My VEB Cafe thread. (1st Year Recap: post #83)

I tried out the Cafe today. It was amazing, especially compared to the Super Commuter 8S. Last week I tried out the Trek, it was my day off and I really enjoyed it. I couldn't try out the Cafe at the same bike shop since they didn't have it and so had to go way out to the other side of town to a different shop that carried the Cafe.

This was during my lunch hour and I was wearing my work clothes, a suit. I went to the shop in Santa Monica and the sales associate directed me to a great bike path with a steep hill. Once I turned up the street going up the hill I was behind approximately 10 to 15 bikers struggling up the hill. I had to wait for cars to pass before I tried to pass them on the left. I put it on level 5, and I could not believe how fast I passed them with hardly any effort. It was as if I was passing them at 100 mph on the freeway all while wearing my suit, never breaking a sweat, or running out of breath, practically coasting at some points while going up hill. This test drive confirmed I must have this bike. Would love to get it immediately, but don't think I can get the wife on board with the cost until my birthday which is at the end of the year, although I've got an offer that's $300 less than what they advertise with no sales tax. Hopefully, it'll still be available at that price later in the year. We'll see, but can't wait to own one.

I tried out the Cafe today. It was amazing, especially compared to the Super Commuter 8S. Last week I tried out the Trek, it was my day off and I really enjoyed it. I couldn't try out the Cafe at the same bike shop since they didn't have it and so had to go way out to the other side of town to a different shop that carried the Cafe.

This was during my lunch hour and I was wearing my work clothes, a suit. I went to the shop in Santa Monica and the sales associate directed me to a great bike path with a steep hill. Once I turned up the street going up the hill I was behind approximately 10 to 15 bikers struggling up the hill. I had to wait for cars to pass before I tried to pass them on the left. I put it on level 5, and I could not believe how fast I passed them with hardly any effort. It was as if I was passing them at 100 mph on the freeway all while wearing my suit, never breaking a sweat, or running out of breath, practically coasting at some points while going up hill. This test drive confirmed I must have this bike. Would love to get it immediately, but don't think I can get the wife on board with the cost until my birthday which is at the end of the year, although I've got an offer that's $300 less than what they advertise with no sales tax. Hopefully, it'll still be available at that price later in the year. We'll see, but can't wait to own one.
Hi There, Any chance you can try a Stromer ST2s? Do they sell them in your local stores. Once you try one there is no going back....

@Merc glad you got to try it and level 5. It’s like you’re being pulled by an invisible rope hitched to a fast moving car! PS—don’t forget to check out at the VEB office/shop if they have any floor models ;) the light cosmetic “flaws” on mine were worth a 25% discount.

@mstraxs the Stromer looks very cool, modern, and technologically advanced, but at that price I’d probably go with a VEB Tracker, Cruz, or Scrambler never pedal, just throttle at 36mph.

Final "mile"stone to share (at least for awhile -- from now on in this thread, I'll only update when I pass 1k's) -- I ticked over my 500th mile today on a 32 mile ride with @BlondAngel, since getting the bike Mar 2. (360 of that racked up in these first 3 weeks of April, helped by commuting to work frequently now that the insane March winter weather is behind us.)
I'm sort of stunned (in a good way) how much I'm riding this bike...! I really wanted that to happen when I bought it, but secretly kinda dreaded that it might not happen...
The heat and humidity soup of summer has yet to hit D.C., so we'll see what that does to my biking enthusiasm...

@mstraxs I’ve been researching a lot about the Stromer since you’ve mentioned it, and it’s starting to look like a more realistic option over the Cafe. Of course I am referring to the ST1model, or the ST1X, if it drops in price by the end of the year. I’ll be trying all of them out, including the ST2 sometime this month as there is a local shop with a guy who specializes in these bikes.

From what I’ve read it seems the difference between the ST1 vs any other ST1X, ST2 is the Omni Connectivity which pairs up with your phone, which is a really cool option, but for me not necessary. That feature alone along with others of course but not as consequential, drops the price $2000. At the moment I’m seeing ST1 Platinum for $2999, that’s $1000 less than the Cafe. If the Stromer performs as well as the Cafe, which I suspect considering it’s also a rear hub, I may have to go with the Stromer.

