My Next Build

Looking good. Any new plans on the battery compartments different than the rectangular box in the triangle? I suggest a shark or dolphin pack, which look great and have good performance.

Dan

Sitting beside the bike Luna 52V 13.5 AH NCRB cells.

Court J.
congrats.

I'm in a rebuild too with a titanium frame, 26", I bought used. My Trek DS (picture to left) got rear ended and bent the frame. I am transferring the components to this Litespeed Titanium frame. I had a set of 26" Mavic Crosstrails.

Fun stuff. I look forward to your finished ride.

BTW, why no suspension?

planning on during a build using either the BBS02 or BBSHD on my current trek 29r. I'm keeping an eye on your build for the moment to get some ideas.

BTW, why no suspension?

Some would say because I'm a glutton for punishment. But...I have a suspension front fork sitting in my office and I'll swap them out if I get sick of the stiff ride. For now (??????) I'm going to try the carbon fork and see how it goes. Much lighter.

Court J.

@Court J Guess I am batting 000% with BD. First off, they won't do step-through frames. Next, last bike I bought was completely out of adjustment, just took too long to get it done. Their marketing is silly.

One local shop covers the lower end bikes pretty well. BD offers upgrade on come components, but it's hard to say how much difference it makes with an ebike.

Fezzari is a decent online vendor, with no games and a questionnaire for the fit.

I've finished the conversion of the Titanium 750W 52V ebike with Rohloff IGH. First impressions....what a very nice ebike, I already know the Rohloff is the "last word" in gear boxes....smooth as silk!!!!! :D. Once I've had a chance to shake it down, learn the Luna control set-up and make adjustments I'll take pictures and give a complete write-up.

Court J

I'm keeping an eye on your build for the moment to get some ideas.

After riding and adjusting...observations:

* The Luna C965 (equivalent) color display is worth it.
* setting the speed limit is a bit bizarre. You can set it up to 45 kpm and the next increment that would be 46 kpm goes to 99 kpm.
* 5 levels of assist and with the 52V battery at level 5 the motor is pulling 1250 watts, at level 1 it's pulling 400W.
* the Rohloff is expensive, but it is very accurate and smooooooth! Plenty of range and easy to shift. However, the motor has to be off to shift effectively so "clutching" or some other motor disengage is a MUST! This might be frustrating for some.
* The bike weighs 45 lbs!!!! :D:D:D

Observations>

As you can imagine the bike accelerates incredibly fast. I did ride it at 32 mph and probably could have gone 40+ easily but 32 mph is more then I need. If your a power/torque/speed freak (pick and choose) this bike will feed your addiction. Even though it's setup for "upright" riding, it handles well (short) wheelbase. I've only ridden it a total of 5 miles so there is still a lot to learn and I have no idea how long the battery will last. I have to take it out on a longer ride to get a feel for speeds/gear settings at what assist level, but this setup certainly has a wide range of ability. I'm pretty sure speed, gear and assist level management has to be watched closely to avoid heat and or excessive load.

This is going to be fun!!! Pictures below

P1000207 (Large).JPG P1000208 (Large).JPG P1000209 (Large).JPG P1000210 (Large).JPG P1000211 (Large).JPG P1000199 (Large).JPG P1000200 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• P1000201 (Large).JPG
    P1000201 (Large).JPG
    521.2 KB · Views: 703
  • P1000202 (Large).JPG
    P1000202 (Large).JPG
    371.5 KB · Views: 669
  • P1000203 (Large).JPG
    P1000203 (Large).JPG
    393.2 KB · Views: 613
  • P1000204 (Large).JPG
    P1000204 (Large).JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 719
  • P1000205 (Large).JPG
    P1000205 (Large).JPG
    536.6 KB · Views: 705
  • P1000206 (Large).JPG
    P1000206 (Large).JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 631
That geometry would work great for me. Not sure how the 'horns' on the bars work, whether they are added or all one piece. They say move your hands around to prevent stresses. That would help a lot. I'm amazed factory bikes don't have more choices in handlebars. I've tried quite a few things and the standard bar is way down my list. For those speeds I would want a suspension fork, I guess. Great overall look and pretty unique.

That's one sweet build. Nice and clean. How have your experience been with using the BBS02? Here in Canada our motor limit is 500W but I'm torn between the BBs02 and the BBSHD (newer and a little bit more refine from the older one). Will you be adding any front suspension in the future?

