New High Torque IGH announced by 3x3

Thanks for sharing! I am also early adopter of Kindernay VII and my first one failed after about 8 month (and ~1800 miles on it), but they did replace it for me (was lucky to get the replacement before they got into troubles and stop selling stuff) and replacement is currently in use for 16 months, having ~3200 miles on it and still working fine (hopefully it will stay like this for some time, but new hub still leaks oil). As a hub, 3x3 looks more superior to Kindernay - no questions, but how do you like shifter? I used bikes with Shimano Nexus and Envoilo before and familiar with this type of shifters, but once I tried Kindernay shifter, I don't want go back to rotating one - I so much in favor of trigger shifting especially hydraulic ones. What is you experience? You like it more or less than trigger shifter by Kindernay? Are you going to change to electric once available?
I did prefer the trigger shift, but am getting used to the rotary. Once the electric shift is available I will try it. The hub shifts easily with no load, but under a slight load gets sticky so shift detection would be of benefit.

The hub shifts easily with no load, but under a slight load gets sticky so shift detection would be of benefit.
This is quite common for IGH - none of the hubs allows you to shift easily under the load. Electronic shifters potentially allows shift detection to be used (I think Rohloff/Bosch combo offers it - correct me here if I am wrong). Do you have any info about their electronic shifting implementation? Like supported motors, power source, multi-gear shift support?

My Kindernay will shift under load, but it doesn't like it. It was a bit of a learning curve, but I now pause my pedalling when I shift.

Merlin, can you share us a coy of the owners manual pdf for the 3X3 Nine?
No owners manual is available that I can see. There is no maintenance, no oil changes, and VPL.Bike has all the necessary parts for a conversion. They will even do the wheel build at a cost. I have put it through the paces over 300 miles of riding, and it is operating superbly.

Back