NEW Juiced Models: Rip Current, and Cross Current X; Tariff Pricing Announced

This kind of thing happens in cars and motorcycle industry as well.

Toyota Supra for example, was rated at 320hp but it was known to be relatively easy to get 1,000hp. And it was back in early 90s.
So why didn't Toyota just give 1,000hp from factory if it was technologically possible?
I'm guessing it had to do with the regulations, emission, warranty, reliability, and so on.

Same with muscle cars too. The 5.0L V8 Mustang was only rated at 225hp. So why didn't Ford just put Edelbrock V8 with gigantic supercharger? I'm assuming because of the same reasons too.

Yeah I could see enormously more horsepower creating issues as you mentioned... But the change here seems way more incremental, and the existing part supply adequate to meet the increased power.

And it's not like old pedal bikes can't take going 25-30 mph.

Especially with a hub drive, where you're not putting lots of torque on the chain. I just figure if enthusiasts can eke out a couple more volts (not 72V) and make it work for a couple years, I don't get why getting it into production bikes is that hard.

The Apex came out in 2017, but

Yeah is the Apex a production bike, or more of a built by hand affair?

:)
Yeah, I know what you mean. All I'm saying is that the 52v has been around for a while and there's a reason it hasn't been used in a production bike and that would be a matter of efficiency and the fact that it's a waste in a bike that is supposed to be legal for the streets.

The Apex came out in 2017, but

Yeah is the Apex a production bike, or more of a built by hand affair?

:)
Nothing wrong with trying to bring it back to the U.S.A. you have to start somewhere. I would much rather have a "built by hand affair" than assembly line in China. Right now Luna is so backed up with orders for the apex they can't keep up. Sound familiar? Supposedly the frame is an in house design but I'm not sure about that. I'm not a big freaking Luna fan but I like the idea behind them j.s.

Yeah, I know what you mean. All I'm saying is that the 52v has been around for a while and there's a reason it hasn't been used in a production bike and that would be a matter of efficiency and the fact that it's a waste in a bike that is supposed to be legal for the streets.

The power noticeably flags at 50% on the CCS, even (or especially) if you're on Eco doing 25 mph, as I usually am.

I think the fact that it is illegal to ride high powered ebike on public road makes it less demanding from the consumers.

High powered ebikes can be road legal with 1.5-3 kw, under moped rules, depending on the state. Couple extra hoops to go through, depending on the state, but it's not illegal, as long as the top speed is 30 mph.

This is an extremely common misconception - it's like saying handguns are illegal because you have to get a handgun license...

In fact, I was wrong earlier about Juiced being the only one to a do production ebike with 52V, sort of... Genze does it with its e-scooter, which is categorized as a motorized bicycle or moped under current California law - if it has a top speed of 30 mph, max power of 4 hp, and (has pedals OR is electric), then it's a motorized bike.

https://www.genze.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/GenZe-2.0-Owner-Manual.pdf

Sorry but I believe that Luna was the first to introduce the 52v in a bike. I believe it's called the apex. They also put it on other bikes but I wouldn't call them production bikes. Luna has had the 52v out for a while.
EM3ev sold 52v before Luna made their first sale. EM3 tends to be more accurate in rating power and have long called a 14S, 50v.

Nothing wrong with trying to bring it back to the U.S.A. you have to start somewhere. I would much rather have a "built by hand affair" than assembly line in China. Right now Luna is so backed up with orders for the apex they can't keep up. Sound familiar? Supposedly the frame is an in house design but I'm not sure about that. I'm not a big freaking Luna fan but I like the idea behind them j.s.
All claims need to be taken with a grain of salt. There’s an obvious over exaggerated intro on nearly every product.

I have been wondering why EBR does not have Luna cycle specific forum,
The owner is often banned or soon gets banned from forums for being a nasty piece of work. Does not play nice with others.

The owner is often banned or soon gets banned from forums for being a nasty piece of work. Does not play nice with others.
Yeah, he's not much of a "people person" but I still like what he's trying to do and he gets bashed a lot. I have never had a problem with him, just good business and I appreciate that. There are people in this business that deserve the bashing more, but we won't go there. Can I say that????.

According to Juiced I can upgrade my original Cross Current to the CCS power level (20 amps peak) by upgrading to the CCS controller and LCD display. I’m planning to do that when the parts are back in stock. I’d love to see one other example of an OEM torque sensing e-bike brand that can be upgraded to a higher power level after it is purchased.

Can the original CC be upgraded to the CCX?

Not sure, you can open a support ticket and ask. I suspect not if they are using the wider RCS downtube format on the CCX. The controller probably wouldn’t fit in the narrower downtube of the CC/CCS. Honestly, I think I’ll be happy with 1000W after living with 600-700W for over 2 years.

According to Juiced I can upgrade my original Cross Current to the CCS power level (20 amps peak) by upgrading to the CCS controller and LCD display. I’m planning to do that when the parts are back in stock. I’d love to see one other example of an OEM torque sensing e-bike brand that can be upgraded to a higher power level after it is purchased.
I wonder if I can do this with my gen1 Air? hmmmmm...

Darn ifjuiced isn’t partnered wit the worst parts supply chain. Bafang. I love their mids, respect theirgeared, but fail to understand why they deny supply the parts and repair market. These motors are sustainable and repairable but Bafang makes them nearly throw away. Maybe that’s ok for a passing fad, butever so dissapointing for a daily rider.

I believe that if you're upgrading the controller to be the same as the CCS it's recommend you have the larger battery. 12.8 and above. It's mentioned here.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

This is partly why I just went with getting a whole new CCS when I really want to upgrade my CC. The price of the battery plus the kit. Then you're not including the light the rack the fenders the new spokes. It's almost a better deal just to get a whole new bike.

But now this is happening again with the CCX. If the controller isn't able to fit in a CCS, I'll just stick with my CCS. I'm happy enough with it. I'm not going to go and buy another bike again. I'd like to get a 52 volt battery. But I don't want to spend $1200 bucks on Juiced's only option at the moment which is a 19 amp hour one. I do get around 40 miles until 20% on level one with my 12.8 which isn't bad at all. Level 1 and peddling at about 24 miles per hour.

I believe that if you're upgrading the controller to be the same as the CCS it's recommend you have the larger battery. 12.8 and above. It's mentioned here.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

This is partly why I just went with getting a whole new CCS when I really want to upgrade my CC. The price of the battery plus the kit. Then you're not including the light the rack the fenders the new spokes. It's almost a better deal just to get a whole new bike.

But now this is happening again with the CCX. If the controller isn't able to fit in a CCS, I'll just stick with my CCS. I'm happy enough with it. I'm not going to go and buy another bike again. I'd like to get a 52 volt battery. But I don't want to spend $1200 bucks on Juiced's only option at the moment which is a 19 amp hour one. I do get around 40 miles until 20% on level one with my 12.8 which isn't bad at all. Level 1 and peddling at about 24 miles per hour.

I did meet a ebike mechanic who said as much, that a lot of early juiced bikes fried their electronics because the motor was too powerful for the small battery, less than 12.8 ah.

Back