My Next Build

flymeaway

Well I guess I couldn't resist! Just ordered this bike from BD - Motobecane Fantom Cross COMP Disc Brake Titanium Cyclocross. Won't get the bicycle until late May which will give me time to purchase the components I'll need. I plan on using the Rohloff Speedhub 500/14. I'm also going to use the Gates Carbon Drive system. I'll be using the BBS02 750W LunaCycles 3077 kit coupled to a 52V battery. My goal is to build a very fast basically maintenance free bike. At $1,400 the bike is a fantastic platform to convert.

Should be a fun build and the most capable bike I've converted to date. The only question now is what do I do with all the other bikes!! :D

Court J.

Sweet build! I like the cross frames because they have disc brakes and more tire clearance if you want to run 38C tires.

Do you prefer bikes with no suspension, though? Seems like it'd be a pretty rough ride above 20MPH.

Rims are only 32h

Hi...the Rohloff is also 32h. It's recommended that the wheel be laced 2 cross and the 32H works well. Because the wheel is perfectly symmetrical spoke tension is equal on both sides...much stronger then a dished wheel!

http://www.rohloff.de/en/technology/workshop/wheel_stability/

The WTB 700C rims get great reviews as a rugged workhorse so I'm excited and looking forward to building the rear wheel.

Thanks for the link....but I already ordered and paid for the bike. This is going to be fun!

Court J.

Do you prefer bikes with no suspension

No....but I will put the larger wheel diameter on the rim and live with the result. I usually put a Delta Pro stem raiser on the bike so I'm more upright. It helps taking pressure off the forearms and shoulders and reduces fatigue. I'm looking forward to this project...! :D:D:D

My goal is to build a very fast basically maintenance free bike.

Sounds like an attractive package. Things seem to be going there, fast and low maintenance... The drops are a little unique, if they stay:). They gave us 28 mph for PAS ebikes last week, when the Governor signed the ebike revisions. I'm thinking they need to work out the stresses on the rider at 30 mph. Maybe the suspension stem will work out.

Nice components, so we will all have to wait on BD for the results. No more heavy battery packs, at least. It's really only a mid-range Haibike price. People are doing some fantastic stuff.

BikesDirect.com BD also sells a nice Titanium front suspension bike. They did all the tricks to make it light. It has 160 mm rotors but they are icetech to make up for that. Low suspension travel, but quality to make up for that. Titanium is being advertised as Carbon weight that won't break like Carbon. The spokes are low count also as higher end wheels tend to be. Without the pedals the bike weights 23 lbs. The strength, comfort of suspension, and better safety of an upright view, make this the choice for a build I would do. Lockout on a suspension can really add a road bike feel for efficiency. The larger wheel sizes along with the 44 tooth front and 11 tooth rear, make the bike well geared for speed also.

Sounds like a very interesting build, I am currently running an alfine 11 IGH and love it - the Rohloff should be even better! I don't think the frame you purchased will work with the Gates Belt Drive system as I believe that system requires a rear triangle that comes apart (to allow the belt access to the rear hub).

I really wanted to go with a Belt drive system too, but wasn't finding a donor bike in the right price range that allowed for the belt drive system...

Let me know if you find a way to make a belt drive work!

Let me know if you find a way to make a belt drive work!

I have my own machine shop so I can make an idler from cam followers to mount on the chain stay which would allow me to use the Gates system. Having said that, I have been doing a lot of research and reading reviews about chain versus Gates Carbon Drive and I'm not certain the added cost equals a better transmission. Because the drive line can be straight (and fixed) most reviews I've read say that the chain works fine. I'll have to wait and see???

Court J.

While an idler wheel would be necessary on a frame without horizontal dropouts, the problem with standard frame and belt drives is that the belt does not separate like a chain to allow routing through the rear triangle. Belt drive bikes all have some sort of break in the rear triangle to allow the belt to access the rear hub, without a break in the rear triangle there is no way to get a belt mounted.

Of course this all assumes the Gates Belt Drives are still using continuous belts, if they have ones that come apart it won't be a problem...

Cheers...

BTW, chain drive on my alfine 11 IGH works great, I have a hard time seeing the benefits of belt worth the cost/hassle... Chain line is great and it all runs smooth and quiet - alfine offers a couple different idler wheel options too (that should be mountable on any frame with standard dropouts)....

