Which bike rack?

Ok I have 2 eBikes, 1 ET Cycle T1000 which is about 75 Lbs with battery and the wife's bike is a ES300 LankCruiser weighing in at 60 Lbs. So the two racks I am concentering the 1Up duel bike or the Thule t2 pro xtr.

It will behind a Audi Q7 with a 2" receiver. The problem with the 1Up is that I live in Canada so that means exchange rate, shipping and taxes. The Thule I can get in Canada.

The question I really have is, for the ones that are using one of these two bike racks, how much weight are you actually putting on these carriers? The 1Up Super Duty says 50-75 lbs per bike. The Thule t2 pro xtr says 60 lbs per bike. I know if I remove the batteries I am a little lighter. How far are you traveling with the bikes on your rack and have they shown any signs of stress?

Bruce
Couldn't recommend the 1UP more. It's very nice. The 1UP Super Duty Double has a carrying capacity of 225lbs. It's 75lbs per bike if carrying three bikes max. The Heavy Duty has a carrying capacity of 200lbs. I purchased 4 of the bike locks, they keyed all of them to the same key as the hitch lock.

The keyed wheel locks are just one of the features I like about 1Up. I find about half the time I only need one tray for my emtb so having the lighter SD single is easier when it comes to installing and removing the rack. If I’m hauling two bikes, attaching the add-on only takes a couple of minutes. I also acquired the fat tire spacer kit.

IMG_20220121_1129233.jpg

For winter transport, I fabricated tray inserts made from heat molded acrylic and glued strips of HD rubber mat to protect the powder coat from being scraped up by the studded tires.

IMG_20220121_1123397.jpg

To me the weak point any rack is the attachment point at the hitch receiver and how it locks into place. I personally would avoid a rack that merely uses a threaded bolt/hitch pin to secure it especially if there is no anti wobble system involved. Racks such as the Easyfold, 1Up, Kuat Piston Pro employ either a steel wedge/bearing which applies force from inside the receiver which guarantees that the rack will not move around at all. Also, check into the warranty of some of these DTC racks and whether or not they can provide replacement parts if required. Bottom line is you pay for what you get.
I have had a KAC rack for some time, and am very satisfied with it. But I somehow lost or "misplaced" the short hook (the hooks go over the top bar, or in our case, the adapter between the steering head and the seat post). I was able to get a replacement (at no charge) from KAC, but it was made to fit a square vertical post, not an oblong one like mine. So rather than send it back, I got busy in my shop and modified it so it will work.

I should mention that it was not easy persuading the representative that I really needed the hook and was ready to pay for it, even though it turned out to be free.
The KAC does have the threaded bolt for the receiver, and it really locks the rack in place so there is no wobble.

Couldn't recommend the 1UP more. It's very nice. The 1UP Super Duty Double has a carrying capacity of 225lbs. It's 75lbs per bike if carrying three bikes max. The Heavy Duty has a carrying capacity of 200lbs. I purchased 4 of the bike locks, they keyed all of them to the same key as the hitch lock.
Thanks Tom, I to really like the 1Up but doing the math and getting it up to Canada was just more then what I wanted to spend. I tried finding a used one up here and they just don't exist used very often. I did find one and it was sold right away.

If I had plans on using this a lot I would jump at the 1Up but I am sure this is going to be more of a garage ordainment then anything else. I will use it but very little. It's just nice to know it's there if I need it. I ended up with a great deal on a Thule Easy Fold thanks to Prairie Dog who found the add for me and I got some good feed back from others on here that owned one.

Bruce

I have a Hyperax Volt 2. Love it. Holds up to 70# per bike.

My son used it this winter to take his Trek e-bike to Gatlinburg, about a 1600 miles round trip. No problems at all. The rack folds up nicely and I can store it in my trunk.

I agree with others who have said you need to take off the bike's battery so it doesn't get damaged.

https://hyperax.co/products/volt2

Lifelong biker. My heavenly retirement job has been working for the past 15 years at a large bike store north of Toronto. I ride studded electric Norco
Bigfoot VLT in the winter, and Como or Vado, and sometimes a Specialized Sequoia, in the summer. We are blessed with great road, mtn and railtrail biking all around us. Unfortunately for a lot of it I must use a car rack to access.
In the past I have owned Thule 's, a few Yakima's, Kuat NV 2.0, and various other racks, each bought mostly to test before I sell to customers, many of whom are friends. As someone aready mentioned, The Easyfold is one of the nicest ebike packages out there, except for the spacing between bikes. If paying the price for import (have dealt with cross-border shopping hassle. They can make your day REALLY miserable) the QuikrStuff would be my choice. Truly beautiful racks, just way too expensive to bring to Canada. Same with the 1Up.
Currently using a T2 Pro for summer (Como and Vado with fenders) and all I do is put a foam piece under the fender to stop crushing. And if your crushing the fender your probably pushing down too hard on the wheel hook. As for scratching the fenders, we are not riding hanger queens. Other than the beauties that Petaluma builds, I feel my bikes are meant to be ridden, and if a few scratches happen, grab some model paint and fix em. Have yet to scratch any of my fenders and we travel to the Carolina's a couple times a year thru often nasty weather.
Next rack will be a Kuat Piston Pro. I hate to subject it to the salt, etc on the roads to the trails, but my new fat bike has really tall and really wide tires that the T2 struggles to handle.

Best of luck with the Easyfold. They are a nice rack.

Last edited:
Back