My Rohloff rear cog just, disappeard!

Tom@WashDC

Region
USA
City
Loudoun County, VA.
Was riding last evening, not pushing my bike hard when all of the sudden I felt a snap/crack coming from the rear transmission/hub (Rohloff Speedhub 14 build thread) and my pedals began to spin freely without engaging the Rohloff hub. The chain was still on the hub axle, but spinning freely as I pedaled. It was dark, so I couldn't see well, but the chain was sitting in place just like it was on the cog. I thought it felt like something inside the Rohlof hub just snapped. I figured someting inside the hub was broken, and I was seriously bummed. Fortnately my wife called me a moment later and got in her car to come pick me up. When I got my bike home, and took a good look at it, I relized the rear cog was gone!

It must have snapped in two, or several pieces and just dissapeared. Aparently the Rohloff Chain Tensioner was keeping the chain in place right where it should be, giving the illusion of having a rear cog, but it was gone.

Fortunately I had my original 16T cog and was able to replace that in about 15 minutes.

A few months ago, I had purchased and installed a 13T rear cog to get a better gear ratio. When I first examined the new cog, I noticed that it had less steel in it's makeup, and wondered if that mattered. It seemd a bit insubstantial to me. On a regular bike, I doubt in matters, but for a mid-drive Bafang Ultra, it appears that it may matter. It was either a defective cog from the start, or it's just too much sustained stress over time for the smaller cog, made from much less steel.

I surmise that the 13T cog cannot handle the stress of the Bafang Ultra over time.

I'll keep the 16T cog, and try a larger chainring to achieve my desired ratio.

16T Cog 13T Cog
16T.jpg
13t.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! With all the possibilities of things that could have broken and the possible cost, thankfully it was something that was easily fixed. And having the spare part on hand is even nicer. Good luck figuring out the gearing.

Wow! With all the possibilities of things that could have broken and the possible cost, thankfully it was something that was easily fixed. And having the spare part on hand is even nicer. Good luck figuring out the gearing.
Yeah, I consider my self lucky. Of course, now I'll be freaked out for another year and need to carry a spare cog!

May be you can get a thicker one,
Which chain/sprocket thickness are you using?

I believe he's limited to 8s - 10s because of the tensioner clearance limitations.

The 13t definitely looks anemic visually.

Last edited:
May be you can get a thicker one,
Which chain/sprocket thickness are you using?
Pretty sure it only comes in one thickness. It may have been defective, but I'm going to assume it's just "anemic" for the continued streess of the mid drive Bafang Ultra and stick with the more substantial 16T cog. I've got a 40T Chainring now, so to get back to the same Chainring/Cog ratio I will move up to a 50T Chainring

Pretty sure it only comes in one thickness. It may have been defective, but I'm going to assume it's just "anemic" for the continued streess of the mid drive Bafang Ultra and stick with the more substantial 16T cog. I've got a 40T Chainring now, so to get back to the same Chainring/Cog ratio I will move up to a 50T Chainring
more efficient anyway :)

Back