Motorcycle Carrier instead of Bike Rack?

BHP

I have a RadRover on order and have zeroed in on the 1UPUSA Super duty rack with the fat tire conversion parts-over $400 but it looks like a quality unit.

Just perusing Amazon and came across a couple of hitch mounted motorcycle carriers with ramps for under $200. Here's the links:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015MX26VA?psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MGKN2A?psc=1

I was wondering if anyone had used these before for this purpose or what the thought was towards these? I know these are a little less convenient than the 1UPUSA rack as far as having to use straps to hold the bike, but the price difference is pretty significant.

Bill

I don't have experience with one of the ones you showed but, they seem a great deal sturdier for heavier bikes like the ones we ride.

I've used that type hauler and one like that for two off road motorcycles. both worked great but are a good deal heavier than you need. Still they would work well. I'd look for aluminum over steel.

I love the 1UPUSA Super Duty rack. It takes me about 10 seconds to install or remove (seriously). Quality build for sure.

Yea, I ended up biting the bullet for the 1UPUSA super duty with fat tire conversion. Very nice, solid unit!

Thanks for the replies!

Went with the 1upUSA Double Bicycle Super Duty Quik Rack with fat tire spacers. Very well built, easy on/off, holds bikes quite secure just with the locking arms. I used a couple straps to boost my confidence on a 4 hour journey. Here's a picture of a couple of radrovers taking a ride:

1uprack-7.JPG
1uprack-6.JPG

dm nelson you probably have already seen this and accommodated, but i think the pedals on 2 fat bikes can rotate back and hit each other or the frames when on the 1up

i bungee mine or velcro strap them

i learned about this the hard way

dm nelson you probably have already seen this and accommodated, but i think the pedals on 2 fat bikes can rotate back and hit each other or the frames when on the 1up

i bungee mine or velcro strap them

i learned about this the hard way
thanks Vincent, I'll make sure to secure the pedals with a strap. in fact, I'm loading up the bikes soon for an excursion up a beautiful mtn road in a nearby valley, perhaps with a foto or two. :)

[QUOTE="hfk2[/QUOTE]

The 1up is quite a nice, well made, and yes, expensive rack. But I use it for two ebikes, usually. If I had only one bike to carry then I would have considered the Hollywood Racks Ebike Hitch Rack. It is quite helpful to have a platform-type rack for these heavy bikes. I'm sure that my old Thule hitch rack for 4 bikes would have been strong enough for one 60+ pound bike. But hanging the bike from the top tube takes a bit more effort to secure than the platform. Another consideration is making sure the rack matches with your hitch's capacity. If an adapter is used, then the tongue weight capacity is only half, eg 200 lb limit is cut to 100 lb. It's nice to be able to carry the bikes off to beautiful places to ride, from time to time. Happy riding

I was considering a motorcycle carrier -vs- the 1UP. My old 2" hitch Softride hanging 4-bike rack would be at its max weight limit with two Radrovers. I was thinking the motorcycle carrier w/ ramp would be easier for my wife to mount the bike if she wanted (she only 4'11"). I decided against either one because I sometimes need to carry 3-4 bikes at a time and the 1UP got very expensive with attachments.

Ended up going with the Saris Freedom SuperClamp 4 Bike Rack and added the fat tire trays for my ebikes. Right place at the right time and I found a returned Saris unit on Amazon for $540 instead of the usual $800. The wife still cannot mount the Radrovers; but, I can mount/dismount 1-4 bikes when needed in a few minutes. I think only the 2" hitch version of the SuperClamp 4 (not the 1 1/4" hitch size Superclamp 2) can handle the +60lbs each of two ebikes and the + 30lbs each of two regular bikes (500lbs tongue weight on my SUV).

On a recent week long trip to the Grand Canyon, I removed the second outer bike rack (two bolts only) since I was only taking the two Radrovers. Pretty much a 5 min job to covert to/from a 2-4 bike rack.

The only issues I have with the Saris are:
- Have to leave the rear Radrover kickstands down when mounted or I can't secure the clamps on the tires in the correct position.
- Both Topeak fat tire bike racks rub against the left front forks when mounted. Had to add protective rubber strip to the forks because the contact was rubbing the paint off one side the racks and forks during transport.
- There is some play in the joint to raise/lower the bike rack for hatch access. Tightening the bolt on the joint helps; but, it does still have a little play over bumps/turns.

I'm going with the same aluminum motorcycle rack as hfk2.
The reasons are I'm old! And don't want to be lifting the ebike. Plus, I only have one bike to transport.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this cargo rack on amazon. It can carry up to 4 bikes and has loops that lift and Velcro strap to your wheels. It also has a tie down loop on the tongue side and a small slide out extension for the tail side. Loads quickly and very secure. I like that it gives us a cargo rack if we need it so making it dual purpose..

Attachments

• 20180602_195536.jpg
    20180602_195536.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4,162
Hi BHP and welcome to this wonderful and helpful site. The people on this site are extremely helpful. Just as an alternative, look on Harbor Freight site for cargo carriers. For $50.00 you can get a 300 lb capacity carrier that can accommodate your bike very easily. It weighs just 28lbs. it requires a 2” receiver, but you can get a reducer to 1 1/4”.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Hi BHP and welcome to this wonderful and helpful site. The people on this site are extremely helpful. Just as an alternative, look on Harbor Freight site for cargo carriers. For $50.00 you can get a 300 lb capacity carrier that can accommodate your bike very easily. It weighs just 28lbs. it requires a 2” receiver, but you can get a reducer to 1 1/4”.
Good luck and keep us informed.
Thanks! Hadn't thought of cargo carriers!

I have a Harbor Freight cargo carrier but, personally, I would never use it to carry my bike unless I had to. Or maybe if I only needed to carry my bike once a year or so. I'm clever at strapping things down, and it can certainly be done, but a purpose-built bike rack is going to make carrying your bike securely much, much, easier and safer. Sudden stops and bumps in the road could too easily cause your bike to end up under the car behind you.

TT

Back