New BBS Middrive!

I just had some correspondence with the guys at lectric cycles and they are recieving test units in the next few weeks. Production will begin in september with a view to start selling early november. These will be the ERAD systems and way over priced but if they are getting them i imagine so is everybody else.

Im wondering if the different sizes in bottom brackets means they fit everything inbetween for instance im looking at a scott genius that has a 92mm BB so does that mean the 100mm will fit.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

So this is the 1,000 watt version? More than Mosfets?

Are we back to Bafang?

MM G32.1000

csm_MM_G32.1000_C_de40bdc267 (1).jpg

Adrian, thanks for the links. I am surprised the present version didn't have fins, as this method of getting rid of heat has been around forever. Think my Dolomite is drooling.

Well, we don't have much data regarding the MAX drive and it's hard to compare the reliability and quality.
As for all these E-bike races, E-bike world championships, they look like joke to me. If a non-pro guy like me can do 500km/day, if we put some elite athletes on one of these machines, they can easily do 800km/day.
So, 600km/day in TEAM events is not that impressive.

But Bafang enjoys the economies of scale and they produce in millions for the Chinese market.
Here is a quick tour that Pete did early this year.

This is the new MAX drive and I wonder if they are still using the Nylon gears?

bafang-motor-max.jpg

The problem as noted by Karl of Electric Fat Bike is that they are still using Nylon gears and trying to push 750W + through them.

bafang-motor-gears.jpg

Such Nylon gears are prone to teeth damage or what Karl says "peanut butter gear" :)

imag2914.jpg

Great article here about the replacement of Nylon gears.

Honestly, I'm not sure if Bosch or Derby is doing any different.

Their motors are also using something similar.

View attachment 4222 View attachment 4223

So, may be Bosch and Derby has corporate leverage and vitamin-M to push their drive into EU markets while Bafang is primarily focused on Asian markets.

May be the mid-drives are still work in progress..... :)
Aren't the nylon gears for noise reduction and durability under normal usage?

A couple of things you misunderstood.

The max drive is aimed at the Bosch market so has similar limits.
The 24 hour Nuburgring race had allowable limits of assist so all drives were limited to the same speed cutoff on assist.
What the max drive does have is more torque than the Bosch which would, IMO, give a significant advantage on such a hilly course especially over a long, 24 hour period.

ahhh, my bad.

Almost 4,000 miles on my 36V 500W conversion and still tight and almost as quiet as the 1st mile, so from a longevity standpoint not too shabby so far. I used the word "premier" because they are focused on the DIY market and from what I can see they are the sales and product leader in that space. Don't know if they sell OEM's???? The "biggest" problem I have with electric bikes is affordability. Having bought both a Neo Carbon and a Neo Cross and converted 4 additional bikes I appreciate what you can have for a finished product, and that's where affordability enters the picture. I like the Neo's for the integration and appearance, but at the premium price....?????? As far as function; I'll take the Bafang BBS02 over the Neo's.

Court J.

Good on the longevity, but that's the lower power end of the scale for sure. The newest setup is putting out a LOT mroe power and thus going to probably be easier to shred those gears.

Aren't the nylon gears for noise reduction and durability under normal usage?

They should do well under 250W, which is the limit in EU.
I think even upto 500W, it should be alright. Panasonic and Yamaha mid drive motors have been very reliable and I hope the new batch BBSo02 with updated controllers are on par...

Invariably someone will put 72 volts and 30 or 40 amps into the HD. Wonder what will happen?

Paul at EM3ev has discussed the switch from nylon to composite on the MAC motor. He makes it clear that the nylon are somewhat short lived. I would like to know if Bafang goes with something like composite gears on the HD.

mac gears.jpg

I found a youtube video of an installation of a bafang. Looked like a nice and easy system to switch to. Sorry I can't share it . I'm unable to find it again. Very well documented by home cyclist. Thanks for the links to Motor pics. and specs.

From the ES forum on the BB02 and 750W:

Re: New Bafang Crank-Drives
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)by sather » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:43 am
I hope Bafang redesigns the mechanical parts of the new 1000 watt instead of just reusing the old BBS01 design. The 750 watt BBS02 uses the same mickey mouse plastic gear and clutch as the 350 watt. It left me stranded many miles out in the mountains. I chose to de tune my BBS02 to 500 watts to keep from having more problems. Doug Snyder at California e-bike has fantastic customer service. He turned my defective BBS02 around in 1 day!!

Back