My first e-bike. China "ivelo". Questions of adding throttle.

Savutin

Hi!

I just got this used "Ivelo" e-bike. It's pedal assisted only, and I'm a bit disappointed as I expected it to have a full electrical mode/throttle.. Now I have opened it up and had a look at the controller to see if there might be a place for a throttle but doesn't seem like it...
Is it possible to to connect a throttle to the connection of the existing PAS sensor...? Is this a stupid idea to try...?

Also I will include some photos. If someone knows how I could connect a working throttle to the controller I would be thankful of the information!!!

IMG_20190420_160954.jpg15558042673293261710213970558586.jpgIMG_20190420_213707.jpg

Welcome to the site.
Usually it is easier to buy a controller with a throttle. You have to match the voltage to your battery. The kind of connector on your motor depends on which controller you buy. The connectors don't have names in english, you have to match the picture.
In your picture I see a couple of maybe brake shutoff switch connectors, no throttle connector.

Hey. thank you indianajo!

Yea this is what I read too... That I need to replace the controller. Just for curiosity, what would happen if I connected a throttle whit 3 cables ground, +5v and signal to the now PAS connection...? Would that not maybe work ... Somehow I see this working in my head. :D

Could someone help me whit identifying the functions of the different colour coded wires...? All the information is helpful as I can't really find much information of this bike online...

From the motor comes one thick cable whit 9 wires. 3 thick wires yellow, green, blue (3 phase lines). 6 thin wires black, white, green blue, yellow and red. not sure about these... dose anyone know what the different wires functions are? Is the colour coded wires usually the same in all e-bike motors...?

PAS 3 wires. black, white and red. (ground, 5v, and signal)..

4 wires going up to the handle bar red, black, green and yellow. not really sure about these wires, must be related to the display and brakes probably but what is what...?

Hi Savutin. That looks like a fun bike. You took off the battery and exposed the controller. Is there an on/off switch for the battery?

Throttle and PAS on controllers have very different signals. Throttle is an analog DC voltage. Controller looks at voltage to see how fast to spin motor. PAS is digital pulses generated by a chip inside that ring around your pedal axle. The controller counts them to figure out how fast to spin the motor. Some smart people have built circuits that allow a throttle to act like a PAS. Easier to change controllers.

Your picture doesn't show any display. What's up there? Is there a battery indicator and a start button? That would be four wires, battery power, ground, start, and brakes, but you would have to measure them to be sure. The big connector is motor phases (three heavy wires). The six wire connector is for the Hall sensors and speed sensor (not used) in your motor. The last one is your PAS connector.

You picked a sensorless controller. They will usually work with the sensored motor that is on your bike, but not always. I counted the leads and it looks compatible, except there is no lead for a start button. The controller would always be on. I believe it could work, but it's not so simple.

Are you good with electronics and soldering? The PAS plugs and motor plugs are completely different. Those wires need to be spliced. Do you know how to find power/ground, identify the battery power, or check continuity between two leads?

Hi Savutin. That looks like a fun bike. You took off the battery and exposed the controller. Is there an on/off switch for the battery?

Throttle and PAS on controllers have very different signals. Throttle is an analog DC voltage. Controller looks at voltage to see how fast to spin motor. PAS is digital pulses generated by a chip inside that ring around your pedal axle. The controller counts them to figure out how fast to spin the motor. Some smart people have built circuits that allow a throttle to act like a PAS. Easier to change controllers.

Your picture doesn't show any display. What's up there? Is there a battery indicator and a start button? That would be four wires, battery power, ground, start, and brakes, but you would have to measure them to be sure. The big connector is motor phases (three heavy wires). The six wire connector is for the Hall sensors and speed sensor (not used) in your motor. The last one is your PAS connector.

You picked a sensorless controller. They will usually work with the sensored motor that is on your bike, but not always. I counted the leads and it looks compatible, except there is no lead for a start button. The controller would always be on. I believe it could work, but it's not so simple.

Are you good with electronics and soldering? The PAS plugs and motor plugs are completely different. Those wires need to be spliced. Do you know how to find power/ground, identify the battery power, or check continuity between two leads?
The on/off switch is on the battery, when you connect it on the bike it powers up everything. The key in the bike is a bit useless as it only locks the battery in its position.

I will scrap the idea of connecting the throttle to the PAS then... I'm not very smart :D...

The display is quite useless as well... it toggles between the two pedal assisted modes, turns on the head light and a speedmeter. I don't think there's a brake wire other then for the brake lights, it's got disc brakes on the front and rear hub.

Should I try to cancel the order and get one whit a sensor, how likely will it be that the controller and motor will not be compatible?? The start button doesn't matter as when you switch on the bike from the battery everything powers on. What's the difference of a sensor less motor and a motor whit sensor + the difference in the controllers...? Could you educate me a bit on this ...? Or link something about the subject.

To find out power, ground and battery power I need to get a multimeter, right ...?

I feel confident switching the controller on this miracle of China, just need to get the right controller and find the right wires...

I can't see what you have on the handlebars, You said it shows the speed, allows you to select two pedal assist levels, and turns on head lights. I don't understand your wires if it can do all of that. You didn't say if if this unit shows battery level either.

When you change controller, the main problem is getting it to work with an existing handlebar display to do the above functions.

If you buy a controller together with the display, so you know for sure that the wiring will work,

I noticed this one. You still have to buy a throttle. It looks like one I bought a few years ago. I don't use it because I wanted one with a little more power. This one is 11 amps, probably enough for your bike.

