My VEB Cafe thread. (1st Year Recap: post #83)

Today I clicked over 1,500 total miles biked since Mar. 2, the day I became an ebiker :)
(650 of those miles are on the current, replacement bike, ridden since June 5.)
It was also my longest ride day yet at 39 miles (with breaks for coffee and later, lunch, then a nice relax in a park)--all in all about a 7 hour, wonderful outing on a stunner of a day.

Before the ebike, I all too easily would have spent the day watching tv or maybe if motivated, perhaps doing some photography... I still marvel at how much I LOVE riding my bike, and how it now consumes much more of my previous free time (that seldom got put to such healthy use!) Of course, my household chores are starting to suffer, since I can always talk myself out of them in favor of a bike ride! ;)

Another milestone to tack onto this thread re: my ebike journey...
Today I passed over 1,000 total miles on my current bike (which is the June 5th replacement of the original bike I first took possession of Mar 2.) That puts me at just about 1,865 total miles since March. It was also my new single-day record today, at 41 miles. It is pushing me to make a 50-mile day in August, in conjunction with my 50th birthday!

Another quick update for 'my ebike diary'...

I did manage to complete a 50-miles-day in early August, ahead of my 50th birthday... Not all in one, non-stop ride, but with a few scenic breaks, lunch and coffee breaks... it sort of snuck up on me by surprise, near the end of the day, that I was closing in on 50 miles...

And while I didn't meet quite my weight loss goal of "lose 50 by 50" - I did manage to lose 46.8 by 50, and am still losing; could not be happier with the health benefits and healthier living this bike has brought to me.

And this week I cross over 2,500 total biked miles since March, having just crossed over 1,500 miles on the current (June 5 replacement) Cafe.

Today marks 7 months since I received my ebike.
In that time, I have racked up 2,867 miles. (I should tick over 3,000 by the weekend, if the weather cooperates.)
I've made 67 office commuting days in that time (saving 723 car miles on commutes.)
And also as of tonight, have lost 52 pounds in that time.
Over those 7 months, the average day of biking (ignoring any days with less than 2 miles) = 23.3 miles; my average week of biking = 96.3 miles (though my 2 highest weeks just broke 180 each.) I'm really thrilled with these figures, as someone who hadn't ridden a bike before this, for at least 25 years.

Mechanical history updates:
I'm still biking on the "replacement" bike (provided under warranty when the first bike 'electronically died' suddenly, just over 800 miles in.)
The replacement bike then had 5 rear spokes break in a 2-month span (starting at mile 166, and continuing to mile 1,332.) It appears this wheel was inadvertently assembled with bad/miscut spokes -- the original bike (that died) had none break, in 850 miles -- and I was certainly heavier then.)
A new rear wheel (w/ new hub motor) was sent under warranty -- I'm now nearly 700 miles in on that new wheel, and (touch wood) no broken spokes!

Could not be happier with this biking season, my Vintage Electric Cafe, and the results above!!

Last edited:
Nearing calendar-year-end of my first (partial) year with the ebike, which began for me March 2, 2018.
One arbitrary milestone was finally achieved today -- my 100th office commute by bike! (And coincidentally, the coldest morning commute yet, at 28f.)
I'm still actively chasing my other big, but equally arbitrary milestone -- trying to hit 4,000 total biked miles by 12/31... I'm very close, but I'll need good, dry weather basically every single workday in Dec., in order to just barely squeak by the goal -- given my new, noticeably reduced miles-per-day under these winter temperatures!

