Which bike rack?

Brew61

Region
Canada
Ok I have 2 eBikes, 1 ET Cycle T1000 which is about 75 Lbs with battery and the wife's bike is a ES300 LankCruiser weighing in at 60 Lbs. So the two racks I am concentering the 1Up duel bike or the Thule t2 pro xtr.

It will behind a Audi Q7 with a 2" receiver. The problem with the 1Up is that I live in Canada so that means exchange rate, shipping and taxes. The Thule I can get in Canada.

The question I really have is, for the ones that are using one of these two bike racks, how much weight are you actually putting on these carriers? The 1Up Super Duty says 50-75 lbs per bike. The Thule t2 pro xtr says 60 lbs per bike. I know if I remove the batteries I am a little lighter. How far are you traveling with the bikes on your rack and have they shown any signs of stress?

Bruce

I personally have driven our Volvo with a pair of emtbs on a 1Up Superduty single with an add-on over 100 km without any issues. I can’t comment on the Thule but my neighbor who also uses a Thule Easyfold to carry a pair of Volt ebikes behind his Subaru Forester doesn’t appear to experience any problems with it either. What I love about my SD single with the add-on is that I have the option of either carrying one or two bikes. It’s all metal construction and the fact that it occupies a small corner of space in the garage also played a key role in my decision.

IMG_20220622_1223384.jpgIMG_20220526_2109001.jpg

Ok doing some more reading and looking at the racks online it looks like the Thule does not work with fenders. If that is correct that is going to suck because I found a few in my area used that are like new for 1/2 price of new.

I like the 1Up but I am not going to like the cost by the time I get it up to Canada. It looks like it would cost me over $1200 dollars by the time its done.

Bruce

Pricey I admit but the Thule Easyfold is also north of $1K but should accommodate fenders as it employs frame clamps. One up also carries fender cushions and wheel stops but depending on how far the fenders extend one could also move the wheel spools further down the arms to secure the tires/wheels in place.
Web capture_18-3-2023_20147_www.1up-usa.com.jpeg

Pricey I admit but the Thule Easyfold is also north of $1K but should accommodate fenders as it employs frame clamps. One up also carries fender cushions and wheel stops but depending on how far the fenders extend one could also move the wheel spools further down the arms to secure the tires/wheels in place.
View attachment 149617
Yes I didn't see the Easyfold but now seeing some YouTube videos on it I think that would work just fine. So I will keep am eye open for a good price.

Thanks

Yes I didn't see the Easyfold but now seeing some YouTube videos on it I think that would work just fine. So I will keep am eye open for a good price.

Thanks
Just so you know, our neighbors drove all the way to Vancouver Island and back with their 60lb Volt bikes in tow on the Easyfold and never reported any issues with it.

I am also a Canadian, I bought a KAC rack online and I am really satisfied. Their prices are competitive even with all the extra cost.

Last edited:
I have used an Easy Fold for over two years. I have two Pedego bikes with fenders. Multiple interstate trips with no problems.

In 2016, we purchased a "Rage Powersports Elevate BC-08581-2A-2EXT" rack through Amazon.com. We drove the 100 miles to the U.S. and picked it up. The rack is mounted to a 2" receiver on our Subaru Outback, and has been used to carry my Haibike, and DW's BH. The rack is rated for 132 pounds, and has no troubles carrying our two bikes. After 6 years of heavy use, the rack is still in good shape.

We live in a cabin in the woods, in The Madawaska Highlands of Ontario, local cycling opportunities are present, but very limited; as a result, we transport our bikes, pretty much a couple of times per week; the rack has an excellent clamping system for the bikes, and it is easy to load/unload the bikes. Weighing around 60 pounds, is not too difficult to install/remove the rack. The rack is fully adjustable, the tray can be tilted, to give access to the rear of the vehicle, and also flipped up against the support bracket. There is some play between the rack and the receiver, which can be eliminated by using a threaded pin, but since we normally mount/remove the rack a couple of times/week, we use a regular pin and live with the wobble.

The current price of the rack is $309.99 U.S.; it appears that you can get the rack through Amazon.ca, but the price jumps to over $900 Canadian. You may be able to find the rack from a U.S. supplier who will ship to Canada, or worst case, have the rack sent to a UPS store in the U.S., and drive down and get it.

Google is your friend; the Rage Powersport rack is available for $650 cdn, through Walmart.ca., delivered to a store near you.