Also, I found this blog highlighting the differences in models: http://electricbikeplace.com/blog/lets-chat-stromer-st1-vs-st1x-vs-st2/

It mentions something about a lifetime warranty if the Omni model is purchased, but I don’t see anything like that on Stromer’s website. If there is a lifetime warranty on the bike and the Omni, then the extra thousand + spent would be worth it.

@mstraxs I’ve been researching a lot about the Stromer since you’ve mentioned it, and it’s starting to look like a more realistic option over the Cafe. Of course I am referring to the ST1model, or the ST1X, if it drops in price by the end of the year. I’ll be trying all of them out, including the ST2 sometime this month as there is a local shop with a guy who specializes in these bikes.

From what I’ve read it seems the difference between the ST1 vs any other ST1X, ST2 is the Omni Connectivity which pairs up with your phone, which is a really cool option, but for me not necessary. That feature alone along with others of course but not as consequential, drops the price $2000. At the moment I’m seeing ST1 Platinum for $2999, that’s $1000 less than the Cafe. If the Stromer performs as well as the Cafe, which I suspect considering it’s also a rear hub, I may have to go with the Stromer.

Also, I found this blog highlighting the differences in models: http://electricbikeplace.com/blog/lets-chat-stromer-st1-vs-st1x-vs-st2/

It mentions something about a lifetime warranty if the Omni model is purchased, but I don’t see anything like that on Stromer’s website. If there is a lifetime warranty on the bike and the Omni, then the extra thousand + spent would be worth it.
Hi MERC

I'm so glad that your interest in Stromer is at least there. Im in no way connected to them but I researched for about 6 months in total and tried various manufacturers before taking the plunge and buying a couple. It is expensive and there is no hiding from that. However i really think its the best made and best looking ebike I looked at out of the 20 or so models I test rode. It feels agile and of course has the power. Its not been without its issues but the customer service and warranty are second to none. As others have mentioned before, to survive in this crowded market ebike manufacturers must stand out with their customer service and Stromer are in my opinion at the head of the pack.
As for differences between models they are subtle and it really depends on what you want. I went with the ST2s as I got a great deal on it as the ST5 is coming out and I think that affected the price of the ST2s. There are niggles with it but overall you wont be able to stop smiling when you ride it!

Congratulations on your new bike. I think I've seen you a few times on the Mount Vernon trail on my commute home. Its easy to spot a Vintage bike with that triangle battery. I'm near 4 mile run and the head of the W&OD trail (Shirlington side). You'll see me mostly on my Radwagon during my daily commutes and my Specialized w/(bbs02) on the weekends riding the "Custis to W&D to 4 mile to Mount Vernon" loop (~18 miles).

@WilliamT Howdy neighbor! I try to keep an eye out (or an ear) for ebikes but still see far more traditional bikes.
Yes, the triangular battery casing above the pedals is an unusual, tell-tale form...!
I bike 4 Mile Run (from Columbia Pike) to the Potomac Yard Trail to my office near Braddock Metro -- but on my trips home, I extend the ride to Gravelly Point or LBJ or Memorial Bridge, to accumulate a few more miles. So I'm sure our paths have crossed!
I did try the whole Arlington Loop once, counter-clockwise going uphill from Rosslyn (also on a gale-wind day in March) -- and my battery charge gave out a mile from home... I've biked the loop clockwise several times now; a bit more enjoyable than that first attempt ;)

anybody want to get together for a weekend ride? W&OD, C&O, Capital Cresent , Mt Vernon? any or all the above? Can drive to meet or ride to meet, or meet at my house in Falls Church and bring your charger. I have some extra Stromer batteries might be good for distance if available that can be borrowed

I'm game - and I often ride on WOD / Mt Vernon / Holmes Run with @BlondAngel. We did an Arlington-to-Vienna ride with a leisurely coffee break there last weekend, that came in at 32mi for me.
I can't use a Stromer spare, unfortunately! However, I feel like (assuming no crazy gusty winds) I should be able to, with judicious use of Assist levels and gearing, get up to 45 miles or more on a charge (have done 32 - 36 mile treks three times now, with some bars left on the gauge - but don't yet have a feel for how reliable those bar indications are in real life usage.) That said, not sure my tailbone's ready for 45 miles...!
This Saturday I'm tied up until late afternoon helping out with Bell Tower climb tours at the Washington National Cathedral's FlowerMart event -- but Sunday is clear so far!

