Anyone have the new Pedego Avenue yet?

foleymo

Region
USA
City
Saint Paul, MN
Hi there!

I'm new to ebike ownership, or at least I will be when I pick up my new Pedego Avenue on Friday!

The only other experience I have with ebikes are a bike with a Copenhagen Wheel that a friend lent me, and a couple days with my pal's Tern GSD.

Last weekend I test rode the Avenue, and it felt just like what I have been looking for. I decided to buy it despite there being almost no information about it online. The only stuff I could find was on this Canadian Pedego site: https://pedegoelectricbikes.ca/pedego-avenue-city-bike/

Does anyone else out there know what I'm in for with the Pedego Avenue? What have I gotten myself into? :)

Thanks so much!

Since you liked it on the test ride, that's what matters. Since they are so new it's unlikely anyone else here has one. You'll have to let us know what you like about it compared to the Tern.

Hey I recognize ya from Twitter….biggest thing I did was change the handlebar angle, throw on a Pedego thumb throttle controller I bought off Amazon, and put a comfy old seat I already had on. I am loving this ride! Here’s what I posted elsewhere:
Hey all, I’m a near-50 college prof who works from home a few days a week. We downsized from 3 cars to 2 and long story short I’m at home with no car a few days a week. More of a runner than cyclist, but always loved my bikes…but decided to get an e-bike so that I can get to wherever the heck I want within reason. Started to do a bit of research, WAY TOO MANY OPTIONS, so just went down to local Pedego to ask about used ones. They just got a new model in—the Avenue—and it’s kind of akin to a sportier hybrid…feels a bit like my old bmx but that’s probably just me being near 50. Test drove it, yup, that works, bought a new e-bike!

It wasn’t cheap ($2700 or so as the one they in store came with larger battery and mag wheels) but with the kick-butt warranty and shop in town figured what the heck. There’s pretty much no accessories available for this bike—it’s not even really officially launched I don’t think. Bought a good lock (the “free bike if our lock is on it when stolen” policy from pedego is awesome), thumb throttle, a cheap rack (and slapped a milk crate on there), got cheap fenders, a couple of a cheap handle mirrors, headlight/taillight, preferred my old cushy seat so swapped that, screwed on an old water bottle cage I had, tweaked the handlebar angle, and it is perfect for me. I mean it’s comfortable, quick, eats decent hills (and I’m 6’3 and not quite svelte), and I put 100 miles on it in a few days and am in love. It’s got 7 gears (but I’ve just treated it as a single gear—stuff is flat here mostly). Took about 15 minutes to get the hang of the 5 pedal assist modes, throttle, etc. I suppose I turned a beautiful bike into a bit of a jalopy but it rides great day or night, carries stuff, what more can ya ask for.

I know Jack Sugar about ebikes, but I know I am loving cruising around on this thing. Glad to have joined the party! Now to get my 75 yr old dad on one…he’d love it too!

Hey I recognize ya from Twitter….biggest thing I did was change the handlebar angle, throw on a Pedego thumb throttle controller I bought off Amazon, and put a comfy old seat I already had on. I am loving this ride! Here’s what I posted elsewhere:
Hey all, I’m a near-50 college prof who works from home a few days a week. We downsized from 3 cars to 2 and long story short I’m at home with no car a few days a week. More of a runner than cyclist, but always loved my bikes…but decided to get an e-bike so that I can get to wherever the heck I want within reason. Started to do a bit of research, WAY TOO MANY OPTIONS, so just went down to local Pedego to ask about used ones. They just got a new model in—the Avenue—and it’s kind of akin to a sportier hybrid…feels a bit like my old bmx but that’s probably just me being near 50. Test drove it, yup, that works, bought a new e-bike!

It wasn’t cheap ($2700 or so as the one they in store came with larger battery and mag wheels) but with the kick-butt warranty and shop in town figured what the heck. There’s pretty much no accessories available for this bike—it’s not even really officially launched I don’t think. Bought a good lock (the “free bike if our lock is on it when stolen” policy from pedego is awesome), thumb throttle, a cheap rack (and slapped a milk crate on there), got cheap fenders, a couple of a cheap handle mirrors, headlight/taillight, preferred my old cushy seat so swapped that, screwed on an old water bottle cage I had, tweaked the handlebar angle, and it is perfect for me. I mean it’s comfortable, quick, eats decent hills (and I’m 6’3 and not quite svelte), and I put 100 miles on it in a few days and am in love. It’s got 7 gears (but I’ve just treated it as a single gear—stuff is flat here mostly). Took about 15 minutes to get the hang of the 5 pedal assist modes, throttle, etc. I suppose I turned a beautiful bike into a bit of a jalopy but it rides great day or night, carries stuff, what more can ya ask for.

I know Jack Sugar about ebikes, but I know I am loving cruising around on this thing. Glad to have joined the party! Now to get my 75 yr old dad on one…he’d love it too!
Great info!

Can you tell me more about the fenders and rack you put on? I’m a little impatient for Pedego’s official versions to come out, but I really want to ride it in wet weather and carry stuff.

