Do you carry an extra battery?

Had I not had my new battery fail, 6 months out, I probably would never have considered carrying a second one on the bike. I ride maybe 35-40 miles per trip max. I normally come in with 3 bars still showing. So, for me, range is no problem. It's knowing I have a backup in case of failure is my main reason for having it. I had 2 years on the first one, so it was about time for a new one anyway. Now, as long as the hub motor stays together I'm good.

My friend’s battery failure was on a brand new Bosch system (Trek bike) - 60 miles old. And it failed at the worst possible time 2 years ago when replacement batteries were either stuck on ships in the Suez Canal or behind 75 other ships at a dock. It took nearly a year before she could ride her new bike again.
The inability of bosch to deliver replacement batteries in under a year is a second reason I will never buy from them. That problem was reported by other posters.
My battery is generic, terminates in XT90 & XT60, which I replaced with dorman crimp connectors. I can buy any other shape & technology 48 v battery of suitable capacity. i can abandon my mount and build another of 1/2" aluminum angle in 2 afternoons with a saw and a drill. $20 for the aluminum. No patented connector. No patented battery form that fits invisibly in the frame. No year wait while I ride a city bus (which doesn't go to half the places I ride my bike to, and when it does, transfers make it slower than walking).

Last edited:
This summer I added a second battery and a rear cargo rack to my bike. The battery is big, 1000 watts, weighing 12 lbs. But so far I really don't notice any difference in performance from the extra weight. Well worth it as I go many miles from help of any kind. Having had one fail and having to peddle this 75 lb. bike up big hills, for miles, is something I never want to do again. As for the extra weight, no problem, I can lose that from my own body to compensate lol. Do you carry a backup for extra miles or for added layer of breakdown protecti
This summer I added a second battery and a rear cargo rack to my bike. The battery is big, 1000 watts, weighing 12 lbs. But so far I really don't notice any difference in performance from the extra weight. Well worth it as I go many miles from help of any kind. Having had one fail and having to peddle this 75 lb. bike up big hills, for miles, is something I never want to do again. As for the extra weight, no problem, I can lose that from my own body to compensate lol. Do you carry a backup for extra miles or for added layer of breakdown protection?
I am only running a 200 watt/hour battery. It is good for 50 miles if I only use it on hills/headwinds. But I am just trying to keep up with my non-electric wife.

The inability of bosch to deliver replacement batteries in under a year is a second reason I will never buy from them. That problem was reported by other posters.
My battery is generic, terminates in XT90 & XT60, which I replaced with dorman crimp connectors. I can buy any other shape & technology 48 v battery of suitable capacity. i can abandon my mount and build another of 1/2" aluminum angle in 2 afternoons with a saw and a drill. $20 for the aluminum. No patented connector. No patented battery form that fits invisibly in the frame. No year wait while I ride a city bus (which doesn't go to half the places I ride my bike to, and when it does, transfers make it slower than walking).
Yikes. A year is totally unacceptable. A month is pushing it.

Aren’t these modular components?

Yikes. A year is totally unacceptable. A month is pushing it.

Aren’t these modular components?
One of the issues relates to Federal and State regulations per the transport of lithium batteries. Apparently there are some regulations that stipulate the battery must be a component part within the shipping package of a larger assembly, e.g., a bicycle when shipped. So my LBS told me.

One of the issues relates to Federal and State regulations per the transport of lithium batteries. Apparently there are some regulations that stipulate the battery must be a component part within the shipping package of a larger assembly, e.g., a bicycle when shipped. So my LBS told me.
Interesting. There must then be a legal cutout for EV batteries, because they ship them all over.

I just bought a new battery. Came from my bike co. In Cal. They get them shipped without bikes from overseas all the time. Don't know what that shop means.

I carry three powerpack 500 Bosch batteries. This way I can go as fast as I like with my delimiter for as long as I like with no concerns of running out. I can averiage 30 km per hour for four hilly hours or approx 120 km in Summer. I will occasionally even take four powerpacks if I am going to climb the North shore Triple crown. I have found that I can fit two powerpacks in this very tough seat bag on my FS mtn bike. https://www.axiomgear.com/products/bags/frame-seat-bags/seymour-oceanweave-seatpack-13/

I don't actually carry what would be termed as a spare. I have four batteries in parallel for a total of 52 volts @ 49 ah. (2,540 watt hr)
I built this bike for the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route.
Furthest one day ride was around 172 miles. I charge with a 15 amp charger for a charge rate of around one mile per minute. I have about 20 k miles on the bike now.

