Need information on what spokes are on our 700 bikes please

Bikeman

I was going for a ride yesterday and did a quick pre-check on everything and found a broken spoke in the back.

Support lists “12 gauge, stainless steel spokes.” When I look on the Internet, most sites have between 6 and 15 different types of spokes.

Single butted, double butted, triple butted, all kinds of different options. They don’t just have 12 gauge nipples either. There’s all kinds of different size nipples that go on 12 gauge.
Brass nipples or not? Alloy nipples? What’s the length of the nipple? What about the head diameter? What # steel?

I have almost all but given up on ride1up support for help. There’s different bends in the spokes also.

I would like to take a cruise into the city where they have more bike shops. I would like to call and find a place that has the spokes but I don’t know what kind since there’s 15 different kinds and choices and I don’t know what kind I need.

All I know is in back, the right is 12 gauge 228mm. The right rear is 230mm 12 gauge.

Does anybody know what kind, shape and size spokes and nipples we have on the back wheel of our 700 series?

Thank you,
Bikeman

Great question! Eventually this is needed information for everyone. I've found this site on Aliexpress...
Spokes
Sure would like spares for when the need arises.

Thank you for the link.

I wonder if ours are, “ Radius knitting needle spokes”? These come with copper nipples. I wonder if ours are copper? I was hoping to have the same nipples but I don’t know what size nipples with ours since there’s a whole bunch of different ones.

They list four different measurements on the nipples.

Somewhere I read that ours are J-bend spokes. They have J Bend spokes in all different types of metals. I can’t find where I read that ours are J Bend.

They have spokes with different types of bends. We need to know what bend oUr spokes are also.

Probably doesn’t matter but I didn’t want to have all long nipples and replace them with short ones. Have all metal nipples and replace with copper, that kind of stuff.

Super good link, thank you for responding.

Last edited:
Nope, not on Facebook. I do check their Facebook page because it’s public but I can’t respond.

I almost can’t get any real support other than from Kevin. I asked him how I could contact him but he never responded.

Thanks Thom for the link. I see that you posted it on the FB page. I did the same before seeing yours. We do need clarification. I'm looking for the 700 specs and I see different numbers. On the support page under the maintenance section it mentions 27.5inch: Rear wheel: 12G 220mm, 12G 222mm then on the chart page we have 228mm and 230mm.

I should receive LMTD next week . Look like the only way to know for sure is measure them when it gets here . I will probably order several just to have on hand in case . Prowheelbuilder looks to be very reasonable and you can order just a dozen or so .

I should receive LMTD next week . Look like the only way to know for sure is measure them when it gets here . I will probably order several just to have on hand in case . Prowheelbuilder looks to be very reasonable and you can order just a dozen or so .
yeah I checked but the shipping makes it a bit much.

Do you think all who have had spokes break is because of incorrect tension? Or just crappy spokes to begin with? Personally, I have never had any spoke on any bike break.

Back