New Drop - First Impressions

rcode3

Region
USA
Just got my Drop. As there do not appear to be too many user reviews on Dost, I thought I'd post my first impressions. Here it is (without the battery as it was charging in the house), the Dost panniers (which are nice), some trunk bag I had previously, and generic water bottle holder I already had.
image1.jpeg

About My E-bike Experience​

This is not my first e-bike. I've been using a Kona Dew E for about a year. I commute to work on it about 3 days a week, a commute which is 12.5 miles each way. About a mile of that is on suburban streets and the rest on a paved bike path called the Washington & Old Dominion trail in Northern Virginia. That trail goes from the suburbs towards the Potomac River, and my morning ride is more downhill than up while my evening commute can be a bit challenging on a regular bike. I have been doing this commute in the summer heat and now that cold weather has come, in weather just above freezing.

Assembly​

Putting the bike together was easy, especially if you have watched the Dost videos on YouTube. Just straighten the handlebars and tighten them, then put on the pedals with the included wrench. The kit came with some lock washers, but I have no idea what they are for and didn't use them.

Initial Observations​

The bike is heavier than it looks. I hadn't really given that much thought, nor had I realized the tires are a bit wider than a typical commuting bike. Both of those things give it different handling that make it feel less nimble.

The brakes seem a bit soft, and, for me, might need to be adjusted to have a shorter pull as gripping them with gloves is somewhat of a stretch. Also, the brakes seem to make a weird vibration noise when engaged at speed. I've got a support request into Does on the brakes. They aren't unusable by any stretch, but just not as good as I would have expected.

The rear cargo rack is awesome. With the rack on my Kona, I had given up on using the trunk bag because it moved about so much that it was distracting... not to mention in the way of panniers. The Dost rack's simple side drop bars make using a trunk bag with panniers simple. It also gives me confidence that it won't fall off.

A First Test Ride​

After a couple of jaunts up and down the block, I decided to let the battery fully charge over night and take it half way to work and back. The ride was much more comfortable than my Kona, to be expected as I was much more upright and the Drop has bigger tires. At the end of the ride I did not have the usual tingling in my palms from putting a good bit of my weight on the handlebars. I also noticed the muscles in my upper shoulders were burning a little, letting me know that the sitting position is much changed from that which I am accustomed.

On the return portion, which is more uphill, I put the pedal assist up to 6 and noticed in some spots I was hitting 24mph. To compare with my Kona, at it's highest assist (5) I usually hit a max of 18mph. So this thing will move. Upon return, I had 45% of the battery, which is a bit of a concern for my commute if I intend to ride with speed. I'll be taking the charger with me just to be safe when I start using the bike in a real commute.

Now, my Kona has a Bosch motor with cadence and torque sensors and the Dost only a cadence sensor. So the Dost has a bit of a lag compared to the Kona, especially when you have a commute such as mine that requires braking and working the gears. And because the Dost is heavier, my mental notes of when to use which gears need to be adjusted. But none of that is off-putting to me. My commute is a lot of muscle memory, and working gears and braking and accelerating... so for people with more pleasant cycling this shouldn't be a problem at all.

More Later​

I'll see how this goes... and check back in after I have a good bit more miles on the bike. Happy cycling, all!

Just got my Drop. As there do not appear to be too many user reviews on Dost, I thought I'd post my first impressions. Here it is (without the battery as it was charging in the house), the Dost panniers (which are nice), some trunk bag I had previously, and generic water bottle holder I already had.
View attachment 108213

This is not my first e-bike. I've been using a Kona Dew E for about a year. I commute to work on it about 3 days a week, a commute which is 12.5 miles each way. About a mile of that is on suburban streets and the rest on a paved bike path called the Washington & Old Dominion trail in Northern Virginia. That trail goes from the suburbs towards the Potomac River, and my morning ride is more downhill than up while my evening commute can be a bit challenging on a regular bike. I have been doing this commute in the summer heat and now that cold weather has come, in weather just above freezing.

Assembly​

Putting the bike together was easy, especially if you have watched the Dost videos on YouTube. Just straighten the handlebars and tighten them, then put on the pedals with the included wrench. The kit came with some lock washers, but I have no idea what they are for and didn't use them.

