My first e-bike. China "ivelo". Questions of adding throttle.

Last edited:
Yes Connector #8 is probably a display connector. The translation of the label doesn't make any sense so I can't confirm it yet.

I enjoy challenges like this, I guess its half the fun for me :D. I probably would have found a kit that has everything but, the pricing on the Spanish amazon is just nuts. Over 100e for a kit like this this when I could buy it all separately for under half the prize.

I got the other controller and the throttle from Amazon today! I think I will go whit the other smaller controller I got today. Its called "XLD Brainpower Motor Controller" model:KSLZ05. Its got throttle, PAS, brake light, cruise, self learning, hall sensor and 3 phase line. there's still one connector I have no clue what it is and nothing is labelled. I have found good information on the controller at the endless-sphere forum. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96736 many of the connectors seem to be different though... I connected the controller to the battery and measured 5v from the hall sensor connector, so far so good! Now the next question. The wires coming from the motor: 3 phase wires, 6 smaller wires, black, red, white, green, blue and yellow. the hall sensor connector on the controller again only has 5 wires...black, red, blue, green and yellow. Theres one wire too much on the motor wires for the hall connector.. what's that for and which on is it...? I think I will just end up guessing and seeing whats going to happen when I connect it...

Next day continuing writing post...----->>

So now I connected the controller to the battery, motor phase and hall. The extra wire seems to be for reversing the spin of the motor... Now it works! Now I just need to figure out a way to fit the controller in the frame of the bike because it's a bit too big... I might try to cut the existing hole a bit bigger whit my Dremel tool so the controller fits inside the bikes frame nicely. The old controller did not have a heat sink so now this one will not fit... Over all really happy how this worked out! :) I will post a video and some photos when I get everything finished! IMG_20190427_212152.jpg1556393653401774443508152662715.jpg

Well always something... Now the pedal assist sensor kicks in when pedaling backwards and not forwards .. :D any ideas how to reverse it ...? There's only 3 cables positive, ground and negative...

The Pedal assist sensor is intended to work only in one direction. You mounted it backwards. If it's a one piece unit, you install it on the other side or turn it around. If the disk and and sensor are two different pieces, you flip one of them around 180 degrees. You will figure it out. Everyone has done this by mistake.

The white wire on a hall sensor connector is commonly used as a speed sensor. If you motor doesn't have one internal to the motor, then you use an external sensor. Often, they provide a 3 pin connector for that purpose and it will have +5V and ground. If not, then you're making one. Otherwise, you won't see the speed on the LCD when coasting.

Running the brainpower w/o a LCD? I guess you don't need a speed sensor. With mine, when I asked for documentation, they sent me to their aliexpress page. I was unhappy, but it was all there.

wiring.jpg

Does your kit has a little potentiometer hanging off some wires. I had to buy two of these Brainpower units. The first one, I didn't read the words carefully.It was set up for throttle priority. They wanted you to control the speed with the throttle. Any pedaling got you max speed. Well I kept it. It was only $24USD. I bought a second one where pedal assist was prioritized. Slow pedal was slow speed. Throttle was any speed. They added a potentiometer where I could limit the max throttle speed, maybe for legal reasons, but it was never a fast controller.

Ok. Thanks, I was thinking I can't receive it now :D...

Problem is the crank is really stuck it's not moving at all... I think I should take it to the bike shop where they have the right tools to get the crank lose. I will brake it if I try hitting it harder.

No LCD, and I don't think there's anything for a display. I'm actually not left whit a lot of wires...
IMG_20190428_000929.jpg

That's the ignition, break lights, cruise control and a one I have no idea what it could be...? It's got two conectors on it...?

15564034666692980882285861872792.jpg

When the PAS is working backwards it seems as it it's on full speed, for me at least for now it's fine. Maybe I will change my mind after I have been riding it for a while... I payd 17euros for the controller and 15e for the throttle, not bad at all. I also ordered one other controller which now is unused but, I will find out a new project to utilize it soon ! :)

I have a BMX bike I would like to try to add a motor too, it's a really light bike I imagine it would work well..

You will need the LCD to set a lower PAS level. With none, it defaults to one of the 5 levels. Here they chose the max. Only the Brainpower LCD will work with it.

Double connector with white/black wire is for the e-brake motor cut-offs. It's shown in the pic I attached.

Back