NEW - Lightweight, Strong and Easily Storable Dual Bike Rack (with or without a lift)

Jenz

I've written here before about the MoTow Hitch Lift which lets you raise and lower your hitch mounted bike rack https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-road-try-the-motow-great-for-suvs-rvs.31126/

I've enjoyed using the product (saves my back) lifting heavy Ebikes onto my bike rack.

The same company has just come out with a Stainless Steel Dual Bike Rack that can be used alone or along with their Hitch Lift.

The best part, you can store the rack right in your trunk when not in use. Weighs about 27 pounds and doesn't require any tools to put together.

The rack can be used alone or in conjunction with their Hitch Lift which will allow you to lower the rack to the ground, easily load your bikes, and then raise them for transport.

Not affiliated with Motow, just a satisfied customer who appreciates good products, good people and good service.

Last edited:
Any concerns about the bikes being so far out from the vehicle in terms of tongue weight, or dragging on the ground?

See this photo on their web site:

bikesrack.jpeg

My current bike rack (and older Saris) already has trouble on the hilly roads on which I'm often driving - I've scraped it more than once. Going even further out from the vehicle without being able to raise significantly higher would be a problem for me.

I just ordered the hitch lift with integrated pivot to use with existing Yakima Evo 2 bike tray mount. Equally concerned about weight overhang stress and “rack tail dragging”. I
will post observations in forum when order received.

Hello, thanks for your comments. In the above picture of our Hitch Lift and eBike Rack, the distance from the face of the hitch to the end of the bike wheel support is 19”, the vehicle hitch height is 16” and the bottom wheel height is 18” from the ground. At 10” minimum hitch height to use our Hitch Lift, the bottom wheel height will be 12” with our eBike Rack. 3rd party racks may need some modification to work with our Hitch Lift to enable loading from the ground—some have an L bracket to raise the bike up which isn’t needed with our lift. Height will also vary depending on cargo load, vehicle rear suspension. We’ve already given some thought to raising the height an additional 2” and can custom build a Hitch Lift for a customer’s need. Thanks again.

I find it frustrating that one of the most important aspects, to me anyway, is that the side view of the rack, which shows ground clearance, is almost never directly depicted in sales brochures or reviews.

Here's an exception, from a review of the Thule T2 Pro in 2016:
Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 7.26.27 PM.png

Note that I'm not recommending this rack. It has a 60lb per bike weight limit and it weighs over 50 lbs itself.

But, it does have a ground clearance design that I appreciate - the lower arm only extends about a foot and then the rest of the rack is higher. That means it's less likely to drag on the ground, which as I said, has been a problem with my old Saris rack:

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 7.38.25 PM.png

Again, couldn't find a side view picture. I'd take one myself, but it's dark outside right now. Anyway, I hope you can see, below the red reflector (which is just tape), there's a handle with two semi-circular arrows on it. That's what you use to tighten the rack to the hitch. It all works fine, but that handle extends pretty far from the hitch at the same height as the hitch, and I've dragged in on the ground even when mounted to my Ridgeline, which does not have a low hitch (higher than most cars anyway).

Maybe I'm unique in driving up and down hills, but somehow I don't think so....

EDIT: I just measured and the handle extends 18" from the end of the hitch receiver. So, I'd want something closer to a 12" extension at most at hitch height, maybe less if I were mounting to a lower hitch receiver, like on a regular car.

Last edited:
I find it frustrating that one of the most important aspects, to me anyway, is that the side view of the rack, which shows ground clearance, is almost never directly depicted in sales brochures or reviews.

Here's an exception, from a review of the Thule T2 Pro in 2016:
View attachment 43621

Note that I'm not recommending this rack. It has a 60lb per bike weight limit and it weighs over 50 lbs itself.

But, it does have a ground clearance design that I appreciate - the lower arm only extends about a foot and then the rest of the rack is higher. That means it's less likely to drag on the ground, which as I said, has been a problem with my old Saris rack:

View attachment 43623

Again, couldn't find a side view picture. I'd take one myself, but it's dark outside right now. Anyway, I hope you can see, below the red reflector (which is just tape), there's a handle with two semi-circular arrows on it. That's what you use to tighten the rack to the hitch. It all works fine, but that handle extends pretty far from the hitch at the same height as the hitch, and I've dragged in on the ground even when mounted to my Ridgeline, which does not have a low hitch (higher than most cars anyway).

Maybe I'm unique in driving up and down hills, but somehow I don't think so....

EDIT: I just measured and the handle extends 18" from the end of the hitch receiver. So, I'd want something closer to a 12" extension at most at hitch height, maybe less if I were mounting to a lower hitch receiver, like on a regular car.

Raised receiver adapters offer added leeway to low clearance compact cars such as my Honda Fit with my Yakima Evo Rack. I have experienced no problems "bottoming out" with such a setup.
Design utilizing REMOVABLE struts to hold Bike looks adequate but there maybe issues of theft, vandalism; we know is now a part of our society unfortunately. Perhaps one will need to collapse rack and stow or be exposed to vandalism. Locking pins should be designed to prevent disassembly.

I agree with you because your hitch receiver extends outside your bumper, unlike some which are flush to or recessed inside the bumper. We can accommodate your situation if you are interested. 15-1/2” from the face of your hitch is the minimum if you use the Hitch Lift, to allow the Hitch Lift to tilt down and the eBike base to tilt up. See picture attached. Without the Hitch Lift the eBike rack alone can be from 10” to 12” as long as you clear the handlebar of the bike.

Attachments

• 915AE1FB-1405-4275-AF4E-5CBD99C32C8D.jpeg
    915AE1FB-1405-4275-AF4E-5CBD99C32C8D.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 426
The biggest problem I find with most heavy duty two-bike racks is that there isn't enough spacing between two bikes.
Hi our bike rack accommodates tire rims 1 to 3.5” with cradle center to center measurement of 9.5”. There is enough space for 2 fat tire bikes and with the movement free design will not touch during transport.

Attachments

• 50E8798E-0D3F-4321-BE60-A1178F8B1585.jpeg
    50E8798E-0D3F-4321-BE60-A1178F8B1585.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 468
Here are 2 new reviews about our Double eBike carrier 200 lb. load limit, 1-1/4" receiver available) and Motorized Hitch Lift 300 lb. load limit. All of our products are Made in the USA:

from a RAD Power eBike customer at https://motowus.com/product/double-ebike-bike-carrier/

"We just traveled 2000 highway miles with this bike carrier holding our 2 Rad Power Ebikes on our Class B van. It was easy to attach the bikes and they felt super stabile on the rise. Very little movement even at highway speeds. We also purchased the hitch lift....Amazing!"

from a Motorized Hitch Lift customer, https://motowus.com/product/motow-hitch-lift-motorized/

"The quality of their products is amazing. I worked in the aircraft industry for 30 years and the welding, material selection and design equals standards used for aircraft.
My left hand was injured a while back leaving me with low grip strength. Since upgrading to an electric bike, I found loading to be quite difficult and their powered lift is the perfect solution. Easy to install, connect to the trailer connector and I’m ready to go.
Their customer service meets a new standard for excellence. Responsive order system and quick responses to customer questions."

Last edited:
Back