Initial Observations​

The bike is heavier than it looks. I hadn't really given that much thought, nor had I realized the tires are a bit wider than a typical commuting bike. Both of those things give it different handling that make it feel less nimble.

The brakes seem a bit soft, and, for me, might need to be adjusted to have a shorter pull as gripping them with gloves is somewhat of a stretch. Also, the brakes seem to make a weird vibration noise when engaged at speed. I've got a support request into Does on the brakes. They aren't unusable by any stretch, but just not as good as I would have expected.

The rear cargo rack is awesome. With the rack on my Kona, I had given up on using the trunk bag because it moved about so much that it was distracting... not to mention in the way of panniers. The Dost rack's simple side drop bars make using a trunk bag with panniers simple. It also gives me confidence that it won't fall off.

A First Test Ride​

After a couple of jaunts up and down the block, I decided to let the battery fully charge over night and take it half way to work and back. The ride was much more comfortable than my Kona, to be expected as I was much more upright and the Drop has bigger tires. At the end of the ride I did not have the usual tingling in my palms from putting a good bit of my weight on the handlebars. I also noticed the muscles in my upper shoulders were burning a little, letting me know that the sitting position is much changed from that which I am accustomed.

On the return portion, which is more uphill, I put the pedal assist up to 6 and noticed in some spots I was hitting 24mph. To compare with my Kona, at it's highest assist (5) I usually hit a max of 18mph. So this thing will move. Upon return, I had 45% of the battery, which is a bit of a concern for my commute if I intend to ride with speed. I'll be taking the charger with me just to be safe when I start using the bike in a real commute.

Now, my Kona has a Bosch motor with cadence and torque sensors and the Dost only a cadence sensor. So the Dost has a bit of a lag compared to the Kona, especially when you have a commute such as mine that requires braking and working the gears. And because the Dost is heavier, my mental notes of when to use which gears need to be adjusted. But none of that is off-putting to me. My commute is a lot of muscle memory, and working gears and braking and accelerating... so for people with more pleasant cycling this shouldn't be a problem at all.

More Later​

I'll see how this goes... and check back in after I have a good bit more miles on the bike. Happy cycling, all!
Hi,
As I await my Dost Drop I came across your post and was hoping you could provide a follow up now that you’ve had a few more months on the bike. Also, wondering how tall you are as I am only 5’ 1” and still concerned about the fit. Do you have hills in your area and if so how is the bike handling them?
Thanks,
k

I'm 5'9", but for a Drop I think you should be fine. Be prepared, these are hefty bikes. They are not nimble. We have hills in this area and the bike handles them just fine. Most of my commute back home is uphill, and I am generally going much faster than the rest of the bike traffic going in that direction.

View attachment 108213

Assembly​

Initial Observations​

A First Test Ride​

More Later​

How are you liking the CVT drivetrain compared to old school? Would you buy it again? Does DOST stand behind their warranty? Nice looking bike.

How are you liking the CVT drivetrain compared to old school? Would you buy it again? Does DOST stand behind their warranty? Nice looking bike.

I don't have the CVT. To my knowledge, those will not be hitting the streets until this summer. And the pre-orders are sold out.

To be honest, I've gotten quite use to the old style gears and the motor-cut off mechanism seems to work well enough. On Bosch driven bikes I was taught to quick cranking when shifting to avoid the motor strain. I had to unlearn that behavior, but once I did switching gears is usually workable.

I received my Dost Kope at the end of this past February. It is s my first e-bike and I absolutely love the power and quality of the bike. The customer support I received could not have been better. My bike is chain driven not. CVT.

Attachments

• PXL_20220504_141514586.jpg
    PXL_20220504_141514586.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 229
  • PXL_20220418_144414241.jpg
    PXL_20220418_144414241.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 230
As far as my research goes, this is one of the few bikes that combines upright comfort with higher quality components and design, not to mention 48v huge batteries and 750w/1000v mid-drive power. I must have it. I am buying the Kope Chain in glacial white cuz I need to shift gears like I have since I was ten. They are even offering free shipping now, but currently June 2023 deliveries only. When they sell out, next wave will be September 2023 deliveries. I will F/U with first impressions.

Back