Raising handlebars on Vintage Electric Cafe e-bike?

I have also bought 10inch ape hanger bars. Now to install them on my new revi cheetah plus. Does anyone know what cable extensions I will need to purchase?

They don't make cable extensions as far as I know. In order to make up your new bars you will need as long of a cable housing as necessary to go from the bars to the first cable housing termination point. Leave some slack for bar movement side to side. Use cable housing end caps and a fresh inner cable and you should be good to go. Same procedure for shifter/brake cables. You can get both cable housing and cables on Amazon or a bike shop. Brake cable housing and shifter housing are two different types btw. The brake housing should have spherical wound support and the shift will be straight. If you use the shift housing for brakes the inner wires will pop out of their casing under braking pressure.

Screenshot_20230611_233358_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230611_233358_Samsung Internet.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 100
I would check to see how much slack you have tucked away as most of the time the stock cables are long enough to raise the bars.

I’m not sure how this thread drifted to another topic (I’m the OP), but jumping back in to note that I wouldn’t be so sure that “most of the time,” the stock cables have enough slack to raise the bars. They definitely do not on the Vintage Electric Cafe (which was the original topic); the bike shop flat out refused to do it using the existing cables due to safety concerns with them being too short.

Last edited:
In anycase I would check what I have before buying anything and determine what's needed by physical inspection.
But since you're the OP and with experience with this excact bike .. why not answer his question?

In anycase I would check what I have before buying anything and determine what's needed by physical inspection.
But since you're the OP and with experience with this excact bike .. why not answer his question?
Because as you’ll see if you look at his post closely, his question is about a completely different bike:

“I have also bought 10inch ape hanger bars. Now to install them on my new revi cheetah plus.”

Because as you’ll see if you look at his post closely, his question is about a completely different bike:

“I have also bought 10inch ape hanger bars. Now to install them on my new revi cheetah plus.”
So then I'll repeat for a third time.... I would check what I have before buying anything.

Hello,

I have a Vintage Electric Cafe. I’d like to raise the handlebars by maybe 1.5-2 inches to get in a bit more of an upright position and decrease the reach. I already have the seat forward as far as it will go and the seat is positioned correctly in terms of height (I have long-ish legs and short-ish arms for my overall height of 5’9”).

I am a complete newbie to bike maintenance/upgrades, but I figured out how to raise the handlebars by unscrewing the locking nut on top of the stem. The issue is that that leaves a gap between the bottom of the stem and the top of the tube. That gap strikes me as problematic because it’s unsightly; it will admit water; and it seems potentially dangerous, in that the handlebars might slam down to close that gap.

Both my local bike shop and Vintage said I should get a new stem that’s longer (like this one:

But aren’t there also rings/washers/spacers that could be used on the existing stem to raise it? If so, wouldn’t that be a simpler solution? And how do I find which ones would fit?

Or am I missing something and I really do need to replace the entire stem in order to raise the handlebars?

Thanks for any insights!
Ohhh... Now I remember 🤣

If you want the handlebar to be higher. Instead of doing that, I would recommend using the stem riser cup like this one. It increases the height significantly and also have a better look.
1705544959368.png

Back