tire sealant from the Vee8 because of all the extra knobby.

It might be worth changing over to the Origin8 during the summer and save the Kenda when the weather gets bad in the fall/winter.

I've got the Hookworms. Wish I would have tried these instead as the hookworms lower the bike to the point where I scrape the pedal on leans sometimes.

I've gotten used to it but these seem to look better. We will see how it goes. once I get a flat, I will switch to these.

Does the ride height change at all?

My guess is the height should be very close to the same, 26 x 4, same size but smoother. So maybe a tad lower, quarter to half inch max. IMHO.

I waited until my Kenda wore down before switching to Vee8 120 tpi. I still do about 50/50 mix of paved/trail riding and the Vee8 split the difference. You don't realize how much the Kenda drag until you upgrade the tires. I have faster acceleration, higher cruising speed, less noise, and higher top speed with the Vee8. I find myself using lower PAS levels between 3-4 when work commuting instead of PAS levels of 4-5 with the Kenda. Seems like I pick out a lot less goathead thorns and no wet spots from tire sealant from the Vee8 because of all the extra knobby.

It might be worth changing over to the Origin8 during the summer and save the Kenda when the weather gets bad in the fall/winter.

:( I totally agree with Kendas being a huge drag but they are fun to ride with on hard packed trails and other off road. Most of my current commute is on paved trails so no need for the kendas. Maybe the kendas or brand new Vee8s will be on during the winter here in Denver :)

I've got the Hookworms. Wish I would have tried these instead as the hookworms lower the bike to the point where I scrape the pedal on leans sometimes.

I've gotten used to it but these seem to look better. We will see how it goes. once I get a flat, I will switch to these.

Does the ride height change at all?

I tried hookworms at first but the shop tech advised me to get larger tires. It also looked way too low and didnt match the body well. I do hope maxxis decided to make them in larger sizes.

The ride height is the same :)

Anyone else try different street tires? I have trued the hookworms but didnt like the way it fit on the bike. View attachment 17379 View attachment 17380 View attachment 17381 View attachment 17382 View attachment 17383 View attachment 17384
Yes the Duros that I mentioned on this forum a few times did the same thing.

Did you go with the 30 TPI or the 120 TPI option on the Supercells? From what I've read, the lower the TPI count the better the puncture resistance. Are you still happy with these? Thanks.

I just put 100 miles or so on a set of 30 tpi Origin 8's. Self steering is an issue for sure, but with careful psi tuning you can get most of it out. 20 psi is max you can put in them. I'm 300lbs, and found 17psi front and back worked pretty good. Pretty sure most won't need that much pressure....

That said, this morning I switched the 26x4 Origin 8's for some 26x3 Kenda Flames, another street tire, using the same rims the origin 8's were using. They look great! First 10 mile impression is MUCH better for my purposes. Running 25psi in front and 30psi in back (40 psi max), rolling resistance difference is very noticeable. I can run a gear higher than I was able to with the Origin 8's. Ride over rough surfaces is still very good (compared to 26x2 bikes), with no apparent self steering at all. I have not tried flotation/deep sand handling with the Flames. -Al

Hard to find, but they're out there. I found these guys recently. Seems to be a good place to shop -

I would not deal with the folks that sold me the Origin 8's again. 2 months to get them from Philadelphia to Detroit became pretty annoying. Their only excuse was "well you ordered them with standard freight" with no mention there was no other way offered. Even though the tracking showed no movement from the day they shipped them, it took over 6 weeks for the seller to do something about it (call the local Post Office).

My source for Kenda Flame -

-Al

hi I put a pair on my radrover step-thru an love them! have over 800miles so far on them.

My bet, from a practical standpoint is not much. Could be a different compound or TPI for instance, but it wuld be no surprise here if the biggest difference being the name on the sidewall.

Origin8 Supercell is the Sandstorm rebranded. Origin8 really doesn't make any product that I'm aware of, they rebrand and sell.

Back