"Son, today you become a cyclist."
The light-rain commute (a real winter-wonderland at 61 degrees Fahrenheit, after several mornings more appropriately in the low 30's) brought me my first-ever crash on the bike...! :(
My usual commute route... But waiting for a light to change green, I rode down a short dead-end road about a block or two, made a (thankfully, slow) broad left curving turn to head back to the light, and steered the bike just around the edge of a manhole cover -- but not far enough for the rear wheel to avoid the (worn-smooth) metal cover... rear wheel slid out, I fell hard on my left side. Didn't have gloves on, so left palm is, while not bleeding, very sore & tender. Left forearm has a long, narrow bleeding abrasion, then another little one -- like a long exclamation point. (My first road rash!!) No other cuts/abrasions that I can find, but I think I'll have a terrific collection of bruises this weekend...
{Edit: much delighted that, even though probably my body took the brunt of the fall (landing points along my left shoulder, arm, hip, lower leg) -- the handlebar also hit the pavement -- specifically my Mirrycle mirror took the hit. Yet, no part of it broke!}

Last edited:
The light-rain commute (a real winter-wonderland at 61 degrees Fahrenheit, after several mornings more appropriately in the low 30's) brought me my first-ever crash on the bike...! :(
My usual commute route... But waiting for a light to change green, I rode down a short dead-end road about a block or two, made a (thankfully, slow) broad left curving turn to head back to the light, and steered the bike just around the edge of a manhole cover -- but not far enough for the rear wheel to avoid the (worn-smooth) metal cover... rear wheel slid out, I fell hard on my left side. Didn't have gloves on, so left palm is, while not bleeding, very sore & tender. Left forearm has a long, narrow bleeding abrasion, then another little one -- like a long exclamation point. (My first road rash!!) No other cuts/abrasions that I can find, but I think I'll have a terrific collection of bruises this weekend...
{Edit: much delighted that, even though probably my body took the brunt of the fall (landing points along my left shoulder, arm, hip, lower leg) -- the handlebar also hit the pavement -- specifically my Mirrycle mirror took the hit. Yet, no part of it broke!}
Ouch! I hope you heal quickly.

Been there and done that....twice this past year. The second time I turned in to a gravel driveway and skidded out, jamming a shoulder and grinding my upper forearm down to the bone. That was a two week, bike break in August, enforced by thick smog from forest fires. Thankfully it has been a while. Both elbows/ upper forearms have scars and are still a bit tender.

I went to a bike shop and bought a pair of slip on elbow/forearm pads and don't ride without them.

On the upside, scar marks from crashes are the signs of a seasoned cyclist. Welcome to the club! :cool:
You'll be back on the saddle real soon.

Update -- I now have a KILLER welt developing on my left leg. Almost centered on the front of shin (oriented just slightly inward toward my right leg) and almost halfway between kneecap and ankle (just slightly closer to knee than ankle)... This appears to be (I think) were either the battery housing or bike frame must have slammed into my left leg, once my body did the job of hitting the pavement...
The swollen area is now probably about 4 inches long, and nearly 3 inches across, and I'd say swollen half-to-3/4 inch higher than normal.) Been icing and elevating, but not sure there's much to be done... doesn't inhibit walking... will probably be achy, while pedaling home tonight!

So sorry about this. Ouch!

My wife and I use Arnica (herbal ointment) for bruises, sprains, etc. Not so good for scrapes. Things that would've taken 1-2 weeks to heal are gone in 3 days. Check it out, plenty of information on the web.

I just read the entire thread, very entertaining, thanks. Hope you heal up quickly, glad to hear about the mirror, I have the same one on all my bikes.

christob-Ouch is right!! Hope you heal quickly. Perhaps the majority of us have had our share of those bumps and bruises. Having a very low tolerance to pain does not help much during recovery. These E-bikes are so much fun, you get a little ahead of yourself and the adrenaline rush sometimes comes into play. I can also suggest a herbal ointment as mentioned by Bruce A. Be well!

Milestone update... bruises and aches from the fall be damned, today was dry but chilly, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get the final miles in that I needed -- I've officially ticked over my 4,000 mile mark goal, by 9 miles as of today! And with 3 - 5 biking feasible days remaining this year, maybe I'll secure some bonus icing on the cake!

Milestone update... bruises and aches from the fall be damned, today was dry but chilly, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get the final miles in that I needed -- I've officially ticked over my 4,000 mile mark goal, by 9 miles as of today! And with 3 - 5 biking feasible days remaining this year, maybe I'll secure some bonus icing on the cake!
Kudos and congrats!

You did it....well done!!!

Back