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07FZTK13B...&pd_rd_r=c290eea0-649a-11e9-9480-23b4243a39e8

I have one like this one, from PSWpower, but I don't like the price. Mine included the brake levers and throttle.
https://www.amazon.es/pswpower-escobillas-controlador-simulación-cuadrada/dp/B077YBX44W/ref=sr_1_13?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=controlador+de+motor+sin+escobillas+led&qid=1555895650&s=sports&sr=1-13

And there are LED displays for less expense. It is also less complex since showing the speed on an LCD means you need a speed sensor.
https://www.amazon.es/VGEBY1-Controlador-escobillas-Bicicleta-Impermeable/dp/B07JM8W6PN/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=controlador+sin+escobillas+de+motor+de+36v+350w+con+led&qid=1555896468&s=sports&sr=1-1-fkmrnull

Read the controller descriptions. Make sure it supports multiole level pedal assist and throttle.

No battery level indication on the display. I assume it's the series of 4 flashing lights on the battery.

The controller in the first link is exactly the same that I first intended to order that you told is sensor less...? It's just whitout the display. Didn't you say the controller was sensor less.. ? By "sensor less" you mean the "hall sensor"?

In both of the pictures of the controller it says "XLD Brainpower motor controller" so if the controller is the same as in the photos then they should be exactly the same.

The pictures might just be a generic photo of a controller... I will order 2 different controllers a multimeter and the throttle. They will arrive on Friday. I will report back whit questions... :D

The pictures of the controllers you post are rather bad. It is up to you to match the connector(s) on the motor to the ones on the new controller. It would be easier to buy a throttle PAS sensor controller display and brake switches from the same vendor. Since I don't have experience in Spain, I don't know who that would be.
I have found on amazon & ebay, connectors on devices as shipped are sometimes different than pictured. Boxing the product up, taking it to the post office/freight office and shipping it back is up to you, to get your money back.

I didn't see the Hall connector in this photo, but they are there in the other photos. They also sho w pictures of different controller too.
controlador.jpg

The connectors on the bike are glued in to the connections on the controller. (seems like hot glue?) I probably need to cut the wires and put on new connectors anyways... (this is where I fear I will mix up the wiring.)
I will check the connectors on the controllers when I receive them and order some matching ones to connect to the motor, throttle, PAS, brakes etc.., when I know which ones I need.

I see that the photos of the controllers on amazon are very miss leading. The controller in the photo is probably not the controller I will receive in the packet... Not much to do about it other then hope its one compatible to my miracle of china. ?

I got a controller from Amazon! The cables are un markes and it doesn't come whit instructions soo this might get interesting :D... Still need the throttle before I start the guessing game, it will come on Friday.

I would like to identify all the cables that I need to connect now so I can order matching connectors to the bike.

I saw this video of connecting a controller on YouTube --->
Do you guys think that's about right??

Here's a picture of my controller.IMG_20190424_145106.jpg
Wires separated and numbered.
I'm not shure if I have my cables right... Could some one please check this and tell me if I got something wrong...?

Also the controller is 36v 350w and my motor is 36v 250w. Is that ok..?

Thank you for the help in advance!! :)

350W is fine, but how do you change assist levels? How do you invoke cruise? How do you turn on lights. Where did you see it has self learning? What starts the controller? Lots of info is missing. Is there a handlebar control unit supplied with it? You know that old one won't be compatible.

I think you should find another one or find someone who can read the chinese kabels.

There is no handle bar control on the bike except the display in the middle. I ordered a 36v throttle control whit a on/off switch and battery level indicator.

It's a self learning wire. I have translated the Chinese...
The two wires whit red connectors that I numbered 5 and 6 are "anti burglary allarms" so these I don't need to care of them...
Screenshot_20190424-193848.pngScreenshot_20190424-194423.png

The conector/wire number 11 is a 3 speed connector. I guess it would some how need to be connected to the display so you could change speeds but, I think I will pass on the old display and just short the wires on the 3 speed controll conector to be on full power all the time.
I don't think I will use the cruise function... Lights would be useful but it's not a must. The controller is started by putting in the battery and turning it on from the button on the battery, as it has been from the start.

I just want my bike to pedal normally and to use the motor when turning the throttle.

the thing is now I'm left whit one connection whit 3 wires (number 4 in the picture) this one has to be the throttle/PAS but which one is it....? If it's a PAS then the whole point of this is gone as I wanted a throttle... Any ideas if I can connect a throttle to the connection number 4..?
.IMG_20190424_200730.jpg

Nice translation work. What does your connector #8 do? Maybe it's a display connector, You need a way to turn on the cruise and lights,

I will guess the red-blue-black three pin plug is a throttle input, this might be a scooter controller and then you have no pedal assist input. Or your translation is wrong and one of the three pin inputs is throttle and the other is PAS.

With self learning, I do not think you need much connected to see it self learn. Only motor phases and Hall connector, but since you have no connectors, you're not doing that. Still you can try to see if you understand how the controller is started. You could connect battery power and see if you had 5 volts on the Hall connector. You might find that you have to do something more.

I would have not started this job until I found a controller, throttle, display, brake switches, PAS sensor, from the SAME vendor: designed to work together. It also has to match the connector you have on the motor. I know of 3 types motor hall effect connector and I'm don't work at a bike shop. There probably are more. In the US we have Luna & ebikeling that provide integrated packages like this. I have no idea who does that in Europe. Amazon/ebay/alibaba sell one part at a time, and nothing is guarenteed or designed to work with anything else. I can't even find brake pads with dimension, everybody is so satisfied to buy from a picture.

Back