I should note that the rack comes with an extension which will hold an additional 2 bikes. I have not used this feature, but I did use the mounting bracket for the extension to hold a pair of lights on a light-bar that I plug into the trailer light wiring harness in our Outbacks

To me the weak point any rack is the attachment point at the hitch receiver and how it locks into place. I personally would avoid a rack that merely uses a threaded bolt/hitch pin to secure it especially if there is no anti wobble system involved. Racks such as the Easyfold, 1Up, Kuat Piston Pro employ either a steel wedge/bearing which applies force from inside the receiver which guarantees that the rack will not move around at all. Also, check into the warranty of some of these DTC racks and whether or not they can provide replacement parts if required. Bottom line is you pay for what you get.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, I will do a little more home work. I did find a place close to me that sells the Easyfold for $1050 new. I am hoping I can find someone selling a good used one on Market place but have not seen one yet. I do have about 4 months before I need it so have a little bit of time to shop around. But I will have a good look at all the racks everyone mentions.

keep the replies coming, much appreciated.

Thanks
Bruce

I have a Thule EZ Fold, and had no problems while using it. However, the distance between bikes (I think it was 9” on-center between tires) became a problem when I bought a new bike, as it didn’t play nice with my wife’s bike. I then bought the Kuat Piston Pro, as it has more distance between the two slots (about 2-2.5 inches wider, if I recall), and I’ve been happy with it.

The downside of the Piston Pro is it’s quite heavy. If I could have I’d waited six months, I’d have bought the Quickrstuff Mach 2. Perhaps their back order situation has improved.

EDIT: It looks like Quikrstuff is only about 5-6 weeks out now.

I have a Thule EZ Fold, and had no problems while using it. However, the distance between bikes (I think it was 9” on-center between tires) became a problem when I bought a new bike, as it didn’t play nice with my wife’s bike. I then bought the Kuat Piston Pro, as it has more distance between the two slots (about 2-2.5 inches wider, if I recall), and I’ve been happy with it.

The downside of the Piston Pro is it’s quite heavy. If I could have I’d waited six months, I’d have bought the Quickrstuff Mach 2. Perhaps their back order situation has improved.

EDIT: It looks like Quikrstuff is only about 5-6 weeks out now.
Yes took a look at the Quikrstuff , looks like a quality rack. The biggest negative about that is the price tag for us Canadians. I would be looking at well over $2000 to get it and its very similar to the 1Up which is almost half the price. I will not be using the rack very often so that's a lot of cash for a garage ornament but very nice rack.

Thanks
Bruce

QuikrStuff makes an excellent hitch rack with so many great features but like the 1UP and Kuat PP, it might also be out of the OP’s budget as exchange is a killer. Kuat PPs are selling up here for $1800Cdn. I came across a new Thule Easyfold on Pinkbike selling for $470Cdn. @Brew61 - You’re on the west coast are you not?

Yes I am just about 20 miles outside of Vancouver. I have sent the gentleman a message. hopefully he gets back to me. Thanks for finding that. I have never heard of that site before.

Bruce

Yes I am just about 20 miles outside of Vancouver. I have sent the gentleman a message. hopefully he gets back to me. Thanks for finding that. I have never heard of that site before.

Bruce
PB is a great place to buy/sell new or used gear, apparel or anything bike related or not. I’ve sold many items and purchased a few that have saved me $$. Like any e-trade transactions, it’s buyer beware and one needs to tread on the side of caution. If it’s too good to be true, then it’s likely a scam. That being said, I’ve always adhered to a few sound guidelines and have never been stung.

I suspect that rack is new as in an unused model for display purposes. Best to make certain that all parts are intact and that nothing is missing that might affect its performance or impact the assembly of the product. A quick reconciliation of the actual Thule product part list with the Audi dealer might be in order. Since it's fully assembled, I don't think there should be a problem.

Last edited:
Here is the one I use, can also be found in 2 place,
Make sure you get the type with the bolts, so you can fit for the wheel pockets
of your bike.
With welded cross member you have NO choice.

I also use this longer ramp, makes life very easy to roll up,
bike is almost a 100#'s when loaded to go riding.
HTH's
Don

Here is the one I use, can also be found in 2 place,
Thanks Don, I have seen those and also thought about it as well. But then reality starts to kick in and thinking about how heavy it's going to be as a two bike system and also, room it is going to take for storage and yada yada yada. I am not a spring chicken any more.

Then I have also thought I should just build my own, I mean I have a garage full of equipment, welder, drill press, grinders and paint equipment and so on then I give myself a slap in the the head and say "What are you thinking". I have this very bad habit of over building and I would need a hoist to move it around once I was done LOL. Now if I went out a bought the add on's for my welder to weld aluminum then I may rethink that. But right now I don't have the time and trying to down size for a big move this summer, ya just the wrong time right now to try that one out.

Bruce

Back