New Build Considerations - Input Desired

I'm not sure where you came up with this idea of regular repairs and maintenance? I have 3 installed BBS02 with a total of 7,000+ miles with no issues at all. The latest converted bike just flipped 2,800 miles and it runs like day 1. With any mechanical device there is always the possibility of failure or wear, but I have found the BBS02's to be quite durable. ;)

Of course, I don't believe you'll have any issues with the HD version either.

Court J.
Court, that's good to hear from someone that's used them regularly. It sounds like you've also learned to respect the limitations of the motor, and I'm guessing that's helped with the longevity of your motors ("I learned to avoid putting the motor under high loads in upper PAS"-Court J 9/25/15).

I guess I've just seen people's stories of things breaking, motor clicking noises under hard pedaling, setups dying and even seeing LunaCycle's own video of a tear down of a BBS02 after someone sent theirs in for repairs, this thread of someone having issues. I'm not saying that I think most BBS02 motors are going to have issues, I'm just hoping that the BBSHD and controller may be more robust and possibly had some issues resolved in the redesign; it offers up more power and is only 30% more in cost (which represents about 6% increase in total build cost). To me, the only downside is size and weight, but those aren't too bad either considering what the total weight of the bike will be.

The two parts of the build I haven't totally nailed down yet are the battery and tire size. I'm leaning towards the 13.5ah rack battery but if that doesn't come back in stock for a long time I may go for a larger ah triangle battery. Also, I can't decide between 35c, 38c or 42c tires. Most likely going to go with Schwalbe Marathons. Looking to find a good balance between comfort and handling.

Thanks for your thoughts again!

Last edited:
Court, that's good to hear from someone that's used them regularly. It sounds like you've also learned to respect the limitations of the motor, and I'm guessing that's helped with the longevity of your motors ("I learned to avoid putting the motor under high loads in upper PAS"-Court J 9/25/15).

I guess I've just seen people's stories of things breaking, motor clicking noises under hard pedaling, setups dying and even seeing LunaCycle's own video of a tear down of a BBS02 after someone sent theirs in for repairs, this thread of someone having issues. I'm not saying that I think most BBS02 motors are going to have issues, I'm just hoping that the BBSHD and controller may be more robust and possibly had some issues resolved in the redesign; it offers up more power and is only 30% more in cost (which represents about 6% increase in total build cost). To me, the only downside is size and weight, but those aren't too bad either considering what the total weight of the bike will be.

The two parts of the build I haven't totally nailed down yet are the battery and tire size. I'm leaning towards the 13.5ah rack battery but if that doesn't come back in stock for a long time I may go for a larger ah triangle battery. Also, I can't decide between 35c, 38c or 42c tires. Most likely going to go with Schwalbe Marathons. Looking to find a good balance between comfort and handling.

Thanks for your thoughts again!
Now that I've sat and thought for a while, I feel like a BBS02 wouldn't be too bad since it lets me actually use the 13.5ah rack battery which would shave some price off of my build. I'm also now leaning towards the same bike Court J is using in his build since the bike models I was interested in are both sold out. Maybe I'll end up just following Court J's build a little closer, just without the Rolhoff or Gates Carbon drive.

Well, since all of the bikes I was interested in from BD are sold out and the batteries I was interested in from LunaCycle were sold out, it looks like I will be holding off until restocking happens in the next couple months. I'm still reconsidering what the specifics of my build are going to be, so this time will be useful to consider all the options and get my finances in order, as buying now would have been a stretch.

I'll be watching Court J.'s build with interest - would love to see a review/build video of like 5-10 minutes showing all of the details of the build when it's all put together along with some ride footage to see how it turned out!

Cheers,
Thanks for chiming in

Last edited:
I have built 3 bikes with the BBSHD and 3 with the BBS02 now. For someone with experience with electric bikes and given the opportunity to ride an HD and an 02 side by side, I would bet the majority would go with the HD for the additional $200. It's cadence sensor is far superior and quicker reacting, so much so that brake cut off sensors are almost optional on an HD where I would consider them mandatory on an 02. I have also found I got more miles out of the same bike after upgrading the 02 that was in it to an HD. That could indicate that the HD is more efficient or perhaps I just ate my Wheaties that day. As far as batteries from Luna go.... Make up your mind and check daily. I wanted a triangle pack that they were out of stock on, so I emailed them and asked. I got a response that stated they have no idea of any incoming batteries and I should look into an alternative. They didn't even have the high capacity shark pack I wanted at the time. Patience is not a virtue I possess, so I opted for the low capacity battery. Two days later I see they have both the triangle packs and high capacity shark packs back in stock. My battery shipped the day they got new ones in stock. I emailed them about exchanging the battery I settled on for the one I really wanted ( the triangle pack) they said I could return the unused pack for credit. A couple of days later I received my battery and drove straight to UPS to send it back. One day before my battery got back to Luna, they sold out of the triangle packs... So I wasted $50 on shipping a battery around the country and back and still didn't get the battery I wanted. Long story, but I hope you learn from my mistake. Either be patient and be prepared to wait for months or stick with what ya got due to impatience. I have been building a new custom fatty that I'll be posting a thread on.. If and when I ever get a battery on it.

Back