My Hydra's Kindernay hub is leaking

Just going to compare apples to oranges here.

My buddy has a similar bike as your Hydra, An Exess HP E180 with the Ultra/Archon X1 motor and also has the upgrade to 2200w and he has been running a Rohloff 14spd rear hub on his and hasn't had any issues.
Only been a couple of months so far but he's not easy on it at all.
Zero street riding, all single track and enduro riding.
Not a drop of oil.

He swears by it and not at it.
Sorry for your troubles.

What's the point of this post as it has NO relation to the OP's thread?
Ya gotta wonder.......

I was just speculating when I commented that the hub started leaking after a high watt/high speed ride. It could just be a coincidence.
The only thing I know for sure is something in the hub failed.
There has been some postings about Kindernay leaking hubs, but there has also been posting on Rohloff hubs leaking.
Pushkar told me, in one of our phone conversations, that the reason he stopped using Rohloff hubs was they weren't holding up to the Archon X1's high power output.

The point I was making was a similar bike, similar internal hub, same higher wattage motor and controller, no leak.
Thats why I prefaced my comment with the apples to oranges comparison.

My buddy has a similar bike as your Hydra, An Exess HP E180 with the Ultra/Archon X1 motor and also has the upgrade to 2200w and he has been running a Rohloff 14spd rear hub on his and hasn't had any issues.
Only been a couple of months so far but he's not easy on it at all.
Zero street riding, all single track and enduro riding.
Not a drop of oil.

He swears by it and not at it.
Sorry for your troubles.

View attachment 159683
View attachment 159685
Hey Greeno, glad to see he's loving the Rohloff on his setup. I've been running my Rohloff/Ultra on my Luna Z1 since May, beating the crap out of it, off-road, max amp draw, 1100-1500W. No issues.

-Deacon Blues, I would think it's not the power delivered by the Ultra causing the oil leak. Just like some Rohloffs have oil leaks, I'd say it's "luck of the draw". Probably a bad oil seal. Either a manufacturing defect in the seal, or the way it was seated from the factory.

Mine Kindernay VII leaks the same, I just ignore it, I'm OK with it, it looks like all Kindenay VII leak, this is how it is designed.

I also have Kindernay XIV and it does not leak (at least not that bad).

Mine Kindernay VII leaks the same, I just ignore it, I'm OK with it, it looks like all Kindenay VII leak, this is how it is designed.

I also have Kindernay XIV and it does not leak (at least not that bad).
I would think that if this was the case Kindernay would say something like, "The hub was designed to leak under higher than normal load. Don't worry, just add more fluid and continue on."
Having said that, I hope you're right. I don't want to go through this process again.

My Kindernay hub arrived yesterday. Big 'thumbs up' to Kindernay for its excellent aftermarket support. Shipped August 7th from Norway and arrived on my doorstep (west coast of Canada) on August 10th.
Installed the new hub today

IMG_3044.jpeg

Drained the old hub before shipping back to Kindernay.

IMG_3042.jpeg

Old oil.

IMG_3043.jpeg

I'd be really interesting in finding out if the problem has been fixed. I don't want to have this hub start leaking again in six months, but if it does I think I may just do what @TPEHAK does, and live with it.

I've installed the new hub and taken the bike for a couple of rides. Shifting is very good, but the hub seems noisier than my old hub.

If it is a new hub, they are noisier when new, so it should quiet over time.

I would ask Kindernay to keep you posted on their findings for the leak (if they would accept...)
I had very similar issue with mine (leaks, 5th gear stopped to engage, etc.). They replaced it (and new one already had more miles on it than faulty one), however even I asked them to get back to me with some info about why old hub failed, I never heard back :(

Hello everyone. I have also been concerned about oil loss on my Kinderay VII for some time. That's why I changed the oil every 1000km to make sure there was always enough oil. Unfortunately a defect has now occurred. The hub has blocked and now you can no longer shift gears. I wrote to Kinderay and i am now waiting for a reply. I only drove about 8000km with my hub. I have now converted back to normal derailleur gears. Unfortunately, I can't recommend this hub to anyone at the moment

Hello everyone. I have also been concerned about oil loss on my Kinderay VII for some time. That's why I changed the oil every 1000km to make sure there was always enough oil. Unfortunately a defect has now occurred. The hub has blocked and now you can no longer shift gears. I wrote to Kinderay and i am now waiting for a reply. I only drove about 8000km with my hub. I have now converted back to normal derailleur gears. Unfortunately, I can't recommend this hub to anyone at the moment
Sorry to hear that, but looks like there is systematic defect the hub has relates to bad sealing and oil loss. Kindernay was very responsive before and I got replacement for my hub about a year ago. However both hubs and many other parts are out of stock on their web site for about the whole 2023, which makes me think the business is not going well and the story of Kindernay hubs might be coming to it's end (hope I am wrong here, but it feels this way).
My replacement hub works fine so far (around 5000 km on it, had some issues with shifting solved by oils change and shifter bleeding), but I am not sure if it will survive another year. Looking around for potential alternatives now. Rohloff is always there and now there is new 3x3 hub option is there (if you feel adventurous to use new hub from new company, how Kindernay was before).
I am really sad since conceptually Kindernay did everything right and it is perfect hub for me (wheel cage to easily swap wheels, reasonable size, wright and torque ratings, ability to use regular 6-bold brake rotors, super cool hydraulic shifter) - I literally have nothing to ask more. If only they did a better job with sealing and were able to keep oil inside it :(

Last edited:
I've looked at the 3x3 hub before and would be very interested in it, but unfortunately they don't sell the 3x3 to end customers but only to bicycle manufacturers. If anyone knows how to buy a 3x3 hub privately, I would be very interested..... And yes Kindernay VII is a great hub! Unfortunately, as you say correctly, longlive is not guaranteed...

they don't sell the 3x3 to end customers but only to bicycle manufacturers.
I saw it at least here available for purchase. Didn't check if it is actually in stock and being shipped though.

P.S. why not Rohloff? Looks like Rohloff is the most reputable and reliable hub by far. Any reason to prefer 3x3?

Thank you very much for the tip where you can buy the 3x3! Basically because of the high torque that the hub can absorb, but also the gear ratio is ideal for my needs. But you're right, I'll definitely take a closer look at Rohloff again.

Back