I've never been on Holmes Run, but I heard there is a Cross County Trail from the top of VA (Potomac River) down to Occoquan (40 miles). It intersects at W&OD between Vienna and Reston. I might try that this weekend starting from W&OD and heading north up to Great Falls through the County Trail to Difficult Run Trail.

Last edited:
Well, I missed my arbitrary goal of hitting 1,000 miles biked by May 31 -- barely. That would have been my next update to this original "Greetings" thread.
The original bike died an uncertain electronic death on May 15 and no longer provided Assist on any setting (though at that stage, Walk Mode still worked - until finally the bike wouldn't power on.) While I rode it a few times after that as a pedal bike (quite a different experience and workout!) I wasn't prepared to continue commuting to work that way, so I lost the main source of my miles accumulating (and several lovely spring days.)
After various troubleshooting efforts between the manufacturer and my LBS (VEB's support included sending me a whole new rear wheel/hub motor assembly, and a new controller/battery mount/wiring harness) I'm now the happy owner of a completely new replacement bike shipped from VEB (I loved seeing that "1 mi" on the master odometer when it powered up!) Today was the first ride on the new bike, commuting into work, and it was perhaps more awesome than what I remember of my first ride back in March!

Well, I missed my arbitrary goal of hitting 1,000 miles biked by May 31 -- barely. That would have been my next update to this original "Greetings" thread.
The original bike died an uncertain electronic death on May 15 and no longer provided Assist on any setting (though at that stage, Walk Mode still worked - until finally the bike wouldn't power on.) While I rode it a few times after that as a pedal bike (quite a different experience and workout!) I wasn't prepared to continue commuting to work that way, so I lost the main source of my miles accumulating (and several lovely spring days.)
After various troubleshooting efforts between the manufacturer and my LBS (VEB's support included sending me a whole new rear wheel/hub motor assembly, and a new controller/battery mount/wiring harness) I'm now the happy owner of a completely new replacement bike shipped from VEB (I loved seeing that "1 mi" on the master odometer when it powered up!) Today was the first ride on the new bike, commuting into work, and it was perhaps more awesome than what I remember of my first ride back in March!

sorry to read your bike stopped working, glad Vintage came through for you with a new bike, hope it lasts longer than 3 months, that’s ridiculous.

Yep -- same exact everything.
(Well, some tiny little differences -- the new bike came with spoke reflectors and pedal reflectors -- old bike didn't have them. New bike came with a different battery charger that will be slightly slower than the zippy 2 hour full charge of the first one -- but VEB said they were pushing the first charger to its limits -- the new charger is meant to be a better fit in that regard, though it adds about 45 mins to a full charge cycle. And lastly, the Shimano gear shifter on the new bike doesn't have the built-in indicator "window" with the red marker moving left or right as you shift. I'm sure I'll get used to not seeing that red marker show me where, in the range of 10 speeds, I'm currently positioned -- but I was missing that visual feedback on the ride in!)

sorry to read your bike stopped working, glad Vintage came through for you with a new bike, hope it lasts longer than 3 months, that’s ridiculous.
Yeah, they (VEB) were stumped - they indicated they had several hundred Cafe's out in the world today, with tens of thousands of miles accumulated, and they'd never had this particular problem reported (ie, that both a new rear wheel hub and new controller did not resolve.)
I personally think (with no technical/ebike engineering background) that a short of some kind took place, and fried the assist sensor in the bottom bracket. Now, what caused the short, in my hypothesis... no idea.

Back