Never Raise The Handlebars In Your E-Bike (2023 update)

I actually did see these Ergons and many others, but I needed to shift my weight back, not forward.
These other, extremely ugly bars you post🦨👎, look nothing like mine.

My extension are pointing back, towards the seat and actually allow me to lean back so far that my shoulders are behind my hips and still have a comfortable grip.

I originally thought to put a different set of handlebars on, but that would require me to re place the brake and shift cables as they were too short. Not to mention the considerable work of re mounting the grips brakes and shifters and other mounts on the bars. On the other hand my bar ends took a total of 15 min and look absolutely beautiful,🌷👍 (I have received many complements and imitators.)
The Ergons are also adjustable and tilt back. ;)

The Ergons are also adjustable and tilt back. ;)
You can only adjust those Ergons to the point that the grip works,(If you noticed,the ends are locked into the grip) and the ends will work havoc with your hands, believe me, I have tried it with my one piece ends bars. Besides , even with my grips I only paid less than $24 for the whole improvement....good luck finding those Ergons for less.:cool:

SQlabs sell/mfg ‘innerbarends’, bar ends that sit inward of grips, they help in the more upright riding position, and just give a good feeling. I use stem riser, handlebars with some rise to get me there- and innerbarends help too. And they put hands in a natural position, etc, etc,etc..... lol
i rarely endorse things- but I really like these and have had them on my Stromer for years.
SQlabs are really into ergonomics and have a lot of interesting stuff to read on their website.

SQlabs sell/mfg ‘innerbarends’, bar ends that sit inward of grips, they help in the more upright riding position, and just give a good feeling.
I use stem riser, handlebars with some rise to get me there- and innerbarends help too. And they put hands in a natural position, etc, etc,etc..... lol
i rarely endorse things- but I really like these and have had them on my Stromer for years.
SQlabs are really into ergonomics and have a lot of interesting stuff to read on their website.
Good site info... thanks for sharing.

1605728402381.png
1605728439865.png

Last edited:
SQlabs sell/mfg ‘innerbarends’, bar ends that sit inward of grips, they help in the more upright riding position, and just give a good feeling. I use stem riser, handlebars with some rise to get me there- and innerbarends help too. And they put hands in a natural position, etc, etc,etc..... lol
That's another advantage I forgot to mention...the addition of the ergonomic "tops" to my inverted bar ends not only is extremely comfortable on the hands, they also allow my hands to be in the natural thumbs forward position, I think this is the reason why when I lean into the tops, muscle tension is actually released, making riding an actual therapy for sore neck, shoulder and wrists. I will not ride without them.

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 409
Ha, I just came in from a ride, during which I decided to raise my handlebars when I got home. I did just that a couple of minutes ago. I think I will like it.

Have you tried to order on the website? They might be shipping to the U.S.

Ah, you're right, they do. Handlebar + shipping would be about $95 usd.

One last update - they ship to the US and have a discount code going on XMAS15.

The person I talked to warned me that the City isn't very e-bike appropriate. The stem area is a bit narrow, making it harder to mount a display/headlights, for example. The TREK also has a bit more flexibility, for comfort. It's a shame, really, because I wanted a bit more backsweep.

I had my shop do this in September to my Charger. It has made a huge difference in comfort and stability.

Next year I am considering doing something really deranged like converting the Charger to drop bars.

I had my shop do this in September to my Charger. It has made a huge difference in comfort and stability.

Next year I am considering doing something really deranged like converting the Charger to drop bars.
Which changes did you make?

Well lets discuss the options with pros/cons shall we....You started it

Perhaps we should make the title, "How to make your ebike more comfortable and the front end wash out more":cool:

Raising your handlebars with a stem riser causes quite a weight shift towards the rear. This will manifest itself as less front end grip on offroad level and uphill terrain. When Im really cookin offroad on my ebikes, Im usually limited by front end grip so rising my handlebars is the last thing I want to do (especially 75mm). I reluctantly had to raise the bars on all my bikes 1inch this year due to hand pain and immediately noticed reduced front end grip. I now have to beware of this and purposely lean forward more at times. I went thru quite a 6 month process (grips/handlebar rise/stems/handlebar clocking) and learned alot in the process. Note that I also use a bigger tire in the front for more grip almost always.

In addition to that, raising your bars might actually make it worse although this would be a limited case. When I first got my Bulls Evo eMTB, I had hand pain. Ironically flipping the stem over so it was -6 degree and rearranging the headset spacers to lower the stem worked 'in this case'.

Basically there are two issues causing hand pain.
Weight on your hands
Weight distribution on you hands

Weight on you hands can easily be reduced by shortening the reach to the bars (making stem shorter, more handlebar sweep depending on handlebar design) or raising the bars (higher rise stem, riser bar or stem riser). Note that this also changes the weight on your front wheel. No free lunch here.

You can also move the seat forwards which will have the added benefit of adding weight to the front end. Maybe your bike has a setback seatpost that you could change out.

Weight distribution on your hands can be changed with grips, handlebar sweep (up and back), handlebar clocking (rotating bar in styem) and gloves. You could also try different grip position or something like togs(https://togs.com/) which I use on my acoustic FS mountain bike.

Handlebar width also has effects on both the weight and its distribution.

An then there is core strength. Perhaps the cyclist just needs to do more situps.

Bike fitting can be quite a process and many time non-intuitive (I recommend watching Bike Fit Adviser on youtube, I dont agree with all he does but its a good source of info).

Im guessing using a stem riser works for alot of newer riders (nothing wrong with being a newer rider) as they arnt pushing the front end much (if ever).

Here is a good stem calculator

Hi, high bars on an e-bike (for 90 % of people) is a no brainer and a brilliant thing to do). I put bmx bars on mine some years ago (lapeirre fc900) and wouldn't change back for anything. You get far more weight position control whether its back or forward. It's far more comfortable, there's next to no issue with wind resistance and the front does not 'wash out'. You don't see motocross riders racing about with 'clip-ons' which are the low road racing bars. No they sit up and straight and just like my bike with its bmx bars the front wheel becomes a lot less important, it doesn't wash out because you don't have much of your weight over it, it dances about. Standing up is perfect with proper high bars too and again weight distribution is however you may want it to be and stable.
http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

I put these FSA Metropolis bars on my Charger and am very happy with the change. After all it is really a touring bike, not a mountain bike. I think you would like them . I like them tilted down slightly. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/29375070300...zckYPZvKrq0Haa3UtlGt7qVRl8SqGlAUaAlgPEALw_wcB

Back