NEW Juiced Models: Rip Current, and Cross Current X; Tariff Pricing Announced

I just asked Juiced to see if CCX speed controller can be used for CC.
They said no, because the CCX will have larger motor.

But I know CCS speed controller can be used for CC because they share very similar motor and CC motor can handle CCS speed controller no problem.

I'm guessing the CCX motor is more similar to RCS?
I honestly don't get what the motor would have to do with the controller. Controller is a 25 amp controller. The CCS is a 20. That's not a huge difference. Maybe I'm wrong though. I understand the possibility of it being too big in terms of its dimensions, because of the bigger down tube on the CCX.

regardless, I was hoping to get my ccs and be somewhat future-proof with Juiced and take advantage of upgrades, but I guess not. Kind of disappointed honestly. This is my second Juiced bike after getting hosed on the first crosscurrent which I can't even upgrade unless I get a bigger battery for it.

Thankfully my CCS has enough power and features for it's price, I also have had no issues with it. I just won't be dealing with Juiced in the future or recommending them to people who like to keep up with their tech. They keep radically designing their bikes to make the previous ones obsolete. I understand the technology in the ebikes has advanced, but it's not this rapid to make these decisions and leave the previous ones in the dust.

Even the old Juiced bikes are far more powerful than whatever else you can get right now from other firms for a similar price. You made the best choice possible.

Juiced is not going to hold back future design for a tiny fraction of consumers who want reverse compatibility for new parts - parts that if changed would probably good the warranty anyhow (ie not tires or chains). That would damage their brand far more.

It looks like the Rip Current S (wide downtube format) is using the same controller as the CCS. So the CCX controller may end up fitting in the CC/CCS frame. Just depends on whether they make it wider or not. TBH, I’ll probably just order the 20A controller when it’s back in stock. I’m not sure it’s worth waiting several months for the 25A controller to be sold separately (and to find out whether or not it will work.) There could possibly be changes in the wiring/connectors that don’t allow plug-n-play swaps.

The RCS has 750W motor, and you're saying that the RCS and CCS have identical speed controller?

I thought what determines the power was speed controller? Also the RCS has physically different looking motor than the CCS.

There is no separate speed controller. It’s just the controller that controls the power going to the motor. Not positive if the RCS uses the exact same controller but it has the same nominal and peak power ratings as the CCS controller and obviously the same torque/cadence sensor. Mainly I was just pointing out that the wider downtube on the CCX doesn’t necessarily mean that its controller won’t fit the CC/CCS downtube. The RCS motor is different because the dropouts and flange spacing on the motor are wider to fit the fat tires.

Last edited:
I don’t know for sure but without it the larger battery packs stick out more on the left side of the frame (I have the 17.4ah battery on my CC). My guess is they will update the frame to include the wider symmetrical downtube mount for the large battery pack like on the RCS.

It’s impossible to make a comment or assist without real data. Post the controller stats and motor models and we can help sort the facts. Generalities get nowhere.

CCX-Red-Iso-Right-(1500px).jpg

Even the old Juiced bikes are far more powerful than whatever else you can get right now from other firms for a similar price. You made the best choice possible.

Juiced is not going to hold back future design for a tiny fraction of consumers who want reverse compatibility for new parts - parts that if changed would probably good the warranty anyhow (ie not tires or chains). That would damage their brand far more.

I agree. The value behind these bikes is nice. I love my CCS, and when guests come by they love the old CC. I'm just hoping that 2 years down the line if I have a controller issue I'm not stuck with a discontinued controller that I can't buy a replacement for because it's an older generation product. Hopefully that isn't the case and they will continue to have the parts in the future. If you look under their parts right now, they have a narrow tube and a wide tube selection for the replacement locking device for the battery.

Without even looking at the spec sheet, the down tube does look thicker... was this to add more rigidity to the frame or to fit the larger speed controller?

Externally, the motor does look more similar to CC/CCS than RCS though..

Definitely a new down tube - wires are hidden in an apparent channel...nice.

The RCS has the same wire channel. The main reason they widened the downtube was so that the bigger batteries fit flush on the downtube instead of sticking out more on the left side on the CC and CCS.

@Tora Harris can you comment about upgrading the CC or CCS with the CCX controller?

I’d take “firmware upgrade” with a grain of salt. I don’t recall seeing any bike from Juiced that had a subsequent firmware update after initial release.

Regarding the CCSx controller output power, 1300w is a ton of power for a controller that has almost no way dissipating heat. I’m betting that the controller is stuffed into the downtube cavity with no air space around it and no way for any cool air to enter the compartment. The only air that’s entering is from the hole that all of the cables pass through.

I think the thing to remember is the common enemy of any ebike system is heat. Failure to shed heat will kill any major component. Too high of a upper wattage limit will cook the controller, stress the battery with a high amp load, and in turn cause the motor windings to heat up. The bike will run 1300w, but for how long and how will it effect reliability?

They keep radically designing their bikes to make the previous ones obsolete.
I have to disagree. They redesign their bikes to make them better, not to make former models obsolete. If auto manufacturers didn't do this, they'd be out of business. Who could sell a car with a carburetor, points and distributer in the current era? No one with a 1972 Impala screams at Chevy because they can't upgrade to EFI. I'd love to have the CCX but I'm not going to gripe about owning a CCS that is a joy to ride.

Without even looking at the spec sheet, the down tube does look thicker... was this to add more rigidity to the frame or to fit the larger speed controller?

Externally, the motor does look more similar to CC/CCS than RCS though..
There's a video on JB's website that IIRC says it's wider for the wider battery.

I agree with Bruce. I’d like to see another example of an OEM torque sensing e-bike that can be upgraded after purchase. Cadence-sensing bikes are a non-starter for me personally. We’ve already established that the original Cross Current can be upgraded with the CCS controller/display to bump the power by 50%.

I have to disagree. They redesign their bikes to make them better, not to make former models obsolete. If auto manufacturers didn't do this, they'd be out of business. Who could sell a car with a carburetor, points and distributer in the current era? No one with a 1972 Impala screams at Chevy because they can't upgrade to EFI. I'd love to have the CCX but I'm not going to gripe about owning a CCS that is a joy to ride.

That's kind of a poor comparison. Automotive manufacturers don't redesign their vehicles every year, there is a few years of using the same everything. They do them in generations. The Impala for example is on its 10th Generation. I'm sure a piece of equipment from a 73 Impala would be identical to the same piece in a 74, but radically different from a 1980 model. Which is understandable. I'm not saying I'm not happy with my CCS but to see a version that has a whole different sized controller makes you wonder what happens down the pipeline when you need a new controller for your CCS, but they're discontinued because the new ones don't fit your old frame. I'm sure they have a backstock of replacement controllers that would fit the CCS, but eventually they will discontinue it. That's all I'm worried about.

Back