New member from Indianapolis

Terry317

So far I haven’t been able to lock onto my requirements. I think I want a class 3 just so getting to 20 is easier and may want to go faster at times, but perhaps class 1 would be sufficient. I did ride a Trek Verve, which while nice seemed a bit weak. Also suspension fork seems like a good thing, but not sure how needed. I ride a Giant Revel that has suspension fork, but not sure what it would be like without it. Also a step through while not necessary now maybe needed in the future. I liked the Giant Quick E, but no step through. Specialized Vado & Como are both nice rides, but Bosch maybe a better more reliable system.
So I remain up in the air.

Welcome to the forum, Terry. Choosing a bike is really tough (at least it was for me) but this forum is a pretty good resource. Just want to point out something that is often said around here, and that choosing a good dealer is almost as important as choosing the right bike. Because you *will* need adjustments, repairs, parts, etc. and without a good dealer it would be tough.

Best of luck!

Thanks, I agree that local support is important. I am ruling out a number of good options since there are no local bike shops that carry them. Trek, Electra, Giant and Specialized are the big three around here. There are a few others I still need to look into.

Terry, I'm just south of you :) Welcome. I had a similar struggle and think I'm going with the Como Turbo 3.

I had a good experience with a shop in Plainfield but I think they are pretty stuck with those above.There is a Pedego in Carmel but I was amazed with the Specialized one and since we have a local dealer here, I think I will be safer. Carmel is a good 90 minutes north which is just too far. You, thankfully, have a few more options!

So far the Como Tubo is the most comfortable I have ridden. I didn’t like the way the Pedego’s felt, not like a normal bike. Also only 20 mph. It’s interesting the Vado Tubo is cheaper at the 3 level, but when you move to the 4 it switches. Could buy the Vado Tubo 3, add comfort seat & post and be at cost of Como 3 and have front suspension.

Congrats on choosing to research an ebike.
Lots of info on these forums but whatever you choose it will be right for your needs.
Test riding alot will help narrow down your needs.
My two cents: all of those brands you identified make wonderful, reliable machines. And I also am a proponent of having the support of a bike shop.
Looking forward to a photo you whatever you decide.

So far the Como Tubo is the most comfortable I have ridden. I didn’t like the way the Pedego’s felt, not like a normal bike. Also only 20 mph. It’s interesting the Vado Tubo is cheaper at the 3 level, but when you move to the 4 it switches. Could buy the Vado Tubo 3, add comfort seat & post and be at cost of Como 3 and have front suspension.

I didn't like the vado geometry as much but it depends on how you feel. I'm short in the torso and it made me feel like I was riding in an odd position. They both feel very solid and well-made, though. Saw the trek verve and it wasn't for me. Also, they didn't have the frame that would fit me best (no one has a small!). The Alliants seemed like a better choice but at a much higher price point for similar components. Again, I couldn't find a way to try one in my size but my mom did for me and said she likes the Specialized better. She is, like me, a road cyclist primarily and is quite tall.

Back