What I can tell you is I sent them back to Amazon hahaha. It was OK, just not perfect as the frame is a bit chunky in parts vs other bikes. If I have more luck with round two I’ll let you know. Talked to Pedego R&D (seriously, if you call the company and the rep can’t answer something they’ll find someone who can!) and he told me it’s gonna be a while as it’s so new, supply chain, etc. They will also be doing a fix on the battery being really tight (really tough to remove) which I don’t know if it affects all batteries. I need to bring it back for 100 mile checkup and will update if I hear anything from local shop. Might have them out a stem riser in then too just to raise handlebars a touch.

Sending the headlight back to Amazon too as it gets hot. I’m just gonna buy stuff off REI instead haha.

The one thing I’m definitely keeping is the nice springy padded seat (that’s just an old one off a Diamondback I have) and the official Pedego thumb throttle I’m on the fence about. Gonna ride it a few more times with and without to decide if I like it more.

That matches what I heard from my Pedego dealer about the supply chain issues. I’m just waiting.

Hello from SE MN, the tropical corner.
Interesting eBike and even more interesting warranty.
Enjoy!

I suspect Pedego would have standard fender mounts. I’m a fan of SKS fenders. I’ve had 7 sets on various builds.

In winter I like flaps. Not so much frozen slushy snow build up.

Last edited:
Hello from SE MN, the tropical corner.
Interesting eBike and even more interesting warranty.
Enjoy!

I suspect Pedego would have standard fender mounts. I’m a fan of SKS fenders. I’ve had 7 sets on various builds.

In winter I like flaps. Not so much frozen slushy snow build up.
Those look sweet!

I did buy a diff cheap rack (Rock Bros) that had a cheap back fender built in, I love having a milk crate on back so seems to work.

Those look sweet!

I did buy a diff cheap rack (Rock Bros) that had a cheap back fender built in, I love having a milk crate on back so seems to work.
Milk crates make mounting hard for me. I Especially like folding side baskets
1661213590658.jpeg

Anyone have an idea when the Avenue will be "officially launched?" Any others have experience with the Avenue?

Anyone have an idea when the Avenue will be "officially launched?" Any others have experience with the Avenue?
I heard that they're releasing it Sept. 1, which is in two days. We'll see, I guess.

Attachments

• 496DD812-CA49-4789-9DE6-7299F13FC2D0.jpeg
    496DD812-CA49-4789-9DE6-7299F13FC2D0.jpeg
    685.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 73386752-0B6A-4F24-8B37-37146555C18A.jpeg
    73386752-0B6A-4F24-8B37-37146555C18A.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 5DC4EC89-B0E0-4FC8-ABE2-7EECE963DBB2.jpeg
    5DC4EC89-B0E0-4FC8-ABE2-7EECE963DBB2.jpeg
    523.6 KB · Views: 222
I'm still waiting on my Avenue to show up. The dealer has had their last two shipments delayed by the shipper! My wife really likes her Avenue as it rides very much like her Schwinn Sierra and my Schwinn Cimarron from 1987.

The dealer still doesn't know when the new Avenue rear racks are going to be available. Anyone heard anything about their availability?

I heard it could be Christmas before the racks and fenders are available. They’re have issues with their supply chain coming out of China, apparently.

I heard it could be Christmas before the racks and fenders are available. They’re have issues with their supply chain coming out of China, apparently.
If the looming rail strike occurs, it could be a lot longer than that!

Hopefully it won't be too long. In this day and age, who knows. If it isn't one thing it is another. Hopefully the rail strike can be averted.

Thanks for this post. Been looking at possibly getting one of these for my girlfriend.

Is it a one-size fits most frame, or are there different frame sizes available? And how's the adjustment range on the seat post? Girlfriend has short legs and long torso.

Is it a one-size fits most frame, or are there different frame sizes available? And how's the adjustment range on the seat post? Girlfriend has short legs and long torso.
There is only one frame size for each design: classic frame and step-through. Here are the dimensions for the two:
1663964657070.png

1663964706712.png

The seat post can go all the way down if needed. My wife is 5'3" and the step-through fits her just fine. The handlebar stem is adjustable from 0 degrees through 90 degrees so you should be able to get the appropriate reach. If you want, when I get home, I can measure how low the seat can go on each of mine.

EDIT: The following measurements are basically measurement 4 in the diagrams above but extend to the top of the standard Pedego supplied seat.
  • On the Step-Through
    • minimum seat height is 578mm (22 3/4") though you could cut the bottom of the seat post off and lower it another 50mm (2")
    • maximum seat height is 740mm (29 1/8")
  • On the Classic
    • minimum seat height is 571mm (22 1/2") if the rear red reflector is taken off
    • maximum seat height is 780mm (30 3/4")
Below are pictures of the Avenue Stem. One is at 0 degrees and the other is at 70 degrees.
Pedego Avenue Stem at 0 deg.jpg

Pedego Avenue Stem at 70 deg.jpg

Last edited:
@GizmoEV that's awesome, thank you for this detailed reply. Any info you can provide on seat height would be much appreciated.

My girlfriend experienced back pain riding her Trek, so we lowered the seat post, got an elevated stem, and put riser handle bars on it and the upright riding position has helped a great deal.

It looks like the Pedego Avenue has a great deal of adjustability straight from the factory, so it's definitely a contender. There's a local dealer that we'll probably visit soon to take it for a test ride.

Back