New customized Pedego City Commuter

rod

Well, did my research and test rode a number of Pedego bikes; Stretch, Interceptor and City Commuter before buying the latter in its 26" version. As background, let me explain I am 62, about 315 lbs. and 6' tall. So, old and overweight. I was still riding my mountain bike, pulling my 60 lb dog to and fro to the off-leash park, but it was getting tougher and tougher. I was dreading wind and hills. And, I couldn't keep up with my much fitter wife - always felt like I was holding her back.
I had exchanged a number of emails with Pedego support, (thanks for your patience Josh) and with my local dealers, Julie and Ruby (who were wonderfully helpful) at Pedego Qualicum Beach, BC, focusing on the weight issue. The consensus was I should take a stock Stretch or an Interceptor, with the mag wheel upgrade. Either would give me a 400 lb weight capacity (total of rider and cargo, over and above bike weight) without further modification.
But, in the end I went with the 26" City Commuter because it just felt better than the other two. As well, the mag wheels would fit, increasing the weight capacity. The only change needed was larger fenders to accommodate the wider tires. Although the smaller frame was theoretically too small for me, I compensated with a longer seatpost. I was two heavy for the stock suspension seatpost in any case. In theory, a smaller frame should be stronger. As well, the Commuter would still work on my bike rack, while the other two bikes would require buying another rack.
I did some weighing with me mounted: there is 110 lbs on the front wheel and 270 lbs on the back, without any cargo. This figure includes the bike's weight, about 66 lbs, so I'm well under the 400 lb limit. With regard to cargo, I've always been a fan of lowrider pannier racks for better weight distribution and found the Thule Pack and Pedal works well and standard pannier clips work, which can't be said for the Pedego rack (except for the Stretch). Another product I've added is the Doggyride trailer hitch adapter. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to pull a bike trailer and don't want to hook up to the axle. Pedego doesn't recommend using the axle for trailers.

All in all, I'm quite happy with my bike and looking forward to putting on the kilometres.

I bought the 28" step-thru C.C. in February 2014 and love it, having put on 3,650 miles, so far. How have your first three weeks been on the bike?

So far it's been good. I've only put a couple of hundred kilometres on, but I've really enjoyed being able to keep up with my much fitter and leaner wife on her regular bike. The only issue I've encountered is the trip odometer will not stay zero'ed. As soon as the display is turned off and then turned on, it will display the cumulative odometer distance on the trip display. Pedego has been very cooperative (sending a new display) to rectify this, but the that didn't fix the issue. The next step to to swap out the controller. All in all, I've been happy.

So far it's been good. I've only put a couple of hundred kilometres on, but I've really enjoyed being able to keep up with my much fitter and leaner wife on her regular bike. The only issue I've encountered is the trip odometer will not stay zero'ed. As soon as the display is turned off and then turned on, it will display the cumulative odometer distance on the trip display. Pedego has been very cooperative (sending a new display) to rectify this, but the that didn't fix the issue. The next step to to swap out the controller. All in all, I've been happy.

I believe the cumulative odometer display is the default. When you turn off the battery and turn iy back on again, press the set button twice and the trip display will appear. Press the down button for 3 or 4 seconds and the trip display will clear if that's what you want.

Back