Support level question on Pedego bikes.

Jorge M

Region
USA
I already own a Specialized Creo but I’m interested in a Pedego Avenue for my more casual rider wife. In looking at video reviews of the 5 pedal assist support levels there was an implication that level 1 for example would top out at say 10mph and on up to level 5 for the max of 20mph. In other words you can hit 20mph on level 1 support but once you hit the (10mph?) max the remaining 10mph comes from you alone, whereas as you go up the levels your “boost” is the same other than where it cuts off. I could have completely misinterpreted the video however. The way I thought the support levels differed was in the degree of “boost”, e.g. that you got a bigger push as you went up in support, as in a stronger tailwind. For those who ride any Pedego please let me know how you use the different levels. Thanks.

The boost cuts off at these threshholds:
PAS 1 = 8 mph
PAS 2 = 11 mph
PAS 3 = 14 mph
PAS 4 = 17 mph
PAS 5 = 20 mph
PAS 6 = throttle only

More info:

Thanks so much, great help! My Creo is very adjustable through their app and has 3 torque/cadence levels that can be modified from the default and a max support for each level that can also be changed from the defaul. The Pedego is way easier for my wife, I’ve tried to explain what I do & she checks out in ten seconds lol.

I have no experience with the Pedego Avenue but the PAS assist on my Platinum Interceptor agrees with that posted by @foleymo above. The torque sensor on the Interceptor varies the level of motor assist depending on pedal pressure. The harder you pedal, the more torque you get until you reach the MPH threshold for each PAS level. After that, the motor cuts out completely and any speed increase it due entirely to increased pedal effort.
This may vary with other Pedego models though.

As @foleymo stated above, the throttle also works in all PAS levels 1-6. PAS 0 has no assist or throttle. What I experience is that the slower you go below the PAS cut-off threshold, the more assist the motor gives. Anything over a given PAS assist speed is 100% rider power. The bike is very easy to learn to ride as long as the rider understands that the bike will assist up to the set PAS speed. For new riders it just "takes off" when they start pedaling but once it is understood, it all makes sense. Right now, my wife and I typically ride in PAS 3 when on the road. When starting out from a stop we will often use the throttle to help starting out before the pedals have turned very much and the assist kicks in. This also helps when the rider doesn't want to down shift when coming to a stop.

I have a 2-mile hill climb to get to my house. The road is windy, has no shoulder, and is a 35mph road but many cars go well over the speed limit. I find that using PAS 4 or 5 on the steeper parts gives a similar assist feel as the PAS 3 mode does on a level road. I usually use PAS 5 so I don't spend as much time on that stretch of road.

Depending on how far you expect to ride, you might consider getting the larger capacity battery at purchase.

Back