While an idler wheel would be necessary on a frame without horizontal dropouts, the problem with standard frame and belt drives is that the belt does not separate like a chain to allow routing through the rear triangle. Belt drive bikes all have some sort of break in the rear triangle to allow the belt to access the rear hub, without a break in the rear triangle there is no way to get a belt mounted.

Of course this all assumes the Gates Belt Drives are still using continuous belts, if they have ones that come apart it won't be a problem...

Cheers...

Carbon belts will always be continuous. There's no way to bond a severed belt (even using epoxy) that would provide the strength of the original belt. :D

I have my own machine shop so I can make an idler from cam followers to mount on the chain stay which would allow me to use the Gates system. Having said that, I have been doing a lot of research and reading reviews about chain versus Gates Carbon Drive and I'm not certain the added cost equals a better transmission. Because the drive line can be straight (and fixed) most reviews I've read say that the chain works fine. I'll have to wait and see???

Court J.

Have you ever seen those black chain covers on fixed-gear/single-speed/IGH bikes? I've seen them on folding bikes. They use some flexible black ABS plastic to cover ~65% of the chain, leaving exposed the portion of the chain that needs to be open to the chainring and rear cog. I thin they reduce the amount of road grime that gets on your chain and reduces the amount of chain lube you'll have to use. It might provide an experience more similar to a Gates carbon drive (less cleaning/maintenance than a chain alone) but with the ability to break the chain with a tool so that you don't have to customize your rear triangle for a carbon drive belt.

Here's one brand called FreeDrive:

chain cover.jpg

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

WOW....ordered the Rohloff 500/14 from a dealer in Germany on 3/31. He sent it DHL 4/4 air freight. It's in Boston and is out for delivery!!!! I'll have the hub, the Stan's rim and Sapim spokes all by tomorrow. Amazing service and a very good price too boot!!!!!!!

Court J

Have you ever seen those black chain covers on fixed-gear/single-speed/IGH bikes?

No I haven't. With the Rohloff I'm not quite as concerned about wear. Since there's no shifting much less stress on the chain. Keeping it reasonably clean and lubricated should make it last many times longer then the chain on a conventional ste-up.

Court J.

It's an intriguing build. Too bad the bike is delayed. I think you said it would be a BBS02. The trend is clearly to the HD and that hub would take the edge off operations. You might not need the power of the HD. Wish Bafang had put a torque sensing PAS in the 02 by now. A big problem for DIY. The world of 18650 cells can be perplexing. Performance motors can outstrip battery packs pretty quickly. I keep a constant eye on my watt meter and work with the voltage sags. Maybe these GA packs will run down more graciously.

Good luck clearing out the 'extras'. I'm not sure you gave your rear Mac build the love it deserved :):):). I have a Trek/Magic Pie 5 rear build that hasn't quite come together. The battery is a sticking point, and some parts.

I'm not sure you gave your rear Mac build the love it deserved :):):)

LOL...Hi George,

I still ride the MAC, but not as often as the newest build. The MAC is my weekend leisure ride!!! If I had to do it over I would have put a 48 or 52 volt battery on it and a higher output controller. Even going up pretty steep grades the motor barely gets warm!!!

Live and learn....

If the Rohloff works as expected, I'll probably put the Rohloff on my other two mid-drives. I can hardly wait to ride the and use the powered Rohloff.

Court J.

LOL...Hi George,

I still ride the MAC, but not as often as the newest build. The MAC is my weekend leisure ride!!! If I had to do it over I would have put a 48 or 52 volt battery on it and a higher output controller. Even going up pretty steep grades the motor barely gets warm!!!

Live and learn....

If the Rohloff works as expected, I'll probably put the Rohloff on my other two mid-drives. I can hardly wait to ride the and use the powered Rohloff.

Court J.

I started with 36v on the slightly smaller front Mac, then went to 48v. It was 1300 watts versus maybe 950, but I really felt it on the grades. I really wish hubs could legally have about 1250 watts, just for the hills.

As long as it was mentioned above, has anyone heard any rumors regarding Bafang adding torque sensing to a DIY motor kit (BBSHD)? I have been hearing good things about the pedal assist system in the MAX drive (using torque sensing), wouldn't seem to difficult to migrate the technology into the BBSxx line up...

Back