I don't actually carry what would be termed as a spare. I have four batteries in parallel for a total of 52 volts @ 49 ah. (2,540 watt hr)
Furthest one day ride was around 172 miles. I charge with a 15 amp charger for a charge rate of around one mile per minute. I have about 20 k miles on the bike now.
Pierre have you got a pic for us?

I dunno where you got that timeline Joe from but up here there are Bosch powerpack batteries aplenty. Maybe you are talking about the new smart system stuff? There is no wait on the previous generation batteries .

Attachments

• IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2723.JPG
    IMG_2723.JPG
    583.2 KB · Views: 103
I dunno where you got that timeline Joe from but up here there are Bosch powerpack batteries aplenty.
Over the last three years there have been 3 or 4 posts on this forum of customers that were waiting for months or a year for a bosch battery. One found one in another country of the E.U. but wasn't allowed to buy it unless he traveled there. I realize there was a problem with cities in ***** being shut down, but if Bosch did not have any repair parts, they should have paused selling bicycle motors. Dolphin batteries have multiple sources.

Last edited:
I carry 0, 2 or 3 extra batteries depending which bike i'm riding and where i'm going. I need 3 batteries for 100 miles without worries, so more than that and i'm going to be considering carrying 3 extra batteries depends a bit on the bike as they are quite different, but also have different batteries. I'm definitely a multi-battery person on the weekends. Like some others i very rarely ride with just one battery due to the possibility of batttery failure. i have 1 bike without a spare battery, and 3 with spares.

Over the last three years there have been 3 or 4 posts on this forum of customers that were waiting for months or a year for a bosch battery. One found one in another country of the E.U. but wasn't allowed to buy it unless he traveled there. I realize there was a problem with cities in ***** being shut down, but if Bosch did not have any repair parts, they should have paused selling bicycle motors. Dolphin batteries have multiple sources.
Oh, when the pandemic was raging and Ebike sales were skyrocketing there was a brief time of shortage but that is certainly no longer the case. For a while there it was tough to find even a cassette or a chain!

When you dont make your batteries in china but the EU then you have less options when a pandemic hits. Most bike supply chains suffered.

Oh, when the pandemic was raging and Ebike sales were skyrocketing there was a brief time of shortage but that is certainly no longer the case. For a while there it was tough to find even a cassette or a chain!
Yeah, I don't get that Bosch should have stockpiled supplies in preparation for a worldwide pandemic shutting down factories, overlapping with an unprecedented bike boom, and then severe shipping delays when things started back up. Pretty sure everyone who had to wait months was looking for 625wh powertubes. All the other sizes and formats were still available AFAIK.

I was able to pick up my spare Bosch 500wh battery within hours of ordering it from REI during the pandemic. However I had to order a cassette from Australia and a chain from the UK in 2021.

I carry two batteries on each of my two 36V torque-and-cadence-sensing mid-drive ebikes.

My 2016 Haibike AllMtn came with a 400WH Yamaha battery, and I bought an extra Yamaha 500WH battery two years ago. The original 400WH battery still has about 90% capacity after about 14,000 miles, and the 500WH battery still shows as much capacity after about 1,500 miles as when it was new. I alternate using them, charging them to about 80% and discharging them to about 20%. I carry the second battery on my Old Man Mountain rack.

I bought my 2022 Yuba Spicy Curry AT with two Bosch 500WH batteries installed and the required electronics to automatically switch between the two every 10% of use, or so. When charging, the charger and/or controller also automatically alternate between the two. I can usually guesstimate the time it takes to charge the two batteries to 80%, within 5% of each other. I have yet to discharge the batteries to less than 30%.

My endurance is about 40 to 50 miles. My two Yamaha batteries probably have a range of about 70 miles, and my two Bosch batteries about 80 miles, using a mid-level assist most of the time and with a mix of terrain and wind direction. I usually carry a load of photo equipment. I like not having range anxiety and I like having the headroom to use only 60% of capacity most of the time.

Last edited:
That Fat bike is just lovely!
20k miles! Why surely this must be a Bafang made motor, just wondering what model it is,BBS02?

Back