It is fast! I rode it to work this AM...14.5 miles over varied terrain at 22 MPH average speed. The best I have done previously is 20 MPH. When it's pulling 1200+ Watts I'm able to pedal up any of the inclines with very little loss of speed, but it does eat the battery reserve and the motor runs noticeably hotter, so I use the max setting sparingly. I decided to get the programming cable and will reprogram the assist levels and probably reduce the max AMP cut-off. I'd rather work a bit harder and extend the range.

But if you really want to go fast this bike will do it.

Court J.

Last edited:
Yes, that Rohloff really allows some high gearing/higher power performance. I had one on an Optibike 1100, with 165 nm of torque. It can hold.

Your BBS02 at 750W is kind of designed to draw some power. I suppose if you dial down the controls to around 500W, you will be back to previous averages?

Big thumbs up on the color display! Luna has really picked it up in the DIY market. I was eyeing their system options for Mid drives. I think you have hit all the marks: 48V+, lithium, Mid Drive, less than 50 lbs, 500w+, hydraulic disk brakes, Titanium frame, color console. Traded suspension for weight, is a personal choice for response and more bike like riding. If you want to keep it light, the BBS01 would work and a smaller battery I suppose. However, the BBS02 and new Batt opens up options for speed and range increases as desired. I think you did it right. I would add quality front air forks, and a seat susp.

Enjoy! Keep us informed.

After riding and adjusting...observations:

* The Luna C965 (equivalent) color display is worth it.
* setting the speed limit is a bit bizarre. You can set it up to 45 kpm and the next increment that would be 46 kpm goes to 99 kpm.
* 5 levels of assist and with the 52V battery at level 5 the motor is pulling 1250 watts, at level 1 it's pulling 400W.
* the Rohloff is expensive, but it is very accurate and smooooooth! Plenty of range and easy to shift. However, the motor has to be off to shift effectively so "clutching" or some other motor disengage is a MUST! This might be frustrating for some.
* The bike weighs 45 lbs!!!! :D:D:D

Observations>

As you can imagine the bike accelerates incredibly fast. I did ride it at 32 mph and probably could have gone 40+ easily but 32 mph is more then I need. If your a power/torque/speed freak (pick and choose) this bike will feed your addiction. Even though it's setup for "upright" riding, it handles well (short) wheelbase. I've only ridden it a total of 5 miles so there is still a lot to learn and I have no idea how long the battery will last. I have to take it out on a longer ride to get a feel for speeds/gear settings at what assist level, but this setup certainly has a wide range of ability. I'm pretty sure speed, gear and assist level management has to be watched closely to avoid heat and or excessive load.

This is going to be fun!!! Pictures below

View attachment 6271 View attachment 6272 View attachment 6273 View attachment 6274 View attachment 6275 View attachment 6276 View attachment 6277

Court,

Where did you buy those bar ends and 1/2 length ego grips?

D

I stumbled upon this thread a year late! I wonder what happened with the Fantom Cross 750 w Luna motor with
It is fast! I rode it to work this AM...14.5 miles over varied terrain at 22 MPH average speed. The best I have done previously is 20 MPH. When it's pulling 1200+ Watts I'm able to pedal up any of the inclines with very little loss of speed, but it does eat the battery reserve and the motor runs noticeably hotter, so I use the max setting sparingly. I decided to get the programming cable and will reprogram the assist levels and probably reduce the max AMP cut-off. I'd rather work a bit harder and extend the range.

But if you really want to go fast this bike will do it.

Court J.

Sweet! I stumbled upon this thread a year too late! Wonder what the bike looks like now? How does it perform a year later?

How does it perform a year later?
It's superb, everything I wanted. I ride it between 150-175 miles per week until winter in the NE sets in. With the Titanium frame it's light and strong, and the BBS02 750W @ 52V (even down regulated to max 18A) puts out all the power I want. The Rohloff 500/14 IGH is the "icing on the cake". Now that I've spoiled myself building mid-drives with the Rohloff I would never go back to conventional cassette and derailleur, there's absolutely no comparison. The IGH is far superior in every aspect of smooth efficient shifting and with the inline drive train I run a Connex 7R8 chain that is still on the bike...the original chain.

Court J.

Last edited:
Back