New bike

joeyd50

Hi, just sold my 26" Ancheer e-mountain bike. I'm 69, 5'8", 210lbs, gonna use my bike to get me in and out of the woods, I deer hunt hope that doesn't offend anyone, my 26" bike was too hard getting off and on, I'm looking to buy the Ecotric 48v 500w 20" fat tire e-bike, I'm mostly on flat walking path, any pros and cons would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

I deer hunt hope that doesn't offend anyone,
Deer destroy a number of cars in our county. I'm hoping none ever butts me as I'm hitting 30 mph downhill on my bike. One butted my '59 ford 2005 and left a big dent in the door. The coyotes can't control the numbers, it is up to humans in accordance with the state sponsored quota. Better hunters than the absent mountain lions, which score a jogger or bicycle rider occasionally in Canada.

I’ve never been a hunter but...have a small farm where I allow some responsible young men to hunt. It hasn’t helped me on my bike though...two years ago not 50yards down my dead-end road returning home on my acoustic a big pregnant doe jumped my path missing me by 10 feet. Friends ask me if I’m not afraid of the cars, the rascally pickups...no it’s the deer. Now on my Super Commuter I ride further and faster and see these bicycle killing machines all over...we need more than hunters here in Central VA...wolves would be my choice...and I have cattle

Big saddlebags. To pack 60-90 pounds of meat? You might need a trailer.

I think the Ecotric 48V could handle 8 miles in and 8 miles out. Have to remember the range is down 30% in cold weather. The 48V model will do it better than the 36V bike,

I don't know about deer, but a rabbit ran across a paved path I was on, while doing 20 mph. Thank goodness for hydraulic disc brakes. 👍
I know that rabbits aren't that big, but I figure if I hit one, while doing 20mph, the likelyhood I'm going down is high.

I have 20" fatty from Sondors and it's great, upgrading to tubeless rims for the spring time, this represents very good value for a 20" X 4" folding at $1699.00, it won't break the bank either.
My Bike

I have 20" fatty from Sondors and it's great, upgrading to tubeless rims for the spring time, this represents very good value for a 20" X 4" folding at $1699.00, it won't break the bank either.
My Bike
Do you hunt with that? Where would the deer carcass and hunting equipment go?

Thanks, looking for pros and cons on my bike choice LOL
I pack 60 lb groceries regularly on the stretch frame cargo bike left. Drop frame makes it easy to get on for me with my 28" inseam legs. 26" tires smooth out the bumps. Cargo weighs down the back tire, I weigh down the front tire. I carried a 6000 BTU air conditioner once, and a L78R15 Pickup tire another time. A deer carcass is more squirmy, I leave that to you how to pack it. I welded my own 17"x 17" x 8" wire baskets out of yard signs & 1/2" steel angle previous to the pannier bags, sure loaded a lot easier than the squirmy bags. Would wash off easier too. Weighed about 30 lb though. If you don't have to fit baskets through a man door (I do) you could weld up baskets wider than 8". There was some 16 ga steel wire from mcmaster.com making the mesh, yard signs were the outer perimeter. Have to grind the coating off yard signs to make the weld stick.
Equivalent cargo models to the yubabike electric bodaboda (small frame shown), xtracycle, pedego stretch, surly electric dummy, radwagon, Reiss & muller $$$$ models.

Joey, not offended at all...bow or rifle? I’ve had the Ecotric 26” 1000w 48v for about 2 months now and even though it’s considered a cheaper bike, I’ve been quite pleased with it so far. I’m 68 myself 5’10 and 190. It is a hefty bike. But I’m getting used to it now. I live in Florida near Crystal River and do quite a bit of off roading with it and it handles the deepest sand with no problem. Now hauling outa 100-150 lb white tailed deer?

Joey, not offended at all...bow or rifle? I’ve had the Ecotric 26” 1000w 48v for about 2 months now and even though it’s considered a cheaper bike, I’ve been quite pleased with it so far. I’m 68 myself 5’10 and 190. It is a hefty bike. But I’m getting used to it now. I live in Florida near Crystal River and do quite a bit of off roading with it and it handles the deepest sand with no problem. Now hauling outa 100-150 lb white tailed deer?
There's 5 of us that have e-bikes 2 of the guys have trailers that we use to get the deer out, ones my son. We do get an occasional whitetail but we hunt mostly Sika deer in Maryland ( baby elk ) I do bow, black powder, shotgun, rifle and my favorite Super Blackhawk 44 magnum with open sights.

Well he said he wanted a 20", you can get a rear rack and fenders, not sure about pulling dead weight meat out of a forrest.

If I was hunting(my dad did, but I don't) I would look at something like this.
SURFACE 604 - BOAR

Yep...I’m familiar with Sika...lived in the Bowie area for 35-40 years before retiring to Fl. Many many travels to the Eastern shore area. I can only tell you of my experience (minus the deer) that my Ecotric has done well so far in very sandy areas. But again this is a 1000w motor. I’m thinking 500w has adequate torque but as someone noted the cold would affect battery life. Deer season starts when...November? Would you carry it out on some rack or sled perhaps? My Henry Big Boy .44 Magnum is my favorite long gun!

I've been a bow hunter for 40 years!
The most common setup for hunters these days are the Rambo bikes with the Rambo trailer. The Rambo doesn't have much over most of the other electric fat bikes on the market, it's just marketed to the hunting crowd and it's the name known by most because of advertising.

Rambo does have a couple models with an internal geared rear hub to get rid of the derailuer which would be nice if you are worried about ripping it off in the woods.

I have the Biktrix juggernaut and use it for hunting and recreational riding. I got it last fall so didn't really have time to set it up for hunting.
Next fall I want to put a gator grip holder on it and use it for deer and grouse hunting.

I also have plans to use it to pull out my ice fishing gear.

The Biktrix has a Bafang mid-drive setup. Pros and cons of a mid-drive on a hunting bike is if you break a chain back in the woods you either fix it or push. With a hub you can still motor out.

Biktrix makes a step thru called the Stunner that might be worth a look for you.

Attachments

• IMG_4299.JPG
    IMG_4299.JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 371
Ecotric has a sale going on today ,you could grab a Tornado for $1230 with the discount code
and the Tornado has the same stand over height as the Fat Bike but with a bigger battery,bigger motor and full suspension. if your gonna be using it for hunting go for the most powerful motor battery combo you can get.
1581773062456.png

what bike do you have,Seagull or Hammer? both are cool but i know the OP said he had issues getting onto bigger bikes so i didnt suggest them,i dig Ecotric, cool value company.

I bought the Hammer version through eBay. As I recall they advertised it as fitting a 5'4"- 6'3" person? In full disclosure I'm 5'10" and with the seat post all the way down I still had to cut a 1" piece off the seat post frame of the bike! And when I'm using it off road, if I dismount on uneven terrain I usually slide off to the rear of the bike as the more traditional swinging your leg across the frame makes it a little tougher at least for me! I only say this if in fact you would be putting some sort of attachment on the rear of the bike. It's really ideal for a taller person. But I make it work.

Hi, just sold my 26" Ancheer e-mountain bike. I'm 69, 5'8", 210lbs, gonna use my bike to get me in and out of the woods, I deer hunt hope that doesn't offend anyone, my 26" bike was too hard getting off and on, I'm looking to buy the Ecotric 48v 500w 20" fat tire e-bike, I'm mostly on flat walking path, any pros and cons would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

I have the Quietkat Bandit. It's geared toward hunters and fishing with the rear axle set-up to accommodate their trailers.

1581776914169.png

1